AMD Tridef user thinking of switching to 3D vision, need advice

narhicfd
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

AMD Tridef user thinking of switching to 3D vision, need advice

Post by narhicfd »

I've been using AMD (TriDef)for all my 3D gameplay but am wondering if switching to Nvidia 3D based( 3D vision) would be a better option. This is mostly due to the fact that TriDef is REALY lacking in community effort where as 3D vision has more software fixes for games and a way more thriving player base community. TriDefs last software update before they went under was 2017 and if I'm right, Nvidia was April this year so it seems like Nvidia 3D would have more updates for games games that came after 2017.
At first, I really wasn't as keen on switching to 3D vision, for the fact that since Nvidia abandoned support for 3D vision ,you had to stay on an older version of windows 10 and an older display driver which kept people from playing newer games, especially, since TriDef is still working great with the latest windows version with no tinkering needed. However, lately I have noticed that the community has already figured out work arounds for both, using 3D vision with the newest windows version and keeping up to date and installing the newest Nvidia display drivers.
I did read somewhere that you can use TriDef with an Nvidia based card though, and if that's true then maybe switching to an Nvidia based 3D would be the best option. It does seem though that if I do switch to Nvidia I'll have to do more software tinkering to keep using it which I have no problem as long as the steps necessary to do it are given.
Currently, my hardware I use for tridef is such:

Optoma DH1012
Standered DLP glasses
AMD rx 480

Here's a link to the specs of my projector:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/pr ... c_8933.pdf

My projector does full 1080p 3D in side to side, top and bottom and frame sequential. If, I switch to Nvidia will I have to buy a 3D vision emitter for this projector?? From what I've read, I was under the impression that if I want to use Nvidia based 3D for a full 3D devise all I'll have to buy is a Nvidia based card and get the, now free, Nvidia 3Dtv software. I'm sure I'll have some reading on a lot of the community provided software hacks as well.
I could use some feed back from anyone out there who uses TriDef with Nvidia to know how well it works and steps needed to get it to work. What invidia base cards will work? I was looking at getting an Nvidia gtx 1650 super or 1660 super, for now.
So, where should I go??

UPDATE

So, I went a head and purchased a 1650 super. It wont ship till sep 3 when Amazon get more in. I'll use this time to read up on programs like BringBack 3DV, 3D fix manager and others. I'll be using Nvidia's 3D TV PLAY program, that was offered free from their last 3D vision driver version 425.31 in aprill of last year, with my projector and DLP glasses.
I'm confused about something though. According to something I read, driver 425.31 isn't even compatible with the 1650 super. Yes I'll use the BB3DV to update current drivers to work with 3D vision but how do I even install driver 425.31,that comes with the now free 3D TV PLAY program, to begin with?? Wont driver version 425.31 recognize incompatibility with my video card and not let me install it??? Or can I do some kind of force install of driver 425.31 so I can then use BringBack 3DV to update to Nvidia's current driver to work with my 1650 super??
Since, I had an AMD card should I go ahead and format my hard drive to wipe my computer clean of all AMD stuff so as to not cause any compatibility issues with 3D vision??. I would reinstall and stick with Windows 10 version 1903. I know I'll need to use BringBack 3DV program a long side 3Dvision to be compatible with that windows version as well??
The reason I'm bent on windows version 1903 is cause I use TriDef, and currently TriDef works with no prob what so ever on my computer which runs version 1903. I'd like to maintain and keep both to use for 3D, for as long as I can but would prefer to keep 3DVision as my permanent 3D source.
I'm looking forward to being part of the 3D vision community and to contributing to maintain 3D gameplay.
Last edited by narhicfd on Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Obveron
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: AMD Tridef user thinking of switching to 3D vision, need advice

Post by Obveron »

Tridef is comparable to Nvidia compatibility mode. It really can't compare to Nvidia direct mode with a solid community patch. You will appreciate a significant improvement moving to a Nvidia card.

I dont see how that projector can do full 1080p 3d higher than 24hz which is the hdmi standard. You can get half side by side, or 720p framepacked at 60hz. You don't need an emitter.
Last edited by Obveron on Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

What about my choice of video card?
Obveron
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Obveron »

If you are looking at a 1660 super, I'd save up for an extra couple weeks and get a 2060. Nvidia direct mode is quite a bit heavier on the gpu than tridef, if you want to game at 1080p 3d you'll need atleast a 2060. What is your cpu?
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

Obveron wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:51 pm If you are looking at a 1660 super, I'd save up for an extra couple weeks and get a 2060. Nvidia direct mode is quite a bit heavier on the gpu than tridef, if you want to game at 1080p 3d you'll need atleast a 2060. What is your cpu?
Well, believe it or not, I'm still on AMD 8370, lol. But realize that the games I play haven't needed anything stronger. If you look at my list of steam games I play, they are made up of mega man games, the hunter call of the wild, Adams venture, Dirt Ralley, and bunch of Lego games and some other platformers. I also play some windows 10 games. I don't play any of the first person shooters and stuff like that. Also, I play some Wii games in 3D via Dolphin emulator. Yes, I will be upgrading to a Ryzen Mobo and CPU in the future but as of right now I focus more money on a GPU.
What I need to know is, will it be easy for a normal dude like me who has always built his PC get in and use stuff like 3D fix, Hex mod and other things other 3D vision users...use?? I feel like switching to a Nvidia based platform will get me a better solution to play games in 3D in the future.
Of course ,first and biggest step would be ,swapping out my AMD card for an Nvidia card. How do I go about ridding my computer of any residual AMD video card stuff before installing Nvidia card that doesn't require a full hard drive format? Then after installing it, I have to learn my way around Nvidia and it's use since I've NEVER had an Nvidia GPU before. What other programs and stuff like Hex Mod, Unity fixer, and so forth Should I start reading up on now so I'll be familiar on how to use it when I get the Nvidia card?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

I would just re-purpose your current PC as a Legacy Tri-Def rig.

Save up and build a new PC and get a better PJ, plus a VR Headset down the road for Virtual Reality and Helixvision
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127310/HelixVision/
Hopefully, soon after Ampere launches, we will know if we can still play in 3D using Nvidias latest GPU.
If not, you better get your hands on a RTX 2080ti.

Anyhow, once you get a NVidia GPU, you can play any DirectX 11 game that has a "3DMigoto" fix using O/U or SbS @60 to get around the 1080P@24Hz limit of 3DTV Play on your current HDMI 1.4 projector.
It's just a simple matter of editing the .ini for 3DMigoto, using a text editor and setting the desired stereographic format output. For dx9, this solution does not exist, since dx9 fixes use a different wrapper.

Note: a 3DTV Play license is no longer required, it's free in the last 3D vision release

BTW, welcome to the forums
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Also, there is an excellent app that you can use to automate your Nvidia stereoscopic experience.

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=23397
Obveron
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Obveron »

Unfortunately when using Nvidia drivers for 3d we're stuck with only 3 useful cpu cores. This means alot of modern games run into a cpu bottleneck, you need high clock rate and IPC. Your bulldozer will hold you back.
But if you just want a little more gpu grunt for your current system, without the expectation of modern titles at 1080p60, I think a 1660 is a good match. The 2060 would be overkill since your bottleneck will be the cpu.
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

3DNovice wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:18 pm I would just re-purpose your current PC as a Legacy Tri-Def rig.

Save up and build a new PC and get a better PJ, plus a VR Headset down the road for Virtual Reality and Helixvision
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127310/HelixVision/
Hopefully, soon after Ampere launches, we will know if we can still play in 3D using Nvidias latest GPU.
If not, you better get your hands on a RTX 2080ti.

Anyhow, once you get a NVidia GPU, you can play any DirectX 11 game that has a "3DMigoto" fix using O/U or SbS @60 to get around the 1080P@24Hz limit of 3DTV Play on your current HDMI 1.4 projector.
It's just a simple matter of editing the .ini for 3DMigoto, using a text editor and setting the desired stereographic format output. For dx9, this solution does not exist, since dx9 fixes use a different wrapper.

Note: a 3DTV Play license is no longer required, it's free in the last 3D vision release

BTW, welcome to the forums
What do you mean by the need to get around the " 1080 p@24Hzlimit of 3DTV play" problem
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

I still need some info on those who have used TriDef with an Nvidia card. I know it's been done by users, I just need to know how.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Nvidia, in their infinite wisdom, limited 3DTV Play to a max of 24Hz in 1080P.

The only exception, is 3D TVs that support Checkerboard could be used to game @60.

I used TriDef when I first gamed in 3D, it was bundled with a monitor.

But once I bought an Nvidia monitor, I never used it again, except for when I played Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

That's only because there is no community fix for it.
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

3DNovice wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:58 pm Nvidia, in their infinite wisdom, limited 3DTV Play to a max of 24Hz in 1080P.

The only exception, is 3D TVs that support Checkerboard could be used to game @60.

I used TriDef when I first gamed in 3D, it was bundled with a monitor.

But once I bought an Nvidia monitor, I never used it again, except for when I played Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

That's only because there is no community fix for it.

So you used TriDef with an Nvidia card?? If yes, how did you set it up?
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

Obveron wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:33 pm Unfortunately when using Nvidia drivers for 3d we're stuck with only 3 useful cpu cores. This means alot of modern games run into a cpu bottleneck, you need high clock rate and IPC. Your bulldozer will hold you back.
But if you just want a little more gpu grunt for your current system, without the expectation of modern titles at 1080p60, I think a 1660 is a good match. The 2060 would be overkill since your bottleneck will be the cpu.
What kind of cpu is recommended for 3D vision, Intel or AMD Ryzen??
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

narhicfd wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:31 pmWell, believe it or not, I'm still on AMD 8370, lol. But realize that the games I play haven't needed anything stronger. If you look at my list of steam games I play, they are made up of mega man games, the hunter call of the wild, Adams venture, Dirt Ralley, and bunch of Lego games and some other platformers. I also play some windows 10 games. I don't play any of the first person shooters and stuff like that. Also, I play some Wii games in 3D via Dolphin emulator. Yes, I will be upgrading to a Ryzen Mobo and CPU in the future but as of right now I focus more money on a GPU.
What I need to know is, will it be easy for a normal dude like me who has always built his PC get in and use stuff like 3D fix, Hex mod and other things other 3D vision users...use?? I feel like switching to a Nvidia based platform will get me a better solution to play games in 3D in the future.
Of course ,first and biggest step would be ,swapping out my AMD card for an Nvidia card. How do I go about ridding my computer of any residual AMD video card stuff before installing Nvidia card that doesn't require a full hard drive format? Then after installing it, I have to learn my way around Nvidia and it's use since I've NEVER had an Nvidia GPU before. What other programs and stuff like Hex Mod, Unity fixer, and so forth Should I start reading up on now so I'll be familiar on how to use it when I get the Nvidia card?
For those types of games, you should definitely take a look at 3D Vision, because masterotaku has fixed a bunch of these for superb 3D Vision. These are geometry 3D, not the z-buffer style 3D, so it takes twice the GPU horsepower to draw each eye.

Take a look at the HelixModBlog: http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2013/10/ga ... dated.html

That gamelist will give you a good idea of stuff that exists that you might want to play.

For video card, it would not hurt to buy a new card in advance of building a new computer, but for games of that vintage, I think you will be fine with a 2060. Maybe a 1660ti, but I'm less sure there, especially for emulators like Dolphin.

Still- I would wait at least a couple of weeks until the 3080 announcement. Right now stock is scarce because they already killed all the last gen cards.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

I started using TriDef Ignition around 2010, but migrated to 3D Vision around 2016, when TriDef (and NVIDIA) began to significantly reduce their support level for 3D game fixes. With appropriate adjustments and shaders fixes, 3D perception/quality is comparable between Ignition and 3D Vision (in true 3D modes, not compatibility/power modes). Unlike the TriDef user community, the 3D Vision community has some world-class shaderhackers and coders, who have created an incredible library of unofficial community fixes - see http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2013/10/ga ... d.html?m=1.

With no new 3D hardware being manufactured or created (like a next gen 3D Vision emitter/glasses kit that supports newer 120 Hz HDMI TVs), HelixVision provides a VR headset-based LARGE screen display for 3D gaming. HelixVision is available through Steam, and bo3bber is one of its KEY developers. You would require a much needed CPU/GPU (full computer) upgrade, however...
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

whyme466 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:24 am I started using TriDef Ignition around 2010, but migrated to 3D Vision around 2016, when TriDef (and NVIDIA) began to significantly reduce their support level for 3D game fixes. With appropriate adjustments and shaders fixes, 3D perception/quality is comparable between Ignition and 3D Vision (in true 3D modes, not compatibility/power modes). Unlike the TriDef user community, the 3D Vision community has some world-class shaderhackers and coders, who have created an incredible library of unofficial community fixes - see http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2013/10/ga ... d.html?m=1.

With no new 3D hardware being manufactured or created (like a next gen 3D Vision emitter/glasses kit that supports newer 120 Hz HDMI TVs), HelixVision provides a VR headset-based LARGE screen display for 3D gaming. HelixVision is available through Steam, and bo3bber is one of its KEY developers. You would require a much needed CPU/GPU (full computer) upgrade, however...
Can someone give me a link that explains how to get the latest windows version working with 3D vision/3D TV. Also, a link that teaches me how to incorporate the latest display drive with 3D Vision as well. Thank you.
Feisty_Fernando

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

3DNovice wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:58 pm Nvidia, in their infinite wisdom, limited 3DTV Play to a max of 24Hz in 1080P.

If I use the checkerboard 3D tv I have for 3DTV Play, do I have to adjust the Hz in the nvidia control panel manually or does it just default to 60Hz when 3DTV Play is turned on? I never run games at 1080p due to the monitor being 12 feet away, only 720p so I can still see everything. I'm old.
sebastatu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sebastatu »

Nvidia 3D vision supports multiple 3D output modes depending on the display that you are using. You can use 3D vision discovery mode which works on any display through Red and Cyan glasses, You also have 3D tV play, which is the equivelant of blu ray 3D over HDMI which is limited to 1080p @ 24hz or 720p @ 60z. It also supports checkerboard 3D on some TVs which utpus 1080p singal @ 60hz, but the resolution and quality is atcually lower. You also have line interlaced if you have an LG 4k TV with passive 3D This is by far the best solution for playin on 3d/ this is like playing on a over 2k resolution @ 60hz on a 55 plus inch oled display. you just cant beat that. However, these displays are out of stock and vey hard to find. The most practical way is to get an Nvidia 3D monitor which are still being sold and a used 3D vision kit which allows you to play 1440p @ 60hz per eye.

Yes you can use Tridef. you just launch your software like normal and in the 3D mode just selct the correct 3d mode type and 3d vision will automatically kick in. so for example in a 3D monitor you will select the active 120hz option. or sbs or ou if you have a 3D tv. is that simple.
kakashisensei
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kakashisensei »

Having used both tridef and 3d vision, yes do it if you really care about 3d gaming. I still use tridef for niche purposes like dx9 games. I can get much better geometry 3d in tridef with skyrim LE + ENBs and world of warcraft vanilla. But for dx11 games, 3d vision is simply light years better with tons of community fixes. Most dx11 game fixes will support 3dmigoto, allowing changing to sbs or tb. But for games that don't allow dll injections (online anticheat games) or opengl games, sadly you're stuck with 3dvision native modes.

Tridef is also dead and requires using a hacked version to get working unless you have a legacy install already on your OS. I can't even activate my tridef license on a new computer, even when I migrate over the license registries. Only works on the original OS/computer install.

Use 3Dfix manager and learn the ins and outs of it. It is simply the best all in one tool u need. It will install 3d vision drivers and make it work with the latest nvidia drivers, grab fixes online, setup hotkeys for 3d convergence presets, set your preferred 3d mode, configure 2d/3d driver/gsync settings automatically when you switch 2d/3d on off, quickly turn off driver dll changes (needed to make 3dvision work for newer drivers) for anti cheat games, etc... You do not want to be using 425.31 in my opinion. It is slower in quite a few new titles compared to newer drivers.
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

kakashisensei wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:49 pm Having used both tridef and 3d vision, yes do it if you really care about 3d gaming. I still use tridef for niche purposes like dx9 games. I can get much better geometry 3d in tridef with skyrim LE + ENBs and world of warcraft vanilla. But for dx11 games, 3d vision is simply light years better with tons of community fixes. Most dx11 game fixes will support 3dmigoto, allowing changing to sbs or tb. But for games that don't allow dll injections (online anticheat games) or opengl games, sadly you're stuck with 3dvision native modes.

Tridef is also dead and requires using a hacked version to get working unless you have a legacy install already on your OS. I can't even activate my tridef license on a new computer, even when I migrate over the license registries. Only works on the original OS/computer install.

Use 3Dfix manager and learn the ins and outs of it. It is simply the best all in one tool u need. It will install 3d vision drivers and make it work with the latest nvidia drivers, grab fixes online, setup hotkeys for 3d convergence presets, set your preferred 3d mode, configure 2d/3d driver/gsync settings automatically when you switch 2d/3d on off, quickly turn off driver dll changes (needed to make 3dvision work for newer drivers) for anti cheat games, etc... You do not want to be using 425.31 in my opinion. It is slower in quite a few new titles compared to newer drivers.
I got my Nvidia card last week and have been using 3D vision for about 4 days. I went ahead and bought an rtx 2060(6gb version). Only tried it so far on few of the games that are Officialy on their list of supported games( lego incredibles, mega man 11, etc)
I went ahead and installed 3D fix manager, and I'm running the current nvidia standered driver via the use of 3DFixM. Right now, the main thing I trying to learn is how to add a nonOfficial supported game profile and how to install a new game under a profile of a diff game that uses the same game engine. I will say that with TriDef it was easier to add non supported game profiles. The community on here has been helping a lot on learning how to do things though.
The 3DFixM sure does a good job though in helping this noob do things a whole loot easier. 👍

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”