When will be good time to buy new video card??

narhicfd
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

When will be good time to buy new video card??

Post by narhicfd »

I've noticed that the price of video cards have went up quite a bit...at least Nvidia cards. I've read it's because of the demand of DRAM. I recently bought a gtx 1650 super, from Amazon and I payed $169.00 for it and it's even on back order, and won't arrive till sep 3rd. That same card was $40.00 cheaper a few months ago. I'll need to upgrade my card eventually but I don't want to buy a newer/better card with the current price increase. When, in the future, do you think will be the best time to buy a new video card?
Also, does haveing a video card with more memory help with fps when playing in 3D and what CPU is better for 3D vision, Intel or AMD?
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Re: When will be good time to buy new video card??

Post by skyrimer »

There'll be a nvidia announcement on September 1st and 99% it will be RTX 3000 cards, I can imagine 2000 series cards will go down on price by then, and second hand market will be quite busy imho, that's what i'm waiting to sell my 1080ti and grab me at least a 2080 super.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

Yeah, should also upgrade my GTX 1070 SLI setup :-)
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Yaah, for anyone reading: As Losti says, I too come from SLi - please don't go SLi, as many of us will warn you. The support is pretty much dead, and it's not VR compatible, as that's where things seem to be heading towards...
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

RAGEdemon wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:58 pm Yaah, for anyone reading: As Losti says, I too come from SLi - please don't go SLi, as many of us will warn you. The support is pretty much dead, and it's not VR compatible, as that's where things seem to be heading towards...
Yeah thats why SLI is disabled most of the time for me here :-)
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

Do not whatever you do go SLI at this point. I finally learnt my lesson. It simply doesn't work at all in most engines, and the profile tweaks usually just introduce artifiacts and other visual problems.
The numbers suggest it's amazing, but like 3dvision without developer support .. good luck.

Coupled with this there are some issues that manifest in 3D in SLI that do not occur on a single card. (and one strange case in terms of D:OS where it made the UI work in stereo again.) but all in all it's simply not worth the added headaches.
I have had alot more time to just play games now I dropped to a single 2080ti.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

I now get it. Since they've lost their influence in consoles they are focusing on gaming laptops. Actually a pretty smart move if you ask me. A gaming laptop is much more capable than a console.
Share our love for stereoscopic gaming in VR
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... /playlists :anaglyph
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... 5lw/videos :anaglyph
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

Actually I don't see much use to gaming laptops tbh. Currently streaming service like Stadia, Xbox gaming pass, geforce now or ps now are so solid and cheap, that wasting $1.000 on a device you're going to use ocassionally on a 16'' screen doesn't make much sense to me. All those services work great with a half decent connection at 1080p, which is more than adequate and that screen size. Also I'm amazed how well you can stream in your home LAN using either steam remote play or moonlight+geforce experience on Shield mode, and I can stream 4k res at 30/60 fps with 100mb upload speed from my computer to my 4k TV using a 5 year old tablet as client, and i have been been playing Gears 5 Hivebusters at 4k that feels 95% native. Also, technically I could stream over the internet too, though I haven't tried it yet, so that would even take the subscription cost of those services out of the equation.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

skyrimer wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:35 am Actually I don't see much use to gaming laptops tbh. Currently streaming service like Stadia, Xbox gaming pass, geforce now or ps now are so solid and cheap, that wasting $1.000 on a device you're going to use ocassionally on a 16'' screen doesn't make much sense to me. All those services work great with a half decent connection at 1080p, which is more than adequate and that screen size. Also I'm amazed how well you can stream in your home LAN using either steam remote play or moonlight+geforce experience on Shield mode, and I can stream 4k res at 30/60 fps with 100mb upload speed from my computer to my 4k TV using a 5 year old tablet as client, and i have been been playing Gears 5 Hivebusters at 4k that feels 95% native. Also, technically I could stream over the internet too, though I haven't tried it yet, so that would even take the subscription cost of those services out of the equation.
I'm not too opinionated about laptops. Just know i would never buy one primarily for gaming. Over here fortunate people mostly use them. But would definitely consider them when freelance is the norm and your lifestyle requires you to be mobile. I literally get nightmares of criminals stealing my PC. Sadly that's how attached I am. Can only imagine how bad it would get with a laptop. It is on the top 10 list of most stolen things where i live. The most expensive thing ever to be stolen from me with files of a million dollar+ project. It was like a part of my soul being aggressively ripped off. You hardly hear about desktops being stolen. My other buddy also lost a very expensive $2.3k gaming laptop the other day that was stolen. Could really share his pain.

A laptop might be a good choice for VR. But I'm going to have me head end up on a spike with the vigor I like to support and promote it here out of context :lol:
The only thing i really cared about in nVidia's presentation.
So the news was mostly interesting blah blah to me. Not a single peep about VR. Until they restore 3d vision in their drivers I won't really care about their success as I used to in the past. But their shift to focus on gaming laptops is definitely a good comeback business strategy. I'm sure after the great Cyberpynk2077 chaos on consoles a great % of gamers might reevaluate their preferences. So nVidia might be sending a message subliminally at the perfect time. For a guy coming from console this might look attractive. It has raytracing and "e-v-e-r-y" n-e-w s-t-a-n-d-a-r-d a g-a-m-e-r c-o-u-l-d w-i-s-h for!

If I had to go on holiday I couldn't really take my PC with me. But with HelixVision + a laptop and a VR headset this changes a lot. Also if you want to show your friends and family over weekends away. There are actually many more pro's than cons. Wow. Starting to convince myself I need one now :?
Will just have to sleep with her underneath my pillow.
Share our love for stereoscopic gaming in VR
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... /playlists :anaglyph
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... 5lw/videos :anaglyph
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”