20ft 3D holodeck for lifesize gaming user: please adv 3D65TV

gold
One Eyed Hopeful

20ft 3D holodeck for lifesize gaming user: please adv 3D65TV

Post by gold »

Hi I'm new here. I just discovered this forum and it made me very happy. I'm a huge fan of lifesize 3D gaming. Especially first or 3rd person games like Assassin's Creed. If you set the known height of the character in relation to your own height it is like you are inside the game.

I'll post some pics of my setup before asking for some advice.

i8700k stock
Asus Maximus X Apex stock
Galax GTX 1080Ti Stock
HDMI 2.0b
Epson 6700/3700 1080p Active RF 3D
Using Nvidia 425.31 and Helixmod on some games
Obviously 3D in 720p x 60Hz because of the HDMI 2.0 limitation

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

My favorite ever 3D game. Using Helixmod. The original version had some issues with 3D where at times it would dip FPS. I've not tried the Remaster in 3D yet.

Assassin's Creed

I love upscaling footage from 2D to 3D using something like Cyberlink PowerDVD. These cars look like little miniatures.

F1 onboards give a sense of depth.

And even geometrically simple movies like Tron 1982 look great upscaled to 3D. Sorry for the terrible pic.

And for fun, 3D Jacuzzi lol

So I have two questions I would really appreciate help with:

1. Question One.

I'm looking at a 65 inch or larger 3D TV to buy (secondhand probably as they are sold out).

I'd like the TV to be able to do:

-A good HDR (don't know which spec I need)
-3D
-atleast 120hz
-preferably not be curved
-preferably not plasma

From various forums I gathered that the best two 3DTV's to buy in 2020 are these 2 old models (I am also a little partial to LG and Samsung):

LG E6 -Passive 3D technology

Samsung HU7500 (last 3D model to not be curved unless I am mistaken) - Active 3D technology

Am I right or wrong?

My common sense tells me to get an active 3D TV as this way you will not lose half of the resolution (scanlines) and also there will be no polarising filter screen glued to the surface of the TV to make the image dimmer.

I already have 3D active glasses for the projector I use (Epson ELPGS03 and Xpand RF 105 (X105-RF-X1 so radio frequency version not infrared version). Ideally I'd like to be able to use these glasses with the TV. Unless you guys and gals say that passive is the way to go.

2. Question Two

Is it true that on a 4K 3D TV I will have to hack some things to get it working in Nvidia 3D (driver 425.31). As the 1080Ti only supports HDMI 2.0b, it will likely also suffer from the 1080p@24hz / 720@60hz bottleneck. So obviously since we don't game at 24hz I've always used the 720p@60hz option in the past.

I have no idea if Windows 10 and the Nvidia control panel on 425.31 will be able to run 720p on a 4K screen.

To be honest until now I've only run 3D on the HD1080p projector (downscaled to 720p@60hz) I've never run Nvidia 3D on a 4K tv.

Someone even said that the passive LG E6 runs 3 times faster on Nvidia 3D games becasue it passes the Nvidia 3D driver entirely as it's a passive screen. I didn't believe that as the game world has to be computer in 3D by Nvidia.

PS: I'm kind of a noob and know nothing about EDID, etc.
ToThePoint
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: 20ft 3D holodeck for lifesize gaming user: please adv 3D

Post by ToThePoint »

Hi there gold. Welcome to the forum.

First off, may I say that I'm no expert in emulating TV's to function as monitors, but perhaps these threads can at least point you in the right direction.

https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... 81&t=23437

https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 81&t=23495

https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 05&t=23500

A forum member called Joker18 knew more about this topic than most, so you could try google searching via his name. That and 'Nvida forums' as well perhaps.

I myself have a Sharp 3D TV that uses active technology, which pretty much excluded me from emulating it as a monitor. Passive technology LG OLEDs, turned out to be the preferred TV of choice for using EDIDs, although there are other passive 4K TVs that could also be tricked into being recognized as a monitor in 3D Vision. So in short, yes, you'll need to use an EDID successfully in order to use proper 3D Vision 2, as opposed to Nvidia's rather subpar 3D TV Play.

I'm not entirely sure that your 1080 Ti will necessarily be the bottleneck when it comes to throughput. However, please be aware that you will be asking a lot of a single 1080 Ti to produce a 4K image in 3D at playable frame rates in addition to also using higher in-game graphics settings.

I'm currently using 2 1080 Ti's, which I'm also looking to overclock at some point. Often they can and do outperform a single 2080 Ti when SLI scaling works correctly, and I'm gaming at 1440p with high to Max settings at 60fps and above. In my case, the bottleneck is my CPU, but then again even 9th gen chips will struggle with SLI.

If you stick around long enough, hopefully you'll get more informed assistance from someone who knows rather more about this subject than I do. It's fair to say that at present, it's every man for himself! Plenty of lurkers on here of course, but for the moment at least, there isn't anyone who's willing to spare the time any longer to have a semi-permanent presence on this forum in order to repeatedly answer people's queries, and I'm certainly not willing to volunteer either!

Anyway, I hope you're able to get something sorted out eventually. Nice pics btw.
Intel Core i7 6850k @ 3.6 Ghz (Liquid Cooled: Corsair Hydro H115i), 2x GTX 1080 Ti, HB SLI @ x16x16 (Air Cooled), GTX 1060 Dedicated PhysX, 32Gb RAM Kingston Predator
Asus X-99 Deluxe II Motherboard, Corsair Obsidian 1000D Super Tower, Win7 Pro (442.19), Win8.1 (441.66), Ubuntu, Rog Swift PG27VQ 3D (1440p), HTC Vive
Zappologist
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zappologist »

Get an LG passive OLED if you can. The visual quality is mind blowing, it has 4K and HDR. Ensure the 3D filter is properly fitted.

You won't game in 3D 4K, don't kid yourself.
Also forget about 120hz in TVs. 60hz only.
You'll have to get used to the slight video lag unavoidable in TV screens, but it goes quick.

You'll often be bothered by the need to decrease resolution to get acceptable performance, which unfortunately you cannot do since 3D requires the game to be rendered in native resolution (some games accept to be played in windowed mode with decent performance, but they are rare). Some games have "resolution scaling" in the options, so you need to use that at 50% at least. If this is unavailable, you must try the "upscaling" feature of the 3DMigoto wrapper.
The easy way out would be using the Side-by-Side/Top-Bottom modes of the wrapper, but for me it induces some horrible eye desync probably due to the TV lag, so you'll probably suffer the same.

Regarding EDID, I'm not sure it's needed anymore. I thought it was mandatory for this Passive OLED scenario, but last time I changed my drivers I was too lazy to bother with the EDID so I just changed the Display Type from "3D TV Play" to "HDMI Checkerboard" in NVCP and I don't see any difference (unless there is some Windows 10 shenanigans which somehow kept some of the previous EDID attributes in registry/hidden files etc. But I've never heard of this before, and I always use DDU to reinstall drivers, and this step usually removes all driver/video settings).

But just getting a good LG OLED passive is a huge challenge (65 inch no less, that will be expensive ... I have the 55 inch version) so best of luck with this. If you pull it off, you will enter a world of pure awesomeness, thanks to this lost Nvidia technology and the hard work and generosity of the people of this community.
Last edited by Zappologist on Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Suggest 2016 LG 65E6 or 65C6, if you can find one. See https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 81&t=23495 for more information. For best gaming performance, it really needs to be paired with 2080Ti GPU...
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
gold
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gold »

Thanks all, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I would never expect to 3D game at 4K.

I'd be happy at 1080, heck I'd even be happy if the 4K tv could downsample and work 3D at 720p@60hz.

This is what I am used to on the active 3D 1080p Projector using Nvidia 3Dtv. The projector is native 1080 so it has no trouble running full screen 720 when I want to 3D game.

I don't know much about Nvidia 3D Vision 2.

I looked at prices and at 65 inches or more the LG E6 is too much.

I think I'm gonna go for the active 65 inch Samsung HU7500. It's active like my projector so I will be able to use the glasses I already own and active already works with Nvidia.

I hope this tv can output 720p, or if not does anyone know a way to EDID a Samsung HU7500 so I can run 3D games at higher than a resolution of 720p (@60hz) and overcome the HDMI 2.0 protocol limitation?
ToThePoint
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ToThePoint »

gold wrote:Thanks all, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'd be happy at 1080, heck I'd even be happy if the 4K tv could downsample and work 3D at 720p@60hz.

This is what I am used to on the active 3D 1080p Projector using Nvidia 3Dtv. The projector is native 1080 so it has no trouble running full screen 720 when I want to 3D game.

I think I'm gonna go for the active 65 inch Samsung HU7500. It's active like my projector so I will be able to use the glasses I already own and active already works with Nvidia.

I hope this tv can output 720p, or if not does anyone know a way to EDID a Samsung HU7500 so I can run 3D games at higher than a resolution of 720p (@60hz) and overcome the HDMI 2.0 protocol limitation?
Did I really call 3D TV Play subpar? Oh dear. What I actually meant to type was, it's superb! My spelling's appalling. I've got 3DTV Play running happily enough on my active TV, using it's own active glasses. So I think your chances are good at getting a Samsung to output at 720p. You'd be very unlucky if it couldn't.

If I, and most likely many others could have gotten 3DTV Play to work at 60Hz @ 1080p back in the day, I'd imagine hardly any of us would have bought a monitor in the first place. Monitor manufactures would most likely have sued Nvidia into bankruptcy long before now.

Upon purchase of my then, new TV, I tried creating another resolution at 60Hz. Didn't work. That, and also being hampered by the limit on my HDMI cable, put me off messing around with my new purchase any further. In theory, there may be a way to EDID an active TV for 3DTV Play. I just don't know of one. Wish I did. Good luck though.
Intel Core i7 6850k @ 3.6 Ghz (Liquid Cooled: Corsair Hydro H115i), 2x GTX 1080 Ti, HB SLI @ x16x16 (Air Cooled), GTX 1060 Dedicated PhysX, 32Gb RAM Kingston Predator
Asus X-99 Deluxe II Motherboard, Corsair Obsidian 1000D Super Tower, Win7 Pro (442.19), Win8.1 (441.66), Ubuntu, Rog Swift PG27VQ 3D (1440p), HTC Vive
gold
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gold »

ToThePoint wrote:
gold wrote:Thanks all, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Did I really call 3D TV Play subpar? Oh dear. What I actually meant to type was, it's superb! My spelling's appalling. I've got 3DTV Play running happily enough on my active TV, using it's own active glasses. So I think your chances are good at getting a Samsung to output at 720p. You'd be very unlucky if it couldn't.

If I, and most likely many others could have gotten 3DTV Play to work at 60Hz @ 1080p back in the day, I'd imagine hardly any of us would have bought a monitor in the first place. Monitor manufactures would most likely have sued Nvidia into bankruptcy long before now.

Upon purchase of my then, new TV, I tried creating another resolution at 60Hz. Didn't work. That, and also being hampered by the limit on my HDMI cable, put me off messing around with my new purchase any further. In theory, there may be a way to EDID an active TV for 3DTV Play. I just don't know of one. Wish I did. Good luck though.
Yes, for me 65 inch + is the main motivation for this PC deskmonitor/display. If that means I'm stuck at 720p for 3D so be it.
guitarlickz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by guitarlickz »

Hey gold
I’m selling a new LG C6 65” or 55”.
You will be amazed when you will see the 3D quality. 4k in 60 fps with HDR.
Pm me if you’re interested
SamCarm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SamCarm »

Buying a new passive 3d tv is expensive when you can just connect 2 cheap projectors, and use a couple 3d glasses that they give out free at the theatre. One to see through and the other for each projector lens filter. Make sure it's projected onto a silver screen or metallic painted cloth so the polarized light does not scatter and reflects directly back. Then go to control panel in order to rig your PC to have 2 monitors so you can put a single VR movie (from youtube.com) with a display on each screen. Or you can start 2 separate movies at the same time on 2 DVD players. 3d animation programs like Blender are great for making 3d VR movies easily since there are not that many 3d lenses on the market yet.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”