Does DSR or resolution scaling work with newer UE4 Games?

sgsrules
Two Eyed Hopeful

Does DSR or resolution scaling work with newer UE4 Games?

Post by sgsrules »

My projector will only support 3D in 720p so I normally use DSR to downscale 1440p to 720p. This has worked with almost every game in the past but for some reason newer UE4 games refuse to run at the higher res. They'll boot up at 1440p but will almost immediately switch to the native resolution. I first noticed this issue with Journey to a savage planet, but since then every UE4 game i've played has had the same issue, including Dark pictures: Little Hope and most recently The Pathless.

The games will let me select 1440p and it says it's using 1440p but they are clearly still running at 720p. I've tried using UE4's built in resolution scaling at 200% and that doesn't seem to do anything either. I've tried forcing the resolution and/or the ResolutionQuality in the GamerUserSettings.ini file and that doesn't work either. The ini and the game say they're running at the higher res but they're not. The issue doesn't seem to be 3D migoto related. When i try to run any of these game in 2D on my 1080p monitor downsampled from 4k that doesn't seem to work either.

I know this isn't specifically a 3D Vision issue, but since a lot of people probably super sample on lower res 3d displays I figured it would be a good place to ask or discuss.

Cheers!
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Does DSR or resolution scaling work with newer UE4 Games?

Post by RAGEdemon »

Thank you for this - Yes, I have the exact same issue - Life is strange 2 is also affected. I also tried the universal unreal engine unlocker to try to up the resolution but that doesn't work either.

Here is the kicker: It will work in borderless and windowed - just NOT in fullscreen, which is required for most 3DV games.

Partial workaround: set borderless in Little Hope - 3DV will work. Unsure if the same thing can be done in other problem games however. Please share your testing...
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
sgsrules
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sgsrules »

After a lot of mucking around with settings i finally figures out a solution that works! it looks like some UE4 games ignore the r.ScreenPercentage value, or it get's overwritten somewhere later. But if you edit:
C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\The Game\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

and add the following:

[ConsoleVariables]
r.ScreenPercentage=200.000000

it works!
200.000000 would be 200% scaling. Make sure you add the 6 trailing zeros, i found that some games will ignore the value and simply add another line underneath it that says r.ScreenPercentage=100.000000.

I'm assuming that what it going on is that some games are overriding any r.ScreenPercentage values with the default one used in ConsoleVariables which is not being set anywhere in the ini files.

I've successfully tested this in both Journey to a Savage Planet and The Pathless. I imagine that it should work with any game that is ignoring the regular r.ScreenPercentage value. It's not DSR but the end result is the same.
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

Do not forget to das write Projektion to the ini after changes:-)
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Can confirm fix also working in Life is Strange 2. Brilliant investigation and find sgsrules, thank you.

And Thank you Losti, for so much.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
floph
Cross Eyed!

Post by floph »

RAGEdemon wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:23 am Can confirm fix also working in Life is Strange 2. Brilliant investigation and find sgsrules, thank you.

And Thank you Losti, for so much.
+1
narhicfd
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by narhicfd »

I'm new to Nvidia and still learnin, but I was wondering if DSR is Nvidia equivalent of AMD's Virtual Super Resolution. If it is can it be used with 3D vision? I was a former AMD TriDef user and was able to use AMD Virtual Super Resolution with TriDef increasing 3D gameplay to fake 4k. If DSR isn't Nvidia equivalent of AMD Virtual Super Resolution, what is?
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Yes to everything above :)

Highly recommended:
-- Only use 4x DSR. Anything less will give bad quality. 4x DSR = exactly 2x H and 2x V resolution.
-- Set DSR smoothing to 0%
-- Use nVidia Sharpening @100% if you can stand it. It really brings textures to life.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”