Hello World!

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
PowerTool
One Eyed Hopeful

Hello World!

Post by PowerTool »

Hello!

I am new to the forum but have been following 3D for more years than I care to admit.

I started a very long time ago by researching how some people were using two monitors and cardboard to create a 3D experience. Yeah, that's real and it was caveman days.

Then I was thrilled to discover http://www.stereo3d.com -- for anyone that actually takes a look at that site you will note it's practically a museum, now. And yes, I tried the iGlasses. I got them working with Quake and Red Faction and returned them because I was looking for higher resolution and slightly more immersive 3D. By "immersive" I'm specifically referring to the difference between the iGlasses placing a 3D window out in in "front" of my eyes verses my "immersive" expectation of the optics being placed just inside the focal point (as with most of today's options--but I could be wrong on this as my experience is very limited).

I just discovered the Oculus Rift was a bit farther along than I initially thought and purchased one last week.

I cannot emphasize how disappointing the out-of-the-box experience was for me or the subsequent technical support. It's like they have planned to create the worst user experience possible.

I am not a black-box gamer. I eat black-box gamers for breakfast :twisted:

Oculus does not seem to understand the difference between the biggest division of gamers (PC vs. black-box). I am not happy with any part of the experience created by Oculus but I'll only go into that upon request. I'm only sharing this much to communicate my interest and experience.

I am very excited at having Quake working with my Oculus Rift.

I would really like to get more of my favorite games working starting with some older games. To name 2: Need For Speed: Most Wanted 2005, Red Faction (Pure Faction). I'll be continuing this in the appropriate forum areas :)

My gaming system:
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.00MHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 980
Samsung SyncMaster 275T
and now Oculus Rift!

Hilarious fact: My recently upgraded HTCP (complete new purchase, the old HTPC "gave up the ghost") has the GTX 1080 Ti which makes my HTPC a beefier system than my gaming box :shock:

I am very excited to be here and share my results to add data and value to the help forum.

Sincerely,

ThePowerTool
(FYI a fan of Tim "the tool man" Taylor)
nimatoed
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Hello World!

Post by nimatoed »

Hey PowerTool,

As someone who isn't a "black box gamer", you can use the Oculus Native SDK for Windows to hack Rift support into your favorite older PC games.

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/native-windows/
Emmawren
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Emmawren »

You are gamer a gamer should be so go a head.
ashr0077
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ashr0077 »

PowerTool wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:55 pm Hello!

I am new to the forum but have been following 3D for more years than I care to admit.

I started a very long time ago by researching how some people were using two monitors and cardboard to create a 3D experience. Yeah, that's real and it was caveman days.

Then I was thrilled to discover http://www.stereo3d.com -- for anyone that actually takes a look at that site you will note it's practically a museum, now. And yes, I tried the iGlasses. I got them working with Quake and Red Faction and returned them because I was looking for higher resolution and slightly more immersive 3D. By "immersive" I'm specifically referring to the difference between the iGlasses placing a 3D window out in in "front" of my eyes verses my "immersive" expectation of the optics being placed just inside the focal point (as with most of today's options--but I could be wrong on this as my experience is very limited).

I just discovered the Oculus Rift was a bit farther along than I initially thought and purchased one last week.

I cannot emphasize how disappointing the out-of-the-box experience was for me or the subsequent technical support. It's like they have planned to create the worst user experience possible.

I am not a black-box gamer. I eat black-box gamers for breakfast :twisted:

Oculus does not seem to understand the difference between the biggest division of gamers (PC vs. black-box). I am not happy with any part of the experience created by Oculus but I'll only go into that upon request. I'm only sharing this much to communicate my interest and experience.

I am very excited at having Quake working with my Oculus Rift.

I would really like to get more of my favorite games working starting with some older games. To name 2: Need For Speed: Most Wanted 2005, Red Faction (Pure Faction). I'll be continuing this in the appropriate forum areas :)

My gaming system:
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.00MHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 980
Samsung SyncMaster 275T
and now Oculus Rift!

Hilarious fact: My recently upgraded HTCP (complete new purchase, the old HTPC "gave up the ghost") has the GTX 1080 Ti which makes my HTPC a beefier system than my gaming box :shock:

I am very excited to be here and share my results to add data and value to the help forum.

Sincerely,

ThePowerTool
(FYI a fan of Tim "the tool man" Taylor)
hello
I am also new here i like you gaming collection also love games and i want to say try gta san andreas this game is amazing and have smooth control this game makes me happy
Connorx89
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Connorx89 »

I'm also new to the forum. Hello all.
kellyhubbard90
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kellyhubbard90 »

Hii everyone , My self Kelly Hubbard. I am from russia. How are you doing here? I am so curious to learn so many things about 3d games.
albert90
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by albert90 »

Welcome to all new members! I've only been around for about a month or so myself, but it's been great so far and I enjoy being on here. Hope you guys feel the same.
WhiteMage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WhiteMage »

albert90 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:10 pm Welcome to all new members! I've only been around for about a month or so myself, but it's been great so far and I enjoy being on here. Hope you guys feel the same.
ye. it gud
albert90
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by albert90 »

WhiteMage wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:07 am
albert90 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:10 pm Welcome to all new members! I've only been around for about a month or so myself, but it's been great so far and I enjoy being on here. Hope you guys feel the same.
ye. it gud
lol ok :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”