Mortal Shell (UE4)

Shift-E
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Mortal Shell (UE4)

Post by Shift-E »

For anyone interested, they opened up the beta for Mortal Shell to everyone on EGS. Its another Dark Souls clone with a few new takes on the formula, with pretty nice graphics and impressive combat animations. and MOST importantly, works well in 3D with Losti's great universal fix :D

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p ... shell/beta

I had to set it up and play in 2D before I could turn on 3D in NCP or it would crash on launch., after that it was fine. In game HDR setting doesn't seem to work though - hopefully it is fixed before launch.
Last edited by Shift-E on Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shift-E

Re: Mortal Shell Open Beta (UE4)

Post by Shift-E »

some combat tips, you can be pretty creative with the "Hardened" feature..

https://youtu.be/grSzc5Tm9Zo
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Using Losti’s superb V2.10 of UE4 fix, I found one false positive shader in starting flooded area scene of full release version of Mortal Shell, fixing major water reflections problem. However, I have not found a solution to the much smaller self reflection artifact in the water. Has anyone been able to fix this issue?
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

I only tested briefly, but other reflections looked a little off too once I got out of the water area. I did not try any adjustments yet though, once I saw that HDR still isn't working I decided I will wait and see if they patch it first.
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

Yeah is good in official release but reflections are broken. I find this a common theme in games with the UE4 universal fix.
maddcatt
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Mortal Shell (UE4)

Post by maddcatt »

Hi,
Can anyone please explain how to run Mortal Shell in 3D?
I understand that each time I try and switch my game to a 3D supported resolution (using 3D TV play ), my game simply keeps trying to load and crashes or freezes the screen forcing me to do a hard restart.
I further understand that I can use Losti's Unreal Engine Universal Fix.
I do not understand the part when and how should I switch to 3D mode.
I would be very thankful if anyone could breakdown the step involved in a detailed manner. I am mostly a 3D novice and mainly use the great Helifax's 3D Fix manager to run 3D games.
Thank you, sirs/madams.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

@maddcatt - are you running Losti's superb UE4 fix via his UniversalFix_2_Config.cmd (first part of fix), with entire fix placed at the appropriate .exe location (Dungeonhaven-Win64-Shipping.exe)?

I hope others try experimenting with Losti's various Loader/command file testing options, documented in his very detailed UE4 fix documentation at blogspot. He really has tried to make the fix as flexible as possible, and help guide we users how to deal with problems NOT corrected by the fix. I found one false positive shader so far (4db8a787dd6efd7c-ps.txt removed, see viewtopic.php?p=170473#p170473 for discussion how to identify updated/removed shaders).
Last edited by whyme466 on Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

Reflection issues will be adressed in 2.20 of the Universal fix. Fixing reflections in UE 4 later 4.23. Can you right click the exe and go to properies tab and than do file Info and Report the file Version? If this is later 4.23 you can expect perfect reflections for this game with 2.20 i am working on. Give a pray to Masterotaku for this :-)
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Mortal Shell Details tab shows file version 4.24.3.0. Looking forward to your new changes and updates to an already incredible UE4 game fixing tool. Thanks again for your relentless work.

As I mentioned above, the major reflection problem in the starting area is a false positive shader, but I could not identify a solution to the much smaller self-reflection problem (there are 2 distinct reflection problems). Do you have any recommendations for any v2.10 user to remove shaders previously identified as being a problem WITHOUT running the testing/identification process (for example, how should others remove the shader I identified)? Thanks.
Losti

Post by Losti »

At the end of the d3dx.ini there is a comented out shader override with handling=Skip. Uncomment and add your hash there. You can copy this ans rename override Name to add more shaders. But i recomment to wait for Universal fix 2.2 to enjoy the game with perfect reflections.
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

Thats great news Losti, will wait for UE4 fix 2.2 - the Universal fix that keeps getting better!
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Mortal Shell is now crashing immediately upon launch, when using Mortal Shell 3D Vision Ready Fix V1.0, UE4 Universal Fix 2 V3.4, or UE4 Universal Fix 2 V2.10 on my setup. However, the game launches without issue, if any of these game fix versions is removed. Is anyone else having a problem with Mortal Shell fix?
Losti

Post by Losti »

whyme466 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:10 pm Mortal Shell is now crashing immediately upon launch, when using Mortal Shell 3D Vision Ready Fix V1.0, UE4 Universal Fix 2 V3.4, or UE4 Universal Fix 2 V2.10 on my setup. However, the game launches without issue, if any of these game fix versions is removed. Is anyone else having a problem with Mortal Shell fix?
What GPU driver, OS Version are you on and how have you installed the GPU driver ?
Feisty_Fernando

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

No probs running it in 3D here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Losti

Post by Losti »

The game like many new UE 4 games crash if one switch to windows. Means any overlay software can lead to crash if it pops up after gamestart. That as a hint if the driver setup would not be the Problem.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Losti wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:56 pm What GPU driver, OS Version are you on and how have you installed the GPU driver ?
whyme466 , I think you're a regular here, I suggest putting that info in your signature - this way it's easier for us to help you as we can look up your setup easily :)
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

I am using Windows 10 1809, BringBack3DV modified driver 452.06, and Epic Games version of game. I am not aware of any running overlay software (for example, I terminate EVGA Precision software after it loads my preferred GPU and fan presets). This modified driver version is working flawlessly with all of my other games like Monster Hunter World, Doom Eternal, and Remnant from the Ashes. Mortal Shell now crashes EVERY time I use the 00_UE4-UniversalFix-2_Config.cmd, or attempt to run the game with the fix files installed - while it launches every time when the fix files are removed (game has 3D, but many broken shaders). I am getting Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW error. I am not sure what is preventing the fix from working now, when I could get the game to launch previously (the same older version of UE4 fix that worked for my game no longer works, either)…

By the way, I am also using 4K EDID with 3DVsion Eye Swapper app, also.
Last edited by whyme466 on Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Losti

Post by Losti »

whyme466 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:59 am I am using Windows 10 1809, BringBack3DV modified driver 452.06, and Epic Games version of game. I am not aware of any running overlay software (for example, I terminate EVGA Precision software after it loads my preferred GPU and fan presets). This modified driver version is working flawlessly with all of my other games like Monster Hunter World, Doom Eternal, and Remnant from the Ashes. Mortal Shell now crashes EVERY time I use the 00_UE4-UniversalFix-2_Config.cmd, or attempt to run the game with the fix files installed - while it launches every time when the fix files are removed (game has 3D, but many broken shaders). I am not sure what is preventing the fix from working now, when I could get the game to launch previously (the same older version of UE4 fix that worked for my game no longer works, either)…

By the way, I am also using 4K EDID with 3DVsion Eye Swapper app, also.
So it seems to be an issue with your setup next to the 3D driver. i do really have no edia about "4K EDID with 3DVsion Eye Swapper app" .... can you test it without?
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

whyme466 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:10 pm Mortal Shell is now crashing immediately upon launch, when using Mortal Shell 3D Vision Ready Fix V1.0, UE4 Universal Fix 2 V3.4, or UE4 Universal Fix 2 V2.10 on my setup. However, the game launches without issue, if any of these game fix versions is removed. Is anyone else having a problem with Mortal Shell fix?
Hmmm, I just purchased on Epic and seem to be having the exact same issue. I hope it's already a given that my driver (452.06 on Win 10) is setup and working properly, and I don't have any conflicting overlays.

I have tried:
  • installing the official fix through 3DFM (and yes, ran the config tool but it cannot proceed)
  • also tried placing the 3DMigoto DLL by itself in the folder
  • tried hooking 3DM using the external loader
all result in a crash + report, so the game is definitely allergic to the 3DM dll at present.

Can anyone that claims it's working for them confirm they actually own the game (and not just pirated it) and are on the latest version? I don't condemn anyone for pirating, but if you're coming in here saying the fix works while you're using a pirated copy (most likely on v1.0) then that is a sh!tty thing to do and doesn't really help, but it WILL help if you are honest and say if you are using a pirated copy so we can narrow down the issue since so far whyme466 and I are the only two to have specifically mentioned that we bought it on Epic and we're both having the same issue. Feel free to PM me to admit if you're on a pirated copy for privacy, instead of broadcasting it openly here... I won't judge, but again, it might help.
Zappologist
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zappologist »

DJ-RK
I don't have Mortal Shell but I had a similar problem in the past with another game, same circumstances (UE4 fix and Epic).
I think Bo3b or DSS discovered a strange conflict between the wrapper and the Epic launcher.
Try to move/rename the Overlay folder in the Epic launcher install folder (for me C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Extras\Overlay) and see if it solves the issue.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Zappologist wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:25 am DJ-RK
I don't have Mortal Shell but I had a similar problem in the past with another game, same circumstances (UE4 fix and Epic).
I think Bo3b or DSS discovered a strange conflict between the wrapper and the Epic launcher.
Try to move/rename the Overlay folder in the Epic launcher install folder (for me C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Extras\Overlay) and see if it solves the issue.
Thank you sir, that worked perfectly!

Strangely, I had no such issue running Borderlands 3, which I also own on Epic, but that could be due to either a) BL3 not actually integrating the Epic overlay much or at all, or b) since BL3 is using a heavily modified build of UE4 it's different enough to not run into the same issue.

Anyway, just glad that solved the issue. Hope the game is any good.... looks decent enough from the trailer and can be gotten for dirt cheap right now thanks to Epic's sale and coupon. The titlescreen looked perfect in 3D, so should be smooth sailing from here.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Awesome, I really want to play this game in 3d at some point when i upgrade my hardware. Right now it's a it too demanding, it seems and i dont want to play at lowest settings.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Thanks for the information - renaming the Overlay folder also resolved my fatal error during game launch. The fix appears to be working correctly on my setup - thanks, Losti!

Note that the Epic Games Launcher crashes if this Overlay folder has been renamed or missing, so the Overlay folder should be renamed AFTER launching Epic Games (and restored before using the Epic Games Launcher again).
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Really enjoying Losti's great fix for this game.

Is anyone else getting large rectangular (actually, full screen quadrant) tile-like artifacts in some areas, especially in the snow covered environments? For example, the entire bottom half of the starting screen for the game has a different dynamic range from the top half (top half appears correctly), when in the Enshrined Sanctum.
Last edited by whyme466 on Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

I haven't seen that, but there was some flickering/visual artifacts on water surfaces and reflections in the very first spawn point (the one before you inhabit the first shell). I haven't made it too far into the game though, I beat the Grishna and Hadern, and explored the area just past Hadern. Can't quite recall if I've seen snow as of yet, but if I see anything of the like I'll report in and possibly attempt to fix it if it bothers me enough.
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

whyme466 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:24 pm Really enjoying Losti's great fix for this game.

Is anyone else getting large rectangular (actually, full screen quadrant) tile-like artifacts in some areas, especially in the snow covered environments? For example, the entire bottom half of the starting screen for the game has a different dynamic range from the top half (top half appears correctly), when in the Enshrined Sanctum.
I am starting to see this all the time now in the snow environment, would see it briefly in other places but not enough to bother me. But it’s getting pretty prevalent in this one dungeon, were you able to resolve this?
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

No, I did not resolve this problem - I ignored it to finish the game. The boss battle for the snow environment is complicated by this problem. I shared a game save folder with Losti, for an area with this problem...
Losti

Post by Losti »

whyme466 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:23 am No, I did not resolve this problem - I ignored it to finish the game. The boss battle for the snow environment is complicated by this problem. I shared a game save folder with Losti, for an area with this problem...
Yepp, ill check this if i find some motivation here. There where A LOT of those problems since the beginning of the game and i have fixed it as good as i can and things left, i missed it seems.

May be i am motivated enougth this week to have a look @ the things here, may be not. But i will NOT publish this here, only @ my private discord channel @ the 3D vision discord server.

For those who are asking again: Just donate 5-10 € to get an invite. That is my condition that I still do something that is not only for me. you may hate it, but that's my decision ^^

Ther will be NO Update at the blog from me for the next 10 months, lets see what happens....

And i only update games or fixes i play myselfe or some of my supportes asks for help and i can manage it in a reasonable time
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

Losti wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:55 am
whyme466 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:23 am No, I did not resolve this problem - I ignored it to finish the game. The boss battle for the snow environment is complicated by this problem. I shared a game save folder with Losti, for an area with this problem...
Yepp, ill check this if i find some motivation here. There where A LOT of those problems since the beginning of the game and i have fixed it as good as i can and things left, i missed it seems.

May be i am motivated enougth this week to have a look @ the things here, may be not. But i will NOT publish this here, only @ my private discord channel @ the 3D vision discord server.

For those who are asking again: Just donate 5-10 € to get an invite. That is my condition that I still do something that is not only for me. you may hate it, but that's my decision ^^

Ther will be NO Update at the blog from me for the next 10 months, lets see what happens....

And i only update games or fixes i play myselfe or some of my supportes asks for help and i can manage it in a reasonable time
Yeah I just went ahead and powered through it. I have to say, I was really impressed with this game for such a small studio. I hope they do a sequel and blow it out into a full dark souls length game.

I sent a donation for the UE4 fix, look forward to using it again with Little Nightmares 2 :D . Such an amazing resource to have, and I know a ton of work went into it :!:

I had not seen this new policy, but sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I just hope someone posts updates here to keep us old folks who don't use Discord as a forum informed on what games are being worked on etc. Sounds good, I hope you are getting some good playtime in and enjoying Cyberpunk!
Raja
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Raja »

Can some body plz guide why my 3d is not kicking in.ive played the dark pictures little hope in 3d and currently playing skeidro and 3d is working fine but i launch this mortal shell from 3d manager 3d does not kick in and ive used full screen switching over through alt+enter.but no use
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

PSA: Mortal Shell has new DLC that is free to keep if you grab it before 01:00 PST 23rd August. After that it will be $7.99 usd.

The Virtuous Cycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuE2Gw4Owjw

Might be a good reason for me to go back and try the new updated fix at some point :D
Losti

Post by Losti »

Shift-E wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:19 am PSA: Mortal Shell has new DLC that is free to keep if you grab it before 01:00 PST 23rd August. After that it will be $7.99 usd.

The Virtuous Cycle

Might be a good reason for me to go back and try the new updated fix at some point :D
I think using the latest Universal fix is is better Deal than the updated fix
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Shift-E wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:19 am PSA: Mortal Shell has new DLC that is free to keep if you grab it before 01:00 PST 23rd August. After that it will be $7.99 usd.

The Virtuous Cycle

thank you for the note, snatched it :D
msm903
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by msm903 »

Losti wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:54 am

The Virtuous Cycle

Did it work with the Universal fix with the new DLC? :( mine is crashing again :(
msm903
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by msm903 »

msm903 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:25 am

The Virtuous Cycle

Did it work with the Universal fix with the new DLC? :( mine is crashing again :(
hmmm so without 3D i get virtuous clycle to work.. with 3D is acts like it is not enabled :(

not sure if it is a DX12 thing or something else.
Losti

Post by Losti »

msm903 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:41 am
msm903 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:25 am

hmmm so without 3D i get virtuous clycle to work.. with 3D is acts like it is not enabled :(

not sure if it is a DX12 thing or something else.
Start it with the config tool to ensure dx11. Read the MTBS post about v5.22 there is a hint that you may need to Start games several times sometimes until they not Crash and if this Not helps use one of the 5 crash prevention Options from the config tool.

Remember in case of epic games the rename of the overlay folder from the epic launcher
msm903
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by msm903 »

I am able to play the game using 3D vision. In doing so it just acts like I have not purchased the new Virtuous Cycle addon. Has anyone been able to successfully play the new Add On with 3D vision?

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”