Nvidia’s 3D stereo delayed to Q1 2009

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
mastRmind
One Eyed Hopeful

Nvidia’s 3D stereo delayed to Q1 2009

Post by mastRmind »

Nvidia's new shutter glasses intended for 120Hz LCD monitors are being pushed back to early next year instead of the end of this year.

Quote from Fudzilla: http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?optio ... 9&Itemid=1
Nvidia's 3D stereo has been pushed from original Q4 2008 to Q1 2009. The reason is quite simple, the display industry is not fast enough to bring 120Hz displays to the market; and this is the crucial point of 3D stereo technology.

You need at least 60Hz per eye to feel comfortable and currently there are just a few monitors that can do this, but they are based on old technology and cost quite a lot of money. The next generation 120Hz monitors should be only a tad more expensive than the current 60Hz, at least this is what Nvidia told us back in August. At that same time, we had a chance to see the new 3D stereo glasses and drivers, but the production and availability to retail have been pushed to Q1 2009, hopefully January time.

3D stereo does look great, but it might suffer from the fact that it looks much better when you look at static and slow scenes and in fast games such as FPS games you might lose some of the 3D feeling when you run. We still think that this is the way to go, and most importantly you don’t get a headache from the glasses, something that was the case 5 years ago when Nvidia introduced 3D stereoscopic gaming glasses.

The other issue is that we still don’t know the price of the glasses, but bear in mind that you need to buy a new monitor to make this work.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Nvidia’s 3D stereo delayed to Q1 2009

Post by Neil »

I spoke with Viewsonic yesterday and today, and this is the first they have heard of this. They have reached out to their NVIDIA contacts to see, but as NVIDIA hasn't come forward to MTBS, end of 2008 is super close anyway, and Viewsonic is planning on demoing at CES as planned (we were invited for a demo)...I think this is a non-news story and I see no cause to go crazy over it. I mean, how could they not delay to Q1 2009?!?

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I was figuring 1Q 09 this whole time. They left the window open and usually products are delayed rather than launching early. No big fuss really, 08 is almost over anyways. Not that much longer to wait, January is just round the corner.
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

I am going insane! Not because of the delay, but because some site named fudzilla broke this news and I am just coming to the realization how out of the loop you really are MTBS3d! Holy smokes! This is MAJOR news focusing on probably the biggest 3D event for us gamers in ages - and neil didn't even have a clue - HOLY JESUS!

And I thought george was made to look foolish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai0qLNwjvYA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the information age, you live or die by the nanosecond, and if you can't break news or keep your members ahead of the curve, you devolve into obsolescense quickly. Neil I thought with all those 2d pictures you were taking with industry big wigs you had some "special" access, but I guess the proof is in the pudding, they don't tell you anything - sad.
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

martinlandau wrote:I am going insane! Not because of the delay, but because some site named fudzilla broke this news and I am just coming to the realization how out of the loop you really are MTBS3d! Holy smokes! This is MAJOR news focusing on probably the biggest 3D event for us gamers in ages - and neil didn't even have a clue - HOLY JESUS!

And I thought george was made to look foolish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai0qLNwjvYA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the information age, you live or die by the nanosecond, and if you can't break news or keep your members ahead of the curve, you devolve into obsolescense quickly. Neil I thought with all those 2d pictures you were taking with industry big wigs you had some "special" access, but I guess the proof is in the pudding, they don't tell you anything - sad.
QFT.

Although I dont think anyone could not foresee this. I am so jaded by s3d its not funny.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
zazoo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zazoo »

I do not see this information attributed to any sources by the author of that article on Fudzilla (such as "our contact at nVidia has informed us that...."). nVidia's official press release on the subject does not give a firm date:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1219662403036.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have not seen any advertisements for the nVidia shutter glasses, and there is not even a pre-order link on the nVidia website. Furthermore, do we even have a nVidia-endorsed, published MSRP on the glasses/kits in the form of a press release or product link?

On the surface, it looks like the Fudzilla author made a deductive leap (and I say this because he did not quote a source), got an article out of it, and got some web page hits out of it, in turn. If the author had a source, he should have mentioned him/her by name. If by some miracle the shutterglasses do appear by the end of the year, Fudzilla will probably not even bother to amend/pull that page. This Fudzilla article is no revelation, and makes a statement that should not be a surprise to anyone. Without a source, this article (can we even call it an article? was there any investigation?) gets added to the heap of rumors and suppositions that permeate tech websites every day. We can't hold mtbs3d.com accountable for other supposed "news" that appears on other websites--especially if that "news" is based on opinion or deductions (however obvious they are). If there is no source, then it is not news--period. Furthermore, even if there is an official source for this "news" tidbit, it takes time for it to get disseminated (i.e. someone is going to get wind of the news first, and there is no law saying that mtbs3d is going to be it). Please note that I am not condemning the Fudzilla author--but even if this information was acquired as an anonymous tip, at least it should have been noted as so by Fudzilla. Perhaps the lack of a cited source (even an anonymous one) was just an oversight--but if it was not...then this article it is just casual web opinion/deduction.

Frankly, would anyone really be surprised if nVidia does not release a statement saying their glasses will be delayed? We would hope that they would keep their consumers informed, but nVidia is an 800 pound gorilla and the glasses are something of a niche product (which will hopefully gain steam, of course). This is not an excuse for nVidia to do whatever it wants, of course...but the reality is that, well, they pretty much can do whatever they want as far as keeping their potential customers informed (however much we don't like it, or however much it does not make sense to their business interests).

As to the role of mtbs3d, do we really want another website spreading rumors? Neil is doing the right thing by getting word from his contacts. The best any legitimate website can do is relay and comment on information shared from official sources (and cite the anonymous ones as such when such sources share information)...and even then there are no guarantees. I will wait...
Neil

Post by Neil »

Martinlandau,

Maybe you didn't read what I said. Viewsonic had no clue where this story came from. If MTBS and its number one display partner are out of the loop, then we are guilty as charged.

I see no benefit in posting stories based on guesses and innuendo. I personally held off because I wanted to confirm the sources. Wouldn't it be silly for NVIDIA to go out of their way to not inform the biggest and most active S-3D community in existence? If they did, I think their customers would be more ticked off than I would, don't you think? NVIDIA is a lot smarter than that, and they value their customers - so give them some credit.

What is "sad" is the only posts you share are public criticisms of our work - much of it is done by volunteers. Maybe you would be interested in contributing something instead? Editorials, game reviews, guides, content, etc. If it holds merit, we will publish it. You always fall silent when I ask you for something positive. Will this time be different?

Regards,
Neil
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

I am not very impressed by that article's opinions either. The author claims you lose some of the 3d effect if you aren't in a slow moving or static scene. The most enjoyable 3d immersion I get is when I am running in COD4 into a blaze of incoming gunfire, racing at 120mph under bridges, and flying low over a town at Mach 2.

It wasn't brain surgery for the author to figure out the release would be delayed until Q1 when there is only a couple weeks left in the year and it wouldn't make sense for anyone to release something now.

I am glad Neil didn't put anything about this on the main page....it belongs right here in "User Contributed Stereoscopic 3d New & Announcements" as it doesn't reference anything official or verified.

Keep up the good work Neil.
sharky

Post by sharky »

hi martinlandau!

if you followed other topics in this forum you noticed that i dont have any problem to say what i think, even if it goes against our members or even neil. (check for example oruq, karlkenner, neil i had public disussions with all of them...)

the point is, that neil is NOT mtbs. neil is the legal representation of mtbs, but mtbs are WE ALL TOGHETHER. it is impossible to even hope that neil can have lall the informations. even THG, youtube, nvidia, google, are made by thousends of people.. the question i have to you is why you didnt post it when you first saw this information.

no news, newspaper, or whatever you want is made by one person. i personally would like to see some reviews or similar from you.

hope you dont feel offended,

igor
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

I remember already reading somewhere *a few weeks ago* that NVIDIA solution is delayed to 1Q'09 ??

Oh yes, the Chinese article referenced here http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2301 says "Viewsonic monitor estimated to be available January 2009; Samsung will also have some 120Hz monitor(s) in 1Q'09".

I actually remember reading other article saying NVIDIA delaying the glasses because the monitors are not ready (i.e. implying the glasses are ready to launch, but NVIDIA thinks it must wait until at least one monitor is ready ...)
Doom Lord
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Doom Lord »

[quote="martinlandau"]

In the information age, you live or die by the nanosecond /[quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is one of the funniest things I have read all day. I have been wating for S3D with SLI support for years, it's still not here. I was waiting for the the TDVisor for months and months, its still not here. NOTHING in S3D world happens in a nanosecond.

Do I care that this has been delayed by 11 days?? nope.

Keep up the good work Neil.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Silversurfer »

ssiu wrote:I remember already reading somewhere *a few weeks ago* that NVIDIA solution is delayed to 1Q'09 ??

Oh yes, the Chinese article referenced here http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2301 says "Viewsonic monitor estimated to be available January 2009; Samsung will also have some 120Hz monitor(s) in 1Q'09".

I actually remember reading other article saying NVIDIA delaying the glasses because the monitors are not ready (i.e. implying the glasses are ready to launch, but NVIDIA thinks it must wait until at least one monitor is ready ...)
Finally some images of the elusive NVIDIA 3-D hardware, nice find ssiu. :D
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Neil wrote:Martinlandau,

Maybe you didn't read what I said. Viewsonic had no clue where this story came from. If MTBS and its number one display partner are out of the loop, then we are guilty as charged.
I know, you confirm nvidia has cut you out of the loop. Certainly it can't be because of all the support of iz3d/amd/ati can it?
I personally held off because I wanted to confirm the sources. Wouldn't it be silly for NVIDIA to go out of their way to not inform the biggest and most active S-3D community in existence?
Yet I have read MANY MANY posts here and at several other 3d people and even at nvidias own 3d forums where probably thousands if not tens of thousands of people are pissed off at nvidia's recent actions in so many things - so your logic is faulty. It seems lots of companies do silly things all the time!
If they did, I think their customers would be more ticked off than I would, don't you think? NVIDIA is a lot smarter than that, and they value their customers - so give them some credit.
Lots of customers are ticked off, nvidia is not smarter than that, reference your own board with pissed off posts of many s3d users.
What is "sad" is the only posts you share are public criticisms of our work - much of it is done by volunteers.
No not ALL my posts have been criticisms of you, I did pat you on the back from getting away from celine dion I thought!
Maybe you would be interested in contributing something instead? Editorials, game reviews, guides, content, etc.
I give a review of bolt3d, you move it to some other place than where I originally post it without even asking me if it is OK - but take it upon yourself - but then don't move someone elses bolt3d thread - this does not give me incentive to continue to contribute here - if it wasn't for the fact you got away from celine dion I would have left long time ago - but I see my welcome is wearing thin - kinda like yours with being in the internal nvidia loop!
If it holds merit, we will publish it. You always fall silent when I ask you for something positive. Will this time be different?
I do not always fall silent, I have responded to everything you have asked - give some examples where I gave no reply to a direct question of yours?

Regardless, the big point being Nvidia is still the biggest gorilla in the room, and they have cut you from the inside news loop, with justification I feel, that comes with sponsorship from competitors I suppose.
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

Neil just had an interview with an Nvidia representative back on Septemeber 11th.

I don't see where he supports any one company over another. There are sponsors of this site that obviously get advertisement and forum space, but I don't think I have seen anything where any of the news here is unusually favorable towards sponsors.

I will agree that Nvidia is a horrible company since they did keep us in the dark for years after dropping the support for 3d that we came to expect when buying their products. I used to be a huge Nvidia fan but I am done with them after the stunts they have pulled.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Martin,

I won't speak to the rest of it, but it is clear you are personally hurt and offended by the Bolt 3D fiasco.

I sent you a PM about this sometime ago. When Pam wrote her Bolt 3D review, I wanted to move your thread and connect it to her review thread to prevent double posts. My intention was to join them so member input can get even more attention.

Unfortunately, I messed up. We just upgraded to the new PHPBB forums, and I misunderstood how the feature was supposed to be used. Your review got accidentally chopped in the process - it wasn't anything personal.

There are going to be a lot of 3D movies coming up, and if you want to contribute a review, send it to me, and I'm happy to print it as an official MTBS contribution. I'll even post it on the front page.

If you have further concerns or ideas, my personal mailbox is always open.

Regards,
Neil
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

I think Martin Landau's posts are usually heavy on the satire, and light on comments meant to be taken literally. So I wouldn't take anything too personally. They are great comedy.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”