Alien Isolation. Black screen but HUD, film grain, reticule & sound all work

P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Alien Isolation. Black screen but HUD, film grain, reticule & sound all work

Post by P.C.Zen »

As per the title. HUD, film grain, reticule and sound work but other than that it's a black screen.

The green text notes in the bottom right corner of the screen at launch say: "3D Compatibility mode off". Not sure if that's got something to do with it? I've checked the Nvidia control panel and 3D is set to on.

I'm running it on a fresh install of Win10 1809 and have tried it with both 425.31 and with the latest driver patched via 3D Fix Manager. Neither have worked.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Alien Isolation. Black screen but HUD, film grain, reticule & sound all work

Post by bo3bber »

I think this is also that ultra high convergence bug-

Set convergence to a known small number, or hold key down for a really long time.
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Re: Alien Isolation. Black screen but HUD, film grain, reticule & sound all work

Post by P.C.Zen »

bo3bber, thanks so much, it turns out 3D Compatibility was set to "off" by default for some reason...? ...I don't know if it's a change to the fix or to 3D Fix Manager or if it's specific to my new setup but I didn't have that issue before. No idea why it was like that.

It said it was set to "Off" in the green text notes but I assumed it could have potentially been referring to a native 3D mode that had to be disabled to make the fix work...? ...turned out it was literally just "off".

I spotted it while I was trying the convergence fix: 3D Compatibility Mode set to off. I set it to "on" (CTRL + Alt + F11) and it's fine.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

You can play in CM if you prefer, but our old fix is still working fine and make the game a lot better using geo-3D.

The problem of the black screen here is not CM, it's that a crazy high convergence comes back from the driver because of a library bug. Only happens when using 3DFM/HelixVision on the second launch.

Set a valid default convergence using the 3D Fix tab.
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

bo3bber wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:34 am You can play in CM if you prefer, but our old fix is still working fine and make the game a lot better using geo-3D.

The problem of the black screen here is not CM, it's that a crazy high convergence comes back from the driver because of a library bug. Only happens when using 3DFM/HelixVision on the second launch.

Set a valid default convergence using the 3D Fix tab.
Oh okay, so compatibility mode set to off does turn off the game's original native 3D mode...?

I'll try adjusting the convergence.

Not sure what you mean by it only happening on the second launch?
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

Awesome, it worked, and looks much much better! :0)

I'm going to try and set a convergence value in Preset 1 under the 3D fix tab. Do you know what the valid numerical range is? Should I adjust by 10's 100's or 1000's? Not sure what value to input, or whether to use decimals.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

Start with a convergenc=4.0, and tune it your liking with ctrl-f5/f6. Then save with ctrl-f7. That will set the value in the profile.

You might need to go to the profile folder from the game page in 3DFM and delete the stereo_settings.ini file. I'm not sure exactly how this bug operates.
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

bo3bber wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:27 pm Start with a convergenc=4.0, and tune it your liking with ctrl-f5/f6. Then save with ctrl-f7. That will set the value in the profile.

You might need to go to the profile folder from the game page in 3DFM and delete the stereo_settings.ini file. I'm not sure exactly how this bug operates.
Thanks so much for the help, it's really appreciated.

I put 4.0 into the Profile 1 convergence field and it didn't seem to do anything, I think it might have been the wrong text field...? ...but I used the ctrl-f5/f6 and saved with ctrl-f7 and it worked :)

I didn't have to delete the stereo_settings.ini file, it just seemed to work, which is pretty cool, as I wasn't sure if doing that might have created more issues. Luckily it just worked.

Again, thanks for the help, it really is appreciated. :) I'm going to try and start donating soon (my finances are basically screwed :roll: ).

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”