EDID stopped working correctly

Shift-E
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

EDID stopped working correctly

Post by Shift-E »

So I have a 65" LG E6 and have been using Joker's 65E6 EDID mod for a few years with no problems. I don't know when it started (as I only use interlaced for about 10% of games), but now the image is messed up. It looks like major ghosting/crosstalk (I forget which is which) where I can see both left and right images of every object everywhere. It is not the normal kind of crosstalk though. They are clear, not blurry (like CM), and very distracting all over walls etc. Even the 3rd person character will have double clear outlines around him. If I lower the Depth down to 15% they will eventually go away.

I noticed this after trying to downgrade Nvdia drivers back to 425.31 in order to play Breakpoint (EAC has a problem with "hacked" drivers past this one). I received a Stereo Registry Merger error: "Can't open/create old keys in the registry"
I was able to resolve this by setting the Nvidia registry permissions to allow full control and reinstalling with DDU in safe mode. no more error message, so I don't think this was related. I have never made any reg edits myself, although I do use 3DFM at times, which I understand makes such edits. I did use 3DFM to patch the 3D drivers when installing a more recent Nvdia driver around December, before reverting back to 425.31 recently.

If I use DDU in safe mode and do not reinstall the EDID file, the 3D is fine in 720p via Nvidia 3DTVPlay. This is why I suspect it has something to do with the EDID. This file cannot get corrupted can it? I tried downloading it again and installing, but have the same results. I am testing with GTAV so that I am not using 3DMigoto at all. I am running out of things to test, I have disabled the depth multiplier I was using with 3DFM before reinstalling. This EDID issue pretty much makes CM unusable and HDR games that require interlaced impossible. I can use TaB/SBS no problem, all my other games look perfect in TaB as usual thankfully. just trying to use the EDID is messed up..any ideas?

Windows 10 1809
current driver: 425.31

EDID I am using:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 3KmzfSn6ND

Edit: Solved it
-------------------------------
Wow, so this issue turned out to be something hella stupid. It seems the most recent update for my TV set the sharpness for each one of my picture modes to maxed out sharpness. Its amazing how much this setting can mess up your 3D. Once I turned it back down all the way to 0, it was back to beautiful 3D. I was about to revert my pc to old system image too, which would have solved nothing haha. false alarm.... :roll:
Last edited by Shift-E on Sun May 10, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Re: EDID stopped working correctly

Post by Muojo »

folllowing cause this is what I am afraid of. I need to reinstall my windows and its gonna have to be the latest version. If you having issues with 1809, cant imagine why I won't on the latest
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

Muojo wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:38 am folllowing cause this is what I am afraid of. I need to reinstall my windows and its gonna have to be the latest version. If you having issues with 1809, cant imagine why I won't on the latest
EDID was working fine on 1809 for a long time, so I wouldn't worry about that. I have done some further tests and cannot figure it out though. I am going to try and revert to some much older restore points, and if that doesn't work I will have to go back to my last save image file and hope that it works. would prefer avoiding such a move, but I don't know what else affects this EDID 4k image other than the EDID mod used and the 3D drivers. Maybe something in the registry? I will update if I ever fix it..
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

I recently had to rebuild my 1809 OS, including re-installing 425.31 and same EDID override you are using. Everything is working again, including my E6 display. How does the 3D test pattern in NCP look? If you think you need to re-install, you might first try using DISM tools with your 1809 backup as offline source.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

whyme466 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:58 pm I recently had to rebuild my 1809 OS, including re-installing 425.31 and same EDID override you are using. Everything is working again, including my E6 display. How does the 3D test pattern in NCP look? If you think you need to re-install, you might first try using DISM tools with your 1809 backup as offline source.
How did you manage to reinstall Windows 1809? Besides, won't you computer need to be updated agian? And if you don't update it past 1809, aren't you exposing youself to security risks?

Also is there a reason you're sticking with 1809?
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

I used Windows Media Creation tool to create 1809 backup as I created dual boot setup, updating one system (for VR) beyond 1809. I use my frozen 1809 version ONLY for 3D Vision gaming, letting Norton Security updates deal with overall 1809 security. Note that I had to disconnect my computer from internet in order to install 425.31 driver (otherwise, more recent NVIDIA driver is loaded with 1809). See https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 48#p170448 for more discussion.

I just encountered my first game requesting update beyond 425.31 - Monster Hunter World Iceborne. The Iceborne update broke the great MHW fix, however.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

whyme466 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:52 am I used Windows Media Creation tool to create 1809 backup as I created dual boot setup, updating one system (for VR) beyond 1809. I use my frozen 1809 version ONLY for 3D Vision gaming, letting Norton Security updates deal with overall 1809 security. Note that I had to disconnect my computer from internet in order to install 425.31 driver (otherwise, more recent NVIDIA driver is loaded with 1809). See https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 48#p170448 for more discussion.

I just encountered my first game requesting update beyond 425.31 - Monster Hunter World Iceborne. The Iceborne update broke the great MHW fix, however.
So why stick with 1809 if you guys have found a way to keep playing on newer versions?
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

Damn, ok the other question then is, did you have to pay to get another Win 10 license to dual boot? How should one go about getting the secondary Win 10 OS on the same motherboard/computer?
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

If you made a 1809 backup with Windows Media Player, you can just use that copy on a new SSD. I bought a discounted Windows 10 Pro license, but this second license is up to you.

It may be a challenge to find v1809 online, if you did not make previous copy, however. You may need to buy a copy of Windows 10 anyway, and stop update at 1809. A fresh install like this requires motherboard drivers, as well.
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

whyme466 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:46 am If you made a 1809 backup with Windows Media Player, you can just use that copy on a new SSD. I bought a discounted Windows 10 Pro license, but this second license is up to you.

It may be a challenge to find v1809 online, if you did not make previous copy, however. You may need to buy a copy of Windows 10 anyway, and stop update at 1809. A fresh install like this requires motherboard drivers, as well.
I didn't know Windows Media Player could be used to recover computers. I assume thats what it is right? You can boot into windows and restore your 1809 with WMP? I have been usuing clonezilla but now Clonezilla has become problematic for me. The damn program keeps changing the name of my drives after every boot. I need an alternative for the future
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Sorry, I meant to say Windows Media Creation tool, not Player...
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Shift-E wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:42 am So I have a 65" LG E6 and have been using Joker's 65E6 EDID mod for a few years with no problems. I don't know when it started (as I only use interlaced for about 10% of games), but now the image is messed up. It looks like major ghosting/crosstalk (I forget which is which) where I can see both left and right images of every object everywhere. It is not the normal kind of crosstalk though. They are clear, not blurry (like CM), and very distracting all over walls etc. Even the 3rd person character will have double clear outlines around him. If I lower the Depth down to 15% they will eventually go away.

I noticed this after trying to downgrade Nvdia drivers back to 425.31 in order to play Breakpoint (EAC has a problem with "hacked" drivers past this one). I received a Stereo Registry Merger error: "Can't open/create old keys in the registry"
I was able to resolve this by setting the Nvidia registry permissions to allow full control and reinstalling with DDU in safe mode. no more error message, so I don't think this was related. I have never made any reg edits myself, although I do use 3DFM at times, which I understand makes such edits. I did use 3DFM to patch the 3D drivers when installing a more recent Nvdia driver around December, before reverting back to 425.31 recently.

If I use DDU in safe mode and do not reinstall the EDID file, the 3D is fine in 720p via Nvidia 3DTVPlay. This is why I suspect it has something to do with the EDID. This file cannot get corrupted can it? I tried downloading it again and installing, but have the same results. I am testing with GTAV so that I am not using 3DMigoto at all. I am running out of things to test, I have disabled the depth multiplier I was using with 3DFM before reinstalling. This EDID issue pretty much makes CM unusable and HDR games that require interlaced impossible. I can use TaB/SBS no problem, all my other games look perfect in TaB as usual thankfully. just trying to use the EDID is messed up..any ideas?

Windows 10 1809
current driver: 425.31

EDID I am using:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 3KmzfSn6ND
AFAIK the LG OLED needs an edit in Windows registry for correcting reversed eyes. Maybe this one got broken for you?
Go to "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D" and there you should have InterleavePattern0 and InterleavePattern1. Just delete them. They will be re-created next time you launch a game in 3D. Do this without 3DFM to also make sure it's not causing the issue. Eyes should be in wrong order now but maybe ghosting is gone then. There's also another registry entry "StereoViewerType". You can also try to delete this one (will be automatically recreated). It controls whether Optimized for Geforce or 3D Vision Discover is chosen. If a wrong value is entered here it should always fall back to 3D Vision Discover. So I don't think that this one causes the issue. But try anyway.
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

whyme466 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:14 pm Sorry, I meant to say Windows Media Creation tool, not Player...
it is bootable correct?
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

Pauldusler wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:27 am
AFAIK the LG OLED needs an edit in Windows registry for correcting reversed eyes. Maybe this one got broken for you?
Go to "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D" and there you should have InterleavePattern0 and InterleavePattern1. Just delete them. They will be re-created next time you launch a game in 3D. Do this without 3DFM to also make sure it's not causing the issue. Eyes should be in wrong order now but maybe ghosting is gone then. There's also another registry entry "StereoViewerType". You can also try to delete this one (will be automatically recreated). It controls whether Optimized for Geforce or 3D Vision Discover is chosen. If a wrong value is entered here it should always fall back to 3D Vision Discover. So I don't think that this one causes the issue. But try anyway.
Neither worked, but I appreciate the suggestions.
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

Wow, so this issue turned out to be something hella stupid. It seems the most recent update for my TV set the sharpness for each one of my picture modes to maxed out sharpness. Its amazing how much this setting can mess up your 3D. Once I turned it back down all the way to 0, it was back to beautiful 3D. I was about to revert my pc to old system image too, which would have solved nothing haha. false alarm.... :roll:

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”