MTBS-TV: Natural View Talks 2D/3D Conversion in AS-3D

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

Yes, CES 2011 proves to be the gift that keeps on giving!

Natural View is a technology that takes traditional 2D content, and converts it to multi-view auto-stereoscopic 3D on the fly.
Read full article...
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: MTBS-TV: Natural View Talks 2D/3D Conversion in AS-3D

Post by Likay »

On the fly conversion and multiview screens.... two things that don't go too well today if you have a somewhat healthy "stereoscopic eye". May i ask for your (Neils) personal opinion about it? I'm curious if there's an enhance in experience compared to the old philips wowvx-time.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I wouldn't have much hope for their 2D-3D conversion process, but I guess the 3D to 8 views conversion could possibly work quite well. That would be really great to be able to experience the added depth perception thanks to motion parallax. I'd also like to hear Neil about his feelings about this.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I feel feclempt.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Generating 8 views in 2ms?!?! I don't think it can be done.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Uh Neil, what does "feclempt" mean ? Can't you elaborate a little bit more ?
cybereality wrote:Generating 8 views in 2ms?!?! I don't think it can be done.
Why so ? If Samsung is able to generate 8 intermediate views (240Hz/24Hz - 2) in realtime by interpolation for their UN55C8000 TV, I don't see why this company couldn't do it.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

cybereality wrote:Generating 8 views in 2ms?!?! I don't think it can be done.
Basically this is about 2d+depth, nothing more. The conversonalgorithm makes a depthmap which then is applied 8 times to the 2d-image. Or even simplier with a small altering only one render is needed to generate all 8 views in one blow without the need of applying the depthmap to each and every view.
However: Multiview displays=low resolution (unless someone find a real brilliant solution... :roll: ). It uses 2d+depth algorithm so the display can't even take a "true" stereoscopic signal and display as is without conversion (it's theoretically possible to separate the two views like in a stereoscopic lenticaular device thus needing no conversion but then only two views are used).

Multiview lenticular/parallax/whatever displays have some plusses though: Glassesfree. The multiple views makes viewing more natural since headmovements to some degree is compensated. While you'll loose impression of depth when moving closer to the screen while using "standard" stereoscopy, a multiview display will maintain the imagined image since views shifts when you move the head, even depthwise. This will make the image appear more "holographic" than "standard" stereoscopy.
"Standard" sterescopy maintains the images which during headmovements makes the brain think that the image/scene itself moves.

However i have no hope for this technology though. At least not yet. Still curious about other feelings than "feclempt"! ;)
Cheers!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I think neil is said that in sweedish or german like those fellas in the video. Thats real cool that they are using hardware encoding or is it software? Nevertheless they would need to get a kernal codec microchip that does the 7gbps encoding in the tv. Would be nice to hook in a coaxial low def cable signal and get an autostereoscopic 9 view experience.

And the whole reason it cost so much money and that autostereo and high def stereo modes are failing is cause Intel and Amd are not making those new Photonic Microprossesors along with data connections to the tv with fiber optic cords cause the raw materials are getting ruled by the chineese government and somehow everyone thinks chineese or japaneese made electronics are the best, but in actual fact those places are milking the cow on old outsources tech like copper wire and expensive overrated quality 3d effects. It cost 40 million to make a 3d animation film, sounds like everyone is happy with the money spent vs money coming in. As long as theres something worth it in stereo3d in the next 10 years I'll be happy. Just hope it comes out alot sooner. Could be magical**
Neil

Post by Neil »

Feclempt (explained here, 1:40 onward)...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqPiJ0L7YmY[/youtube]

Talk amongst yourselves... :D

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Fredz wrote:Why so ? If Samsung is able to generate 8 intermediate views (240Hz/24Hz - 2) in realtime by interpolation for their UN55C8000 TV, I don't see why this company couldn't do it.
You've got a point there. I guess I will reserve judgment until I can see the thing with my own eyes.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Likay wrote:Basically this is about 2d+depth, nothing more.
It's a little bit more interesting than 2D + depth I'd say since they've access to real 3D information (a stereoscopic couple). It could probably be called 3D + depth since they also have access to the occluded informations in each view. I think that would produce better results than a 2D + depth approach if they're able to correctly build a depth map from the two images and use the information given by occluded pixels in each view.
Likay wrote:However: Multiview displays=low resolution (unless someone find a real brilliant solution... :roll: ).
The brilliant solution has already been found, you just need to have a display with a really big resolution like in the 56" Philips 3D TV (3840×2160). Better resolutions are still needed, but I guess technology will allow this in the future.
Likay wrote:However i have no hope for this technology though. At least not yet.
Considering what can be achieved with printed images and lenticular sheets, I guess it's only a matter of time before we can experiment this on TV sets.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ozELc2senQ[/youtube]
Neil

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Yes, CES 2011 proves to be the gift that keeps on giving!

[caption id="attachment_15927" align="alignnone" width="514"]Rainer Weiss (left) and Michael Steglich (right) of Natural View at CES 2011 Rainer Weiss (left) and Michael Steglich (right) of Natural View at CES 2011 [/caption]

Natural View is a technology that takes traditional 2D content, and converts it to multi-view auto-stereoscopic 3D on the fly.

Return to “MTBS News”