Viva Las Vegas...We Think...

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

If things seem quiet at MTBS, this is just the calm before the storm.  For 3D gamers, we are expecting CES 2011 to be the best CES ever.  We are booked solid from one meeting to the next, and members can look forward to regular coverage throughout the week.
Read full article...
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Viva Las Vegas...We Think...

Post by yuriythebest »

Cool! Having played Fallout new vegas I hope you arrive there safely
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I'm hoping for lots of Display Port 1.2 3D monitors, hdmi 1.4 TVs and projectors, new glasses, new acessories, etc...
I'll be looking forward for your interviews and as much detailed information only 3D experts would ask.

I'd be very happy if you could ask Nvidia for an official release date for 3DTV play for people who don't have already bought 3D vision, as well as possible support for other types of legacy 3D displays.
If you could ask AMD to speak publicly about an update on their HD3D support, especially compatibility with legacy 3D displays (iZ3D monitors, Zalman monitors, dual projectors, etc...) directly from their driver (without relying solely on every application to support every type of 3D display) so that future software will still support every 3D display out there in a simple and easy way.
Don't forget to tell them how confusing their official HD3D web page is.
And as much interesting stuff you can find.
Have a good show and have fun in Las Vegas !
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Can't wait to see what they have to show at CES. I am hoping to see some more passive-polarized tech, not sure active-shutter is really the future. And more auto-stereo.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

cybereality, Im not sure so maybe you could clarify this for me. I'm under the impression that passive polorization solutions use half horizontal resolution. Combined that with lets say a reduced resolution broadcast signal. And we maybe approaching one quarter horizontal resolution. I'm not sure of all this. And if it still looks fantastic it really doesn't matter. anyone know?

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Passive solutions doesn't necessary have to be half res even if something (as with all stereo-3d solutions) generally is sacrificed. Planar, dual pj's the iz3d etc are examples of this. However so far none of them are really suited for the everyday user: Planars are bulky, dual projectors bulky and expensive (or not really compared to some tv-sets but i'm biased here... o.O) but both of them leaves any shutterrigs far behind in sense of quality/image.
The iz3d-monitor for example has full res, better brightness than most other 3d-displays but unfortunately ghosts more than other solutions.
Personally i really like the troublefree approach of passive solutions. Break/wear out a pair of glasses and you won't cry (think i have 7 pairs of broken glasses from parties etc right now). Wash them with soap and water when dirty etc. Riddance of the usual trouble with shutters: Batteries/charging, sensors/wires (my edims only had a reach of 3 decimetres from the emitter the last i used them...). If something isn't working you can exclude the glasses right away as source for error.
Flickerfree/not sensitive for motion are other pros for passive (some passive solutions shifts image like with shutters, for instance real-d pj's and suffers from these phenomenas anyway).

Future looks good for shutters though: Tv-sets gets brighter to compensate for 3d (some already do) and shutters cheaper (they probably cost a dollar or two in massproduction) which should make prices drop once 3d is established. Most newly introduced tv-sets can on designlevel be made for shutter-3d almost without any costly modifications at all. Problems are standards since everybody wants to be top dog and this together with remnants from old times causes the shutterjungle we have today.

Problems with passive solutions is that there's problem finding a solution which is slim, cheap and with an image quality that matches shutters. With the cost in mind shutters so far indeed rules. Let's see what happens in Vegas! 8-)
BlackShark wrote:I'd be very happy if you could ask Nvidia for an official release date for 3DTV play for people who don't have already bought 3D vision, as well as possible support for other types of legacy 3D displays.
If you could ask AMD to speak publicly about an update on their HD3D support, especially compatibility with legacy 3D displays (iZ3D monitors, Zalman monitors, dual projectors, etc...) directly from their driver (without relying solely on every application to support every type of 3D display) so that future software will still support every 3D display out there in a simple and easy way.
Don't forget to tell them how confusing their official HD3D web page is.
And as much interesting stuff you can find.
Have a good show and have fun in Las Vegas !
Sorry for quoting/partquoting but i'm also very curious on this!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Likay wrote:The iz3d-monitor for example has full res, better brightness than most other 3d-displays but unfortunately ghosts more than other solutions.
I hope some constructor will at least try to integrate something like a ZScreen within their TVs, that could give the best of both world, ie. full resolution and cheap glasses.

Or that they try to use a checkerboard pattern to replace horizontal interlace, since a lot of people seem to say it gives the best perceived resolution of the "half res" methods.
Likay wrote:Problems with passive solutions is that there's problem finding a solution which is slim, cheap and with an image quality that matches shutters. With the cost in mind shutters so far indeed rules. Let's see what happens in Vegas! 8-)
There are already some viable polarized solutions for TVs like the LG LD950 line, even though they are half resolution. They are quite good ghosting-wise too :

Right image : http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1082/p1010916g.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Left image : http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/641/p1010915wi.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Both images : http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/4282/p1010914.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Vizio has a number of passive model 3D TVs just announced (will be shown at CES) and these are based on the Film Type Patterned Retarder, similar to xpol, Zalman, etc. It is basically just an interleaved polarized film attached to the panel, so it halves the resolution in 3D. With side-by-side broadcasts you would effectively by halving horizontal and vertical resolution and only get one forth an HD image (or 960x540). This has been brought up on some tech sites and it didn't go over too well. Personally, I think it would be acceptable in some cases (ie 3D Blu-Ray, which would only be half-HD). But if you are playing PS3/PC games then you are already maxing out at 720P so half of that is not close to full HD. I mean, I use the Zalman and I'm telling you, it looks great. But the lose of resolution is noticeable and, more importantly, they have very small viewing angles so I am not sure how that would work out in a living room setting.

Also, there is no reason polarized has to be interleaved. That just happens to be the cheapest solution at the moment. For example, RealD movie theaters are passive-polarized and at full resolution. In fact, RealD has a version of the Z-Screen which they have incorporated into HDTVs (I believe prototypes are already working and may even be shown at CES). It appears this may initially be targeted at the professional market, but once the tech is out there it is likely to get picked up by consumer electronics. So this could be very beneficial for 3D adoption. I just can't see active shutter-glasses ever being mainstream, but cheap passive glasses (that can look identical to sun-glasses) are much more appealing to a mainstream audience. At least for the time period until we solve the issues with auto-stereo.
Neil

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

CES Logo

If things seem quiet at MTBS, this is just the calm before the storm.  For 3D gamers, we are expecting CES 2011 to be the best CES ever.  We are booked solid from one meeting to the next, and members can look forward to regular coverage throughout the week.

Return to “MTBS News”