URGENT 3D Hockey Night in Canada Instructions!

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

If you are looking forward to watching Hockey Night in Canada tomorrow evening in stereoscopic 3D, MTBS has urgent instructions for you.

We have discovered that while the broadcast is made possible in a side by side format, some (maybe all?) modern 3D HDTVs require an HDMI connector to activate the 3D mode - even manually.  Many cable providers have been offering digital HD set top boxes that are based on component cables, not modern HDMI connectors.  In fact, even when HDMI is offered, many customers opt for the component cabling because it's cheaper and doesn't require extra "add-on" expenses.  For example, our local cable provider (Rogers) doesn't provide HDMI cabling, only component.  Some 3D HDTVs lock out the 3D options with the component HD inputs - which makes the side by side mode useless.
Read full article...
Neil

Re: URGENT 3D Hockey Night in Canada Instructions!

Post by Neil »

If you own a 3D HDTV and your cable system is based on component cables (not HDMI), can you please list your 3D HDTV brand and model # to confirm whether or not side by side mode (3D) can be activated with the component output? This way consumers will know whether or not it's necessary to get a new HD box and/or an HDMI cable for their existing unit. If your television doesn't have this problem, please indicate whether or not you had to do a firmware update to get around the issue.

I will start: The Panasonic Viera VT20 requires an HDMI cable with the latest firmware (as of writing this).

Regards,
Neil
gisabun

Post by gisabun »

The Montreal Canadiens vs Calgary Flames game on Feb. 20th will also be in 3D. If things don't get "fixed" for Saturday's game, you can prepare for the other one.

PS - Really want to watch the Toronah Maple Laughs in 3D?
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Hockey, there's not a better sport. Hopefully, this means at some point my Red Wings will be in 3D. :woot . 17-6-3 with 37 points :shock:

cheers Canada
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I wonder why manufacturers would lock out 3D on legacy ports. I don't see why SBS 3D wouldn't work over component (or even composite).
it_ninja
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by it_ninja »

Sorry, my setup's not good enough to test this out. But I've got a Comcast/Moto DCX3400, which I plug into my HTPC via firewire and some old drivers. Then, I record directly to hard drive and view on an old 17" CRT and XForce shutters through Stereoscopic Player.

Much better quality video that way, even if I get the old-school ghosting and flicker.

Comcast told me when I got the new box that it would require HDMI (assuming of course, I was using a new 3DTV). Instead, I just record as side-by-side and view in my own preferred method.
Neil

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

If you are looking forward to watching Hockey Night in Canada tomorrow evening in stereoscopic 3D, MTBS has urgent instructions for you.

Hockey Night in Canada in 3D

We have discovered that while the broadcast is made possible in a side by side format, some (maybe all?) modern 3D HDTVs require an HDMI connector to activate the 3D mode – even manually.  Many cable providers have been offering digital HD set top boxes that are based on component cables, not modern HDMI connectors.  In fact, even when HDMI is offered, many customers opt for the component cabling because it's cheaper and doesn't require extra “add-on” expenses.  For example, our local cable provider (Rogers) doesn't provide HDMI cabling, only component.  Some 3D HDTVs lock out the 3D options with the component HD inputs – which makes the side by side mode useless.

Return to “MTBS News”