Fallout 4 crashes after launching the game

This forum is for the brand new Vireio Perception virtual reality drivers. History in the making!
Tannhäuser
One Eyed Hopeful

Fallout 4 crashes after launching the game

Post by Tannhäuser »

Hello Forum!

I don't get the new Vireio 4.0 Alpha to work with my Fallout 4 and my CV1. When I start VireioDLLInstaller.exe and point to the Fallout 4-directory (on drive E) no compatible game is found.
So I start the Fallout-Launcher, disabling some of the settings with the Bilago-Tool, starting Perception_x64.exe as an admin, choosing the Oculus-profile and then the game crashes immediately, even before the intro/menu pops up. At least it is noticeable that Vireio is trying to establish a connection with the Rift, as Oculus Home is opening up when I try this.

So what am I doing wrong here?

Tannhäuser
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Fallout 4 crashes after launching the game

Post by Neil »

We need specs. GPU, CPU, OS, SDK version.

Regards,
Neil
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

VireioDLLInstaller.exe is for the architecture prior to Vireio 4.0 Alpha. The previous versions needed you to copy the d3d9.dll in the game folder (or create simlinks with VireioDLLInstaller.exe). It's not necessary anymore because the dll injection is done in memory.

I you are on Steam, try to disable the Steam Overlay.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

EisernSchild
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi Tannhäuser !

Did you fully accomplish all the setup shown on the game profile window ? Did you deactivate steam overlay, Raptr, FRAPS and other tools ?

The Oculus profile is running fine here on any Pc of us, so we need additional info about what specifically happens at your place.
McThunder
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by McThunder »

I'm having the same issue. I've deactivated the specified graphical settings using the Bilago tweaker and disabled the Steam overlay.
I open the Fallout 4 launcher, then run Perception_x64.exe as administrator, then load the profile, and then launch the game. The boarder of the profile image turns green, but the game crashes immediately with "is not responding".

I don't have Raptr or FRAPS and am not running anything similar in the background. Also, the Oculus service does not launch when I run the game. Am I doing anything wrong?

My settings are:

Oculus DK2

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
CPU: Intel i7-4790
16gb of RAM
SDK version: Latest SDK and Runtime

EDIT:

Ah, I figured it out. My computer only has one HDMI output, so I was using a low res square monitor to launch Vireio and the game. The game was crashing even without Vireio, because of that monitor. The aspect ratio was off or something like that. I switched to a wide-screen monitor and now it works fine.

The game runs great...when indoors. I know this isn't the right thread, but is performance expected to improve with newer releases? Or is it time I buy a SSD lol
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi McThunder !

Thx for your input, great that it works indoors :-D

No, sorry, we couldn't find any other solution for open world games (Fallout 4, Just Cause 3 is even worse) than installing to SSD. After i installed to SSD the game runs fine, even outside.

Kind Regards, Denis
Tannhäuser
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tannhäuser »

It does work now. The Steam Overlay was the reason. Thanks for the help. Great work guys!
solarice
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by solarice »

Hi!

I'm experiencing the same problem as the OP trying to get fallout to start using CV1 with 1.4.0 runtime

I followed the same steps:

- used Bilago tweaker to disable AO, water reflections, DoF, radial blur, motion blur and decals
- disable all overlays in steam, shut down possible overlay apps i know of
- start fallout launcher from steam (using Bilago's launcher)
- run perception_x64.exe as admin
- load the Fallout4_Oculus_x64 profile
- hit Play in launcher..borders turn green, screen goes black
- Oculus Home App launches and briefly shows a black overlay on top of the 3d home scene, then fallout process ends and oculus app returns to Home.

I suspect there are some problems with the Oculus Home App and Vireio, since it seems to launch that home app whenever you put on the rift.
I did enable 'Unknown Sources - Allow apps that have not been reviewed by Oculus to run on my Rift' in the Oculus app settings

not sure what else to try, I logged the launch sequence using TraceSpy - the vireio logs get pretty mixed up with the Oculus Home App
I can send the trace if needed. one of the lines shows:
919 34,64660033 Fallout4 PxHelp: Error opening key HKCU\SOFTWARE\MTBS3D\VRBoost
920 34,64865560 Fallout4 StereoSplitter: No back buffer render target view present!

any clues what to try?

thanks for making Vireio it is awesome - used it many times on my DK1 ^^

@Tannhäuser - when fallout launches does it just interrupt the Oculus Home app or do you do anything before it launches?

specs:
Intel i5 3570k 3.4GHz
16gb ram
nvidia GTX 980
Windows 7 ultimate 64
Oculus Consumer Version 1
Oculus runtime 1.4.0
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi solarice !

In the support thread ( http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=178&t=21956 ) i could help user legotech25 via sending updated versions of the Oculus plugins, they have a delay included. Can you try them (replace in "//perception//bin//my nodes x64") ?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B ... file%2cdll
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B ... file%2cdll

Since we know that there can be some troubles at startup we will include this delay in future builds.

If still not working, yes, please send me the debug trace. The two lines you posted do not cause the crash.

Regards, Denis
solarice
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by solarice »

it's working with the delayed versions :) thanks Denis!

very awesome experience ^^

it can be a bit fiddly to make it start correctly, what worked for me was to start oculus home app, but not put on head set, then launch fallout with vireio running, put on headset to activate oculus home, then tab to fallout and wait a few seconds and oculus home will fade to the game.

there is some judder in the head tracking, even in interiors - i first thought it was a framerate issue, but moving forward is very smooth, only looking around seem to judder, enough to be disturbing for periods of time.
I experienced something similar in minecraft with DK1(also using vireio i believe), where moving would be silky smooth, but head rotation would stutter slightly.

i tried toggling Pose prediction (lshift+delete) but it seems the only Vireio shortcuts working for me is lctrl + q and f1/f2 to adust FOV's..not sure if things are just disabled for the alpha. or maybe i'm missing something.

still, skulking around the fallout world in VR is pretty amazing (and spooky lol) ^^

super nice work with the Vireio, been playing with it since DK1. even had some of the oldschool demoscene realtime demos run with it in VR! keep up the good work guys!
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Yes, i have the same judder on first test runs on HTC Vive (even worse here), currently working to support OpenVR. Oculus and SteamVR have timewarp and prediction model which obviously cause this judder. On Oculus SDK 0.8 it worked fine, we need to test out for both devices to see how to use VR-techniques like timewarp and prediction model to fully work with Vireio.

So, after finishing Vive support and the judder there i hope to also know what exactly happens on Oculus software.
solarice
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by solarice »

great :) good news that it worked fine in 0.8, so it should be fixable then.
hope it is not a problem with the oculus Home Store app, that thing is already getting a bit on the nerves lol

good luck with the Vive and OpenVR stuff, looking forward to future releases! cheers
kkkiwi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kkkiwi »

Hi all,

I'm getting the same problem with Fallout crashing after launching. Startup sequence:

- Start Fallout launcher
- Start perception_x64.exe
- Select the OSVR profile
- Hit play in launcher and Fallout application terminates

Core i5 4690K
EVGA GTX 980Ti
Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
SSD
SteamVR beta version 1464214428 May 25 '16
Vive

Any ideas? I'm using Revive btw.

EDIT: Sorry, been reading about the Occulus DRM debacle all day. I meant ReShade. ReShade with a SweetFX profile.
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi kkkiwi !

Did you try it without ReShade ? ReShade is injection software, so it basically does the same Vireio v4 does and can maybe interfere here. We never tested this.

For the next release we will also include the delay that fixed it for solarice for the OSVR nodes. If it does not work without ReShade i can send you updated dlls for OSVR to try that.

cheers
McThunder
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by McThunder »

So I've purchased an SSD and installed FO4 to it. When I run Vireio, the game runs fine, but no head tracking :(
Strangely, rolling left/right works, though it creates a strange blurred effect (and moves the skybox lol, though I know that's unresolved).

Any suggestions? My specs are up there ^ earlier in the thread.

Thanks
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi McThunder !

Unfortunately there was an update yesterday on Fallout 4 breaking the pointers for head and positional tracking. We'll fix that with the next build, please be patient !

The "blurred effect" is caused by "Depth of Field". Please turn that off using Bilago Fallout 4 Tweaker (or maybe your setting is lost).
StreetPreacher
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by StreetPreacher »

I was having the same problem with the game crashing every time I tried to launch it with Vireio injected.

Then I remembered that I had previously installed the Helixmod to fix the Nvidia 3DVision profile (http://helixmod.blogspot.ca/2015/11/fallout-4.html).

After uninstalling the Helixmod 3Dvision fix I was able to get Fallout 4 running on the Rift!

The only problem now is that the headtracking only seems to move the entire image around, rather than allowing me to control the POV. I haven't updated my Fallout 4 install in a while, but I'm having the same problem with both the Alpha 1 and the new Alpha 2..

Any ideas?
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi !

Our game profiles always match the latest version of the game, please update to make headtracking work !
XIE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by XIE »

Tril wrote:VireioDLLInstaller.exe is for the architecture prior to Vireio 4.0 Alpha. The previous versions needed you to copy the d3d9.dll in the game folder (or create simlinks with VireioDLLInstaller.exe). It's not necessary anymore because the dll injection is done in memory.
To Admin:
I you are on Steam, try to disable the Steam Overlay.
I also was confused by perception_2016_06_04_v4_alpha_release_2.zip\Perception\instructions\OpenVR\OpenVR_Instructions.txt
and perception_2016_06_04_v4_alpha_release_2.zip\Perception\instructions\Vireio Perception Live Manual.url
OLD steps above are for v3 and v2 release?
all such documents is never mentioned about v4.0 alpha2 installation method, So I suggestion you should not including in v4 release packet since mis-leading risk.

also,I can not see any up to date instructions topics in v4.x forum here. hope to see for beginner like me.
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi XIE !

You're absolutely right, this must be very confusing for beginners ! The latest releases were just demonstrations of the new architecture, we will overwork the whole manual section for the eventual release of Vireio v4.

Kind Regards, Denis
gb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gb »

Hi,
Can I start fallout on SteamVR/Vive without controller?
I have seen video and only way to do it with controller is described.
I tried it anyway but after starting, nothing happens. I guess it crashes quetly...

Thanks.
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi gb !

You can start FO4 without controller, for sure, for roomscale you will effectively need one, for a seated experience you can play with Mouse/Keyboard.

Did you follow the guidelines in the new Alpha 3 manual ? And did you read the section troubleshooting in there ?

If nothing helps please try any other game profile first. If you have no game from the "cfg_v4//profiles.xml" list installed please add any DX11 game to this list and test it.

Regards, Denis
gb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gb »

Hi Denis,
Thanks for reply!
Yes, I am sure that I have followed but one can easily make mistake.
I just tried Just Cause 3.

1. In manual there is step to copy openvr_api.dll from //Steam//SteamApps//common//bin to game folder.
I did not find such folder but I fould //Steam//SteamApps//common//SteamVR//bin//win64
I guess you missed SteamVR folder in SteamApps

2. I disabled two checkmarks in steam game properties: Steam Overlay and Use Desktop Theme when SteamVR is active.

3. I copied it to steamapps\common\Just Cause 3
there was no such file in JC3 folder but I think its fine.

4. Then I started SteamVR and I could see empty virtual room.

5. Started Perception_x64, selected OpenVR and Just Cause 3 and pressed rectangle.

6. Then I started Just Cause 3 from Steam.

Then I could see only that virtual room was black what was rather unusual and I could see only rectangle of my game area but nothing more.
The game started as usual fullscreen (i changed to windowed) and as initiated game play it was still in window.

I have geforce experience and I killed all processes prior.

I appreciate your help,
Greg

ps. I would be also very iterested how to start steam ui in virtual room with mouse and see the vive controller through Vireio so I would appreciate a direction here.

EisernSchild wrote:Hi gb !

You can start FO4 without controller, for sure, for roomscale you will effectively need one, for a seated experience you can play with Mouse/Keyboard.

Did you follow the guidelines in the new Alpha 3 manual ? And did you read the section troubleshooting in there ?

If nothing helps please try any other game profile first. If you have no game from the "cfg_v4//profiles.xml" list installed please add any DX11 game to this list and test it.

Regards, Denis
gb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gb »

Hi,
I double check troubleshooting section and all is fine.

I changed order so I first start game and then perception and put 10 mins delay.
when game starts and is ready to play i run perception and press button on Just Cause 3 profile.
then after 10 seconds seems like something starting to happens and game crashes...

Please let me know if I can provide any logs or something to troubleshoot.
Thanks.
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi Greg !

Ok, i tested again and can confirm "Just Cause 3" to work here on my PC. I created a new thread in the "Game Support" section here:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=22124

I also attached my TraceSpy log trace. Please delete the delay again and try it once more having TraceSpy running, then compare to my TraceSpy log trace in the thread to yours !
Shadowkin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shadowkin »

AMD FX-8150
Nvidia GTX 980
Windows 10 Enterprise
SSD
SteamVR Version 1473196558 Set 6, 2016
Vive

openvr_api.dll is coppied to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout 4
Bilage disabled Ambient Occlusion, DoF, Radial Blur, Water Reflections, Decals and saved profile. Checked this each time and it seems to be keeping it's setting.
Steam overlay is disabled as is Desktop Game Theatre

start SteamVR
run Perception_x64 as admin
open Fo4
click profile button (set to Fo4 and OpenVR)
click play

Fallout opens and immediately freezes.
SteamVR shows (unresponsive)
Fallout shows (Not Responding) in task manager (though CPU use continues to fluctuate)

I've tried tweaking the time_delay setting in the profiles.xml
Currently it looks like this
<profile game_name="Fallout 4" game_exe="Fallout4.exe" cpu_architecture="64bit" dx_version="11" profile_path="..\\game_profiles\\HMD\\x64\\FullImmersive\\Fallout4.aqup" image_url="" time_delay="2000"/>

Originally I set it to 10000, and then the game would launch, but only on the desktop, not in the HMD.
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hmm... we never encountered freezing here. Time delay is a good idea. You tried 2000 and 10000 ms and it never worked ?

Can you tell me which other processes run in background ?

Another possible reason is the Bethesda update from 29.10.. I'll check today later.
Shadowkin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shadowkin »

after posting above, I tried a clean boot (ms config to disable non-ms services and task manager to disable startup items) and got the same result. 10000 lets the game launch, but only on the desktop, not in the headset.

5000 on the time delay seems to be the cutover. 5000 or less locks it up. More doesn't display in the headset.

I'll also note that when it locks up, the view in the headset locks (ie, it tilts/moves with me)
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Ok... can you try any other DX11 game using the mono cinema profile to let us see wether this works ? (in the //perception//cfg_v4//profiles.xml list there are some example games listed)

By saying the headset locks do you mean the SteamVR view locks or do you mean the Vireio Cinema view locks ?

(Thx for helping us improve Virieo)
Shadowkin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shadowkin »

Been really busy the last couple weeks.
The Vireio Cinema view locks.
To explain further, I get the frozen loading screen for FO4, and no matter where I look, it remains exactly centered in my view.

Installing Banished now to test. Will come back with results.
Shadowkin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shadowkin »

Banished gives me "A fatal access violation has occurred in Aquilinus_x64.dll and the game cannot continue"
Hstreet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hstreet »

I'm getting a similar crash -
I've copied over the openvr_api.dll from the x64 directory to Fallout 4
Set all the tweak settings

Start Vireo Perception x64
Start Fallout 4 Launch App
Start Perception Fallout 4 OpenVR Profile
Hit play on Fallout 4 and it loads up.. get spinning logo and then crash

if I start the Profile and then Fallout 4 it loads but I get nothing on the HMD
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Ok.... in both cases please send me a TraceSpy record. And please try to add any other of your DX11 games to the profiles list to test them using the standard mono cinema profile so we can see wether it is a FO4-profile issue or a general issue on your PCs.
Gamerking122
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gamerking122 »

im having the same problem must be the update
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: NIVIDIA GTX 1080
RAM:16 GB HYPER X FURY DDR4 RAM
DISPLAY: ACER PREDATOR XB241H 24IN 144Hz G-SYNC GAMING MONITOR
HMD: HP WIN MIXED REALITY THOUGH STEAM VR
GAME:FALLOUT 4

Return to “Vireio Perception 4.X”