I have a RTX2070 super...should I buy a 3D monitor..or better forget?

Alfredkuac
One Eyed Hopeful

I have a RTX2070 super...should I buy a 3D monitor..or better forget?

Post by Alfredkuac »

Hi guys!
I'm a 3D fanatic, I was playing with my Alienware laptop since a long time ago and now I have a new RTX2070super..my question is, If I buy the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q, will it work with my super?? Im gonna pay a lot of money for it, and I need to be sure.
And if it's working, how complicated is the process?

Thank you in advance guys!! and thank you for the people that is doing a great work to keep the 3D alive!!!! (not like nvidia!)
kakashisensei
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: I have a RTX2070 super...should I buy a 3D monitor..or better forget?

Post by kakashisensei »

I don't know how hard it is to find a new 3d monitor nowadays. I believe most were ugly TN monitors. My best experience has been a 4k oled 3d tv, but the last LG model was the 2016 model...

If you like VR, you could try 3D vision + Virtual Desktop. While there is a performance hit in VR due to copying the frame buffer to the virtual screen and rendering the virtual screen as well, there are ways to lessen it like turning down resolution or resolution scaling. And the perceived game resolution is pretty crappy compared to 3d monitor. But the benefits are that its more immersive due to the size of the screen, the virtual dark room, and no cross talk or dimming that you get with 3D glasses.

I am using a odyssey + WMR headset which has really good resolution for the price ( less than $250). You can use a monitor edid spoofing tool called CRU to make 3d vision driver work on your monitor. Then you just set the games to SBS and they work great in VR desktop.
zaibaker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zaibaker »

Is HelixVision better for that or not as compatible than Virtual Desktop + SBS from 3D fixes on the blog thanks to the community?

I'm curious to know the answer of the official like Bo3b.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

A better VR solution for 3D Vision gaming may be to use HelixVision (available on Steam), developed by some of this forum's most talented members.

Since the NVIDIA Super cards cannot use the last officially supported 3D Vision driver (425.31), Super owners may want to consider using techniques/apps like viewtopic.php?f=105&t=23703&sid=c88b5a6 ... 919f273ffd or viewtopic.php?f=105&t=23752.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

I have 3D Vision glasses and an Oculus Rift. Wearing the Rift becomes very uncomfortable after 30 minutes (it's about 500 g pushing in your face, and becomes warm/sweaty) and resolution is much lower. So I prefer 3D Vision over VR by far. But you'll have to keep in mind that 3D Vision isn't supported officially anymore, so it may not work in the future.
However 3D Vision can be installed with the newest nvidia drivers, so I expect it to work in the near future. Unfortunately I don't have a Super card, but a 108ti. Works great on that one. Maybe some of the other forum members can confirm if BringBack3DV works with the newest cards?
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

More recent HMDs like Index and Vive Pro have better weight distribution than original Rift - I can use my Vive Pro for hours playing games like Asgard’s Wrath and Alyx. However, my passive 3D glasses (for LG’s E6 OLED display) are more comfortable - but these 3D displays/glasses are no longer available...
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

Alfredkuac wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:16 pm Hi guys!
I'm a 3D fanatic, I was playing with my Alienware laptop since a long time ago and now I have a new RTX2070super..my question is, If I buy the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q, will it work with my super?? Im gonna pay a lot of money for it, and I need to be sure.
And if it's working, how complicated is the process?

Thank you in advance guys!! and thank you for the people that is doing a great work to keep the 3D alive!!!! (not like nvidia!)
Just my opinion here, but I think you should buy this monitor. It's terrific for 3D, and even as a straight monitor it's very nice. Presumably you still have working 3D Vision glasses?

It is definitely possible to use 3D with with 2070 Super card, other people have reported it as working. The basic principle is to modify the version numbers for the 3D Vision Driver to match the Video Driver you need. Losti's technique works here for Super cards, which are past the 425.31 support.

It's not particularly hard for the first few drivers after 425.31, including the 2070 Super launch driver. It's easy for any driver if you use Win10 1809.

It starts getting weird with Win10 1903+44x.xx drivers. It sounds like Robert256's BringBack3DV tool automates this and works, and would work with Super card.

What you should do is try doing the install of the 3D Vision driver before you buy the monitor. It's free to experiment with the drivers and installers. If you have no 3D hardware just yet, set it to Discover mode for testing. Should work.
Blacksmith60
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Allow me to suggest the newer model ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR, which by far is superior, anyway these monitors are rated as some of the best gaming monitors even in 2D..

I love mine ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR, with almost zero (visible) ghosting, and the Super cards is reported working, and with a little luck (and some help from our friends in here) we have 3D Vision several years ahead :)
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Hopefully, when you bought your Nvidia glasses, you also bought the emitter.
Check e-bay for an emitter, before buying the monitor, if you do not have one.

Keep in mind that the battery in Nvidia glasses can be replaced with a little work

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”