Ace Combat 7 3D Fix (WIP 1)

DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Ace Combat 7 3D Fix (WIP 1)

Post by DJ-RK »

Hey everyone, figured I'd finally share with y'all that I've been working on an AC7 fix for the past few weeks.

My fixing time is very limited again (maybe a couple hours a week, some weeks none), and despite this being a UE4 game there's quite a few unique effects, so progress is a bit slow. This is still a very early WIP, so there are still a few issues left to be fixed, biggest ones being that my fix for clouds still needs a fix for blocky clipping along the edges (only appears sometimes, but sometimes appears very prevalently), and some metallic reflections are incorrect (while most others are correct), and have only done some basic work on the HUD so far (mission briefing screens may require you to cycle through different depth and/or convergence settings), but it does put this into a rather playable state (possibly even around the 90% fixed mark) whereas before I think people were playing this in CM.

I'm still working away at this (and on my MHW:IB fix, for those still waiting), so if you wait a few more weeks hopefully will resolve the remaining issues, but I mainly wanted to put this out just to let people know I'm still working on projects as time permits, and also by putting this out helps me to remain semi-accountable (in my mind) to complete this and, of course, to give those that have been patiently waiting and can't wait to play this ASAP the chance to do so.

Have not played that far (2 or 3 missions in), so I'm very welcoming of people reporting issues found later on in the campaign.

Download AC7 WIP 1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Ace Combat 7 3D Fix (WIP 1)

Post by skyrimer »

Those screens look amazing, I don't see any issues in there but we know you love perfect fixes so I'm sure the final fix is going to be flawless.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
lohan
Cross Eyed!

Post by lohan »

Just one word, DJ...STUNNING!

Can't wait for the full fix!
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Thank you DJ-RK!

It's a brilliant game too, definitely worth checking out!
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
Skawen
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Skawen »

Thank You for looking in to this one :)

Was hoping to try this game, but that it was without the fix I forgot about it :)
kakashisensei
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kakashisensei »

Thank you so much for this! I havent tried 3dvision in this game since a year ago with UE4 CM mode and it was really meh. With this its alot better. On my oled tv, its pretty good but I got to play more with the seperation value. I am trying to get that toyification 3d look. On VR, its really nice as I can crank up the seperation to +120.

So far Im also 3 missions in and the only visual defect Ive seen is that some clouds/horizon cloudline appears very low-res blocky. Usually its clouds that are not in focus on the camera and it looks like its an alpha texture layer thats attributing to the blocky look.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

kakashisensei wrote:Thank you so much for this! I havent tried 3dvision in this game since a year ago with UE4 CM mode and it was really meh. With this its alot better.
Awesome! Glad to hear of someone actually playing and enjoying it.
On my oled tv, its pretty good but I got to play more with the seperation value. I am trying to get that toyification 3d look. On VR, its really nice as I can crank up the seperation to +120.
If you're after toyification, you actually want to be playing around with the convergence, not the separation. I'll probably add some presets for various convergence settings in the next release.
So far Im also 3 missions in and the only visual defect Ive seen is that some clouds/horizon cloudline appears very low-res blocky. Usually its clouds that are not in focus on the camera and it looks like its an alpha texture layer thats attributing to the blocky look.
Yeah, that's what I referred to by "blocky clipping" in my original post. I've already got 1 of 2 things that need to be fixed, fixed, and hopefully can figure out the 2nd part of the fix to get it perfect. Without my current fix, all clouds/smoke would be in 2D at screen depth, and because these are handled by compute shaders, they are calculated and rendered in "tiles", and fixing those effects in 3D often push the effect outside of it's tile borders, resulting in clipping on the edges of the effect, essentially requiring a 2nd fix now to adjust the borders of the tiles to be correct in 3D (which can be a bit tricky to solve).
kakashisensei
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kakashisensei »

Hmmm not sure if the game updated, but the 3d fix is not working as intended anymore for me. Link to screenshot for half sbs format is below. This is with 50 sep and +120 conv. You can see the black portion of the plane on the right eye image. At any separation value, it begins to have this. And the environment (objects, terrain, water) also have wrong separation. This used to be perfect for me in VR at these sep and conv settings. I have to set sep and conv to 1 for it to look right.

I thought it may have to do with nvidia driver update. I went back to the older driver 442.50 but its the same thing. Reinstalled the 3d fix too but its still like this.

https://imgur.com/a/vY4WS0x
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Alright, thanks for the report, I'll look into it shortly (thankfully I'm now staying home for however long I can and will have time to work on stuff again).

Edit: Just loaded into a mission and it worked perfectly fine for me. This was on my Windows 7, which isn't up to date with the latest driver, so you might be right about the driver itself being the issue. I'm currently trying to get the latest driver installed on my Windows 10 using the latest method and having some weird issues (and have done multiple install attempts), so I don't think it's working quite as perfectly as people are reporting.
kakashisensei
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kakashisensei »

Just tried it again and it works fine both on tv and vr. I noticed there was a game update since I last saw the 3d vision issue. Maybe that fixed it.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

There is absolutely no precedent, and 0% chance that an update went and broke the fix and then a subsequent update went and reverted back or refixed it. Plus with the method used to fix effects in the first place (regex), it would take a complete overhaul of the graphics engine for it to have been broken by an update in the first place.

No, the more likely case is that you did not correctly install it (or your driver) in the first place, or were having some other issue related to your setup. Why can't some people accept/admit that they make mistakes or are at fault, and have to find blame elsewhere or make needless excuses? That loses my respect, meanwhile making a mistake and owning up to it gains it.
Vaeltaja
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vaeltaja »

I will propably start testing your fix today. Been wanting to buy this game since it was released, but I just can't play games with compatibilty mode (haloing causes sometimes head ache and nausea and looks bad). Thank you for this wip!
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

Is this fix still working? Where do I copy the files from the fix?
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

DJ-RK wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:29 am There is absolutely no precedent, and 0% chance that an update went and broke the fix and then a subsequent update went and reverted back or refixed it. Plus with the method used to fix effects in the first place (regex), it would take a complete overhaul of the graphics engine for it to have been broken by an update in the first place.

No, the more likely case is that you did not correctly install it (or your driver) in the first place, or were having some other issue related to your setup. Why can't some people accept/admit that they make mistakes or are at fault, and have to find blame elsewhere or make needless excuses? That loses my respect, meanwhile making a mistake and owning up to it gains it.
@DJ-RK where do you go to install the 3DV fix you made? Where are those files unpacked to?
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Muojo wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:13 pm
DJ-RK wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:29 am There is absolutely no precedent, and 0% chance that an update went and broke the fix and then a subsequent update went and reverted back or refixed it. Plus with the method used to fix effects in the first place (regex), it would take a complete overhaul of the graphics engine for it to have been broken by an update in the first place.

@DJ-RK where do you go to install the 3DV fix you made? Where are those files unpacked to?
I don't have this installed to check, but all UE4 games follow this general format: .\<GameName>\<ProjectTitle>\binaries\Win64\<Gamename>.exe, and you need to have the fix files in the same folder as the game's main .exe file, so for Ace Combat 7 it would be something like: .\AceCombat7\AC7\binaries\Win64\ac7.exe
My Killer 3D Gaming System Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5600x | GPU: GTX 2080 TI | Mobo: MSI x570 MAG Tomahawk | RAM: 4x8GB GSkill Triden Neo 3600Mhz | Cooling: Arctic Freezer II 280mm | Storage: OS on WB Black NVME M.2, various other SSDs & HDDs | Displays: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR, Optoma UHD50 | VR HMD: Oculus Quest 2 | Controller: Razer Wolverine Ultimate | Keyboard: Logitech G910 | Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity | Driving wheel: Logitech G27 | Flight sticks: TM Warthog / T16000M | Throttle: TM TWCS | Pedals: TM TFRP | Chair: DX Racer
Performance results here

My Paypal or send to rshannonca@gmail.com <-- For those that would like to show extra appreciation and support for my fixes
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

DJ-RK wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:17 am

I don't have this installed to check, but all UE4 games follow this general format: .\<GameName>\<ProjectTitle>\binaries\Win64\<Gamename>.exe, and you need to have the fix files in the same folder as the game's main .exe file, so for Ace Combat 7 it would be something like: .\AceCombat7\AC7\binaries\Win64\ac7.exe
Game needs to be installed in the games main folder, i have checked this with the universal fix 2, and its different and needs adjustments so now i see you have made a WIP so this should work. But game install folder is the main game folder. First game nexdt to SW-Squadron seeing this for UE4 not having the common folder structure.

So simply extract the WIP right to the Ace7Game.exe @Muojo
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

@DJ-RK, I just extracted it to the exe location which is quite a bit different from the format you'd think via Steam. The fix works but I have a very bad ghost effect around any aircraft I fly in 3rd person view. I don't have the issue in cockpit view. It makes it quite hard to play the game. I am on a C6 OLED with Joker's EDID Acer passive 3D override
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Muojo wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:29 am

@DJ-RK, I just extracted it to the exe location which is quite a bit different from the format you'd think via Steam. The fix works but I have a very bad ghost effect around any aircraft I fly in 3rd person view. I don't have the issue in cockpit view. It makes it quite hard to play the game. I am on a C6 OLED with Joker's EDID Acer passive 3D override
Yes, I did not spend a lot of time with this game, and that WIP is from nearly 2 years ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's no longer in a playable state (and it arguably may never have been in the first place). Have you or Losti tried this with one of the more recent versions of the UE4 Universal Fix? This was a fairly unique game, so I'm not surprised that the earlier universal fix didn't cover it, but perhaps one of the many revisions since may have improved compatibility? If not, I'd eventually love to get to play/fix this, among many others, but sadly my priorities have to be focused elsewhere and my hands are essentially tied until my situation improves.
My Killer 3D Gaming System Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5600x | GPU: GTX 2080 TI | Mobo: MSI x570 MAG Tomahawk | RAM: 4x8GB GSkill Triden Neo 3600Mhz | Cooling: Arctic Freezer II 280mm | Storage: OS on WB Black NVME M.2, various other SSDs & HDDs | Displays: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR, Optoma UHD50 | VR HMD: Oculus Quest 2 | Controller: Razer Wolverine Ultimate | Keyboard: Logitech G910 | Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity | Driving wheel: Logitech G27 | Flight sticks: TM Warthog / T16000M | Throttle: TM TWCS | Pedals: TM TFRP | Chair: DX Racer
Performance results here

My Paypal or send to rshannonca@gmail.com <-- For those that would like to show extra appreciation and support for my fixes
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

@DJ read my message 2 posts above :-). Unfortunately the uf issnt working here. Its still really unique.
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

Losti wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:49 am

Game needs to be installed in the games main folder, i have checked this with the universal fix 2, and its different and needs adjustments so now i see you have made a WIP so this should work. But game install folder is the main game folder. First game nexdt to SW-Squadron seeing this for UE4 not having the common folder structure.

So simply extract the WIP right to the Ace7Game.exe @Muojo
Yeah I did that. But yeah the WIP has some issues with double image shadow around the planes. So so close but not playable :(
DJ-RK wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:01 pm
Muojo wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:29 am

Yes, I did not spend a lot of time with this game, and that WIP is from nearly 2 years ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's no longer in a playable state (and it arguably may never have been in the first place). Have you or Losti tried this with one of the more recent versions of the UE4 Universal Fix? This was a fairly unique game, so I'm not surprised that the earlier universal fix didn't cover it, but perhaps one of the many revisions since may have improved compatibility? If not, I'd eventually love to get to play/fix this, among many others, but sadly my priorities have to be focused elsewhere and my hands are essentially tied until my situation improves.
Yeah I understand

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”