Resident Evil 3

masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Resident Evil 3

Post by masterotaku »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/9520 ... NT_EVIL_3/

Update-> Blog post: https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2020/04/r ... -evil.html

Old content of the OP:
Reserving the OP for next month, because this is a game I'm getting day one.

Unless there are unexpected surprises (like new unsupported DX11 extensions for 3Dmigoto, which happened with RE2 at first (thanks again, Schwing and DSS), I don't expect the fix to take too long. I'll have to use again most of the regexes, fix some specific buffers (the tedious part), check mirrors if there's any, and fix possible new effects.

There will be a demo this month, but I may wait for the real release while I fix other games.
Last edited by masterotaku on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shift-E
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Resident Evil 3

Post by Shift-E »

good news ineed, I had a feeling this one would be in your sights. I have been holding off on the good preorder deals just to try the demo first, as I never played the original.

Speaking of demos, I remember trying the RE2 demo in 2D and deciding the game wasn't for me...and then you released your RE2 3D fix, so I went back and tried the demo in 3D just for the heck of it and was bowled over. I immediately bought it, the fix was amazing and made the entire game come to life. and then you snuck in a small fix for the particles and the game was truly perfect in 3D! amazing visuals.

Is RE3 similar to RE2, or is it more action than horror? I guess I will find out soon enough..
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

Glad to hear that, still haven't played RE2 though, i'm on the fence on playing it without trying RE1 HD and missing part of the story before RE2.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Shift-E wrote:Is RE3 similar to RE2, or is it more action than horror? I guess I will find out soon enough..
Original was definitely more action than horror, and this remake has been said to be even moreso by the developers.
skyrimer wrote:Glad to hear that, still haven't played RE2 though, i'm on the fence on playing it without trying RE1 HD and missing part of the story before RE2.
I would suggest to just watch a Youtube video showing the cutscenes from RE0 and RE1HD. It's not like you can play either of them in 3D due to pre-rendered backgrounds, and even if you could they are both kinda painful to play compared to today's standards, so might as well just do what you gotta do to get caught up to experience the new remakes.
DugomFirst
Cross Eyed!

Post by DugomFirst »

RE3 graphics looks great already. I've finish RE2 twice with Clair A and Leon B so RE3 will be mine too, for shure.

Looking for Detroit and Ori2 too.

Thanks again MasterOtaku !
edwardsean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edwardsean »

RE2 is an amazing game. I don't think you need to have played other RE games. I didn't and enjoyed RE2 multiple times.

I can't wait for RE3!

Hoping for a 3D fix on the demo if it's not complicated.

There's nothing like the surprises of the first play through. To have that in 3D would be amazing, especially considering how amazing these games look with the RE engine.
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

edwardsean wrote: Hoping for a 3D fix on the demo if it's not complicated.
I may not have time for that. I'm currently working on Black Mesa and I was also improving the Nier Automata fix just before that (I stopped to play Drakengard first with PCSX2).
Between those two and other halfway done fixes I have, most likely I won't have time to fix the demo.

However, I tend to give in to the hype, so who knows :p.
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

Demo arrives March 19, 1 pm ET PC:

The Raccoon City Demo will reveal a brand new cinematic trailer exclusive to demo participants upon completion, and will be available starting March 19 at 12am ET on Xbox One and 1pm ET on PlayStation 4 and Steam.
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

I have the game and I'll be getting the demo. Will write a bug report here when I finish testing (with the existing RE2 fix).
Win 10 v1909 / 1x Nvidia 980Ti GPU (v452.22, 1080p)
edwardsean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edwardsean »

Awesome! is there a way I can try the demo and full RE3 using the RE2 fix?

I use 3D Fix Manager. If I just copy the contents of RE2's profile folder into the profile folder for RE3, will that work?
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

I don't use 3DFM for installing fixes, but looking at its fix folder (923), I'd say it's a bit complicated. It would be easier to go to the RE2 game folder and copy the following files to the RE3 game folder:
  • ShaderFixes folder
  • d3dx.ini
  • d3d11.dll
  • nvapi64.dll
  • d3dcompiler_46.dll
  • uninstall.bat
edwardsean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edwardsean »

Got it. Thanks Schwing!
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

Don't expect good results using a non dedicated fix for Resident Evil 3. Most shaders will be OK thanks to regex, probably (I don't know if volumetric lighting will need the DMC5 or the RE2 regex, or a new one), but there is a very important part that I had to manually fix for each game that uses this engine: buffers.

I have to monoize some of them to not get garbled graphics or things missing in one eye, and usually stereoize a specific one for screen space reflections.

I don't know if I'll be able to test the demo in time, so try whatever you want, but please be patient for the real game :).
edwardsean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edwardsean »

Thanks for letting me know. I'll definitely temper my expectations.

And, of course, I can be patient for a real fix.

It's just that there's no way I can keep from trying for myself. RE2 was a huge surprise for me last year. I never played an RE game before, because I just didn't expect much. It turned out being one of my favorite games of all time. I'm more excited for RE3 than I've been for a game in while!
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

The demo is out now and it's not timed. I checked for new vendor extensions and I don't see any. So no 3DMigoto update needed.

Edit:

Here are my findings, having played about five minutes of the demo. It's somewhat playable with no hangs or crashes, but the demo is a small sample size:
  • Major:
    • A nearby object appears randomly on the player
      • For instance, a door gets stuck to you if you walk towards the NPC's near the beginning
      • I don't remember seeing this in RE2
    • Many objects appear in one eye, such as decals or cardboard boxes
      • I saw some decal ShaderRegexes in the ini
    • A couple minutes in, in the outside area, fire is at screen depth

• Minor:
    • HUD elements, gun smoke, the crosshair, waypoint markers, and fire on the main menu are at screen depth. Also the hotkeys don't work
      • For all of these, I believe this means the shader hashes in ShaderFixes are outdated
    • The loading screen is 2D
  • Misc notes:
    • Lighting, shadows, and reflections look fine
      • Sounds like the regexes caught those with no issues, and I don't see the right-side graphics corruption I had with RE2
    • Just for reference, when I tried a Debug build of 3DMigoto, the game kept throwing a "stride mismatch" exception. It doesn't happen for public releases
      • It was complaining that the TetraCoordinate and TetraCoordinate2 SRV's in a cshader (t8 and t11) are set as a stride of 48, whereas the cshader expects 80
    • Tested with lowest and highest settings, FXAA and motion blur disabled
    • Tested with vendor extensions and optimize shader enabled, but I didn't notice a difference
    • Used RE2 fix with no changes made
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

schwing wrote:
  • Major:
    • A nearby object appears randomly on the player
      • For instance, a door gets stuck to you if you walk towards the NPC's near the beginning
      • I don't remember seeing this in RE2
    • Many objects appear in one eye, such as decals or cardboard boxes
That's exactly what I expected to be broken, and it was happening in RE2 and DMC5 before I fixed them. It's about the buffers I have to monoize, which vary per game.

schwing wrote: [*]Minor:
  • HUD elements, gun smoke, the crosshair, waypoint markers, and fire on the main menu are at screen depth. Also the hotkeys don't work
    • For all of these, I believe this means the shader hashes in ShaderFixes are outdated
  • The loading screen is 2D
[/list]
Yep, expected. Each game has its own HUD shaders.
schwing wrote:
  • Misc notes:
    • Lighting, shadows, and reflections look fine
      • Sounds like the regexes caught those with no issues, and I don't see the right-side graphics corruption I had with RE2
Mostly expected. There are some regexes common to the three games I already fixed.
schwing wrote: [*]Just for reference, when I tried a Debug build of 3DMigoto, the game kept throwing a "stride mismatch" exception. It doesn't happen for public releases
  • It was complaining that the TetraCoordinate and TetraCoordinate2 SRV's in a cshader (t8 and t11) are set as a stride of 48, whereas the cshader expects 80
[/list][/list][/list]
That's on the devs' side, right?

I'll get the demo tonight (I guess I'm impatient too :p). In Spain time, more than 12 hours from now. In the end it will be work done in advance. So you can expect a fixed demo soon.
Thanks for testing, Schwing. I'll let you know if I encounter something strange on 3Dmigoto's side.
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

No problem, masterotaku. It is on the dev side of things. If you are able to boot up to the main menu then I doubt there will be any problems like that. The only thing I forgot to mention is there wasn't any rain to test with.
edwardsean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edwardsean »

masterotaku wrote: I'll get the demo tonight (I guess I'm impatient too :p). In Spain time, more than 12 hours from now. In the end it will be work done in advance. So you can expect a fixed demo soon..
Hurray!
Lundamyrstrollet
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lundamyrstrollet »

Tested and encounter the same Problems schwing reported off... Started first in DX12 with RE2 Fix enabled, green overlay appears, switched many times between the two Apis and there are the same "minor" things schwing describes, no difference between DX11 and DX 12...Never seen 3dmigoto works with DX12, but theres the green overlay and the same behaviour as in DX11 in therms of Character Shadows etc... How can this be? :geek:
edwardsean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edwardsean »

If you don't mind, please post any partial fixes for us to test. It would be fun to try out any part of it.
Feisty_Fernando

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

The demo is amazing. Played through the original way back when, Nemesis is now twice the tank he used to be.
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

Progress! Fixed geometry problems (there is one left when the camera is too close to a wall, behind Jill), stereoized particles, smoke and fire, and I have to fix some screen space reflections, clipping and put it up to date in features (sharpening and vignette removal, dynamic HUD, etc). I think I'll release something tonight.

Edit: dynamic HUD -> done. Extra SSR fix -> done. Sharpening toggle -> done (same shader).
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

I've added the link to the fix for the demo in the OP.
There is some clipping in lighting (the previous regex I had for that didn't work). I'll figure that out while fixing the final game.
edwardsean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edwardsean »

Masterotaku, you are awesome!

Thank you!
edwardsean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edwardsean »

I just realized I still need to use 3D fix manager to swap left/right eyes.

Can I copy the fix files to the RE3 folder, but still launch the game with 3D Fix manager without toggling its fix button?
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

As a workaround I use 3D Vision Eye Swapper and set it up to run on Windows startup.
edwardsean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edwardsean »

First of all RE3 is amazing. It’s already my favorite game,just from the demo!

Thanks to everyone who made 3D RE3 possible!

Ive been using the Advanced 3DVision configuration tool. I lock the registry and so it’s changed permanently until I change it back. Is this not a good a method? Should I use the Swapper?

Thanks!
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

That's an easier method. Just keep the lock in mind for if something goes wrong.
lohan
Cross Eyed!

Post by lohan »

Lately I was a little bit concerned about the implementation of the model viewer that is usually part of every Resident Evil game. The model viewer has been a feature in most Resident Evil games since Resident Evil 4. While I always liked this kind of feature in every game it has become one of my most beloved features for games that are playable in glorious 3D Vision and Resident Evil games in particular!
Resident Evil 2 Remake's model viewer with Masterotaku's fix is the pinnacle in that regard so far. Since Resident Evil 3's graphics seem to further improve what was already stellar in Resident Evil 2's Remake I am totally hyped for the model viewer in RE3's Remake.

So far there was absolutely no information about the model viewer being in the game and I was starting to get a little bit nervous. But it seems some guys already found the specific parts in the demo's code. So the model viewer should definitely be in the game.

I encourage EVERYONE who plays the game in glorious 3D Vision (as soon as Masterotaku has blessed the game with his magic) to pay some attention to the model viewer!
edwardsean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edwardsean »

I'm playing the full version of RE3 with Masterotaku's fix for the demo. It works perfectly as far as I can tell.

It is simply breathtaking in 3D.
lohan
Cross Eyed!

Post by lohan »

That's great news! Please give some feedback as soon as you get to locations in the game that weren't available in the demo!
edwardsean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edwardsean »

Yeah, I've out of the demo area for a while now. The fix is working just fine.
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

Someone failed the mission to take my external HDD to a place with good internet connection, where I planned to download the game remotely. I'll have to wait until Monday to get the game, most likely, unless I sacrifice some mobile data.
I see that people are surviving with the demo fix, right? There are still some imperfections I need to fix, and probably more things in new areas.

Anyway, this free time is being put to good use in another fix that is coming soon :).
guitarlickz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by guitarlickz »

lohan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:52 am Lately I was a little bit concerned about the implementation of the model viewer that is usually part of every Resident Evil game. The model viewer has been a feature in most Resident Evil games since Resident Evil 4. While I always liked this kind of feature in every game it has become one of my most beloved features for games that are playable in glorious 3D Vision and Resident Evil games in particular!
Resident Evil 2 Remake's model viewer with Masterotaku's fix is the pinnacle in that regard so far. Since Resident Evil 3's graphics seem to further improve what was already stellar in Resident Evil 2's Remake I am totally hyped for the model viewer in RE3's Remake.

So far there was absolutely no information about the model viewer being in the game and I was starting to get a little bit nervous. But it seems some guys already found the specific parts in the demo's code. So the model viewer should definitely be in the game.

I encourage EVERYONE who plays the game in glorious 3D Vision (as soon as Masterotaku has blessed the game with his magic) to pay some attention to the model viewer!
Thanks master for fixing this game!!
I also am addicted to the model viewer and trying to accomplish all the challenges so to get more models.
What I love about them that you have Control over parallax and angles of the model - (and that opposed to the zoom in and out of inventory items which don’t change the parallax).
The model viewer adds so much fun and is a great 3D demonstration thanks to all the setting you can change. I wish I knew how to save a 3D photos of the model.
Someone knows?
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

guitarlickz wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:17 pmI wish I knew how to save a 3D photos of the model.
Someone knows?
The Nvidia hotkey that everyone should know at this point: alt+F1
But first I recommend setting the screenshots to PNS format, for maximum quality. You can use this (https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2015/10/a ... ation.html) or the 3D Fix Manager, I guess.
guitarlickz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by guitarlickz »

Thanks master, I’ll try that
stfparis17
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by stfparis17 »

Hello,
so I tested the demo with the fix, indeed the 3d vision works well.
But the decor all around has a blurry effect
Do I have to remove parameters?
windows 7 64 for info with driver 425.31
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

Perform the same steps as with the RE2 fix (it's the same game engine), so disable motion blur and TAA.
stfparis17
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by stfparis17 »

schwing wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:39 pm Perform the same steps as with the RE2 fix (it's the same game engine), so disable motion blur and TAA.
Thank you schwing
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

I had a couple hours with the full game. Here are my findings:
  • Major:
    • The game crashed where a helicopter first appears (about ten minutes in).
      • It happened after I alt+tabbed back in and ran forward to where the helicopter usually appears. I wasn't able to see it by the time the game crashed. No log, sorry.
      • It only crashed once, so maybe a single hash is causing it. I played in fullscreen if that helps, and it's not a cutscene.
      • The game saved the checkpoint right before that, so you won't lose any progress if you happen to get this.
  • Minor:
    • A mirror reflection is broken when the game transitions into third-person mode and thereafter.
      • It only happens in that place and you leave immediately anyway. Water reflections look fine, so it's not a persistent issue.
    • Smoke coming out of the right side of a cop car is 2D (right before the helicopter).
    • The lens flare of the helicopter's light is 2D. It's easier to see the second time you encounter the helicopter.
Overall the experience was really good and I'll keep an eye out for the crash in case it can be reproduced in a certain area.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”