The Long Dark

Case by case Vireio Perception game support discussion. One thread per game!
ghettocat2007
Two Eyed Hopeful

The Long Dark

Post by ghettocat2007 »

The Long Dark

Hi guys I would love to see some support for The Long Dark. The game is an open world survival RPG. with a slight cell shaded flair to it. The game looks as though it would be perfectly suited to VR. I would love to experience the world as though I was there.

Initially I doubted the ability of injection drivers after trying vorpx. BUT under recommendation I tried the VP drivers with Skyrim and I have to say I am super impressed with the results I am still in awe.I have already uploaded 3 youtube videos in 2 days to show off the 2.1 drivers. I have also just downloaded 2.1.2 to see what's what.

I now believe.

I cant Thank you enough and will be making a donation to show gratitude.

Skyrim's support completely blew me away and and taken away the negativity that often flows when VR enthusiasts speak about injection drivers.

Keep up the fantastic work. I regret buying Vorpx I wish I had given the money to the Devs of VP.

Check out THE LONG DARK on steam if you think you can do something with it I will buy you a steam key if you want a crack at it so that you can do what you do?

Regards

Wayne
DrBeef
Vireio Perception Developer

Re: The Long Dark

Post by DrBeef »

Wow!, thanks Wayne, nice to get such positive feedback.

I've had a look at The Long Dark, it looks great and I think would be a great fit for VR, however I notice it is still in early access as it is just an Alpha at this point. That could be problematic as it would be receiving updates and changes which could very easily break the Vireio support. Once it becomes more stable then it will definitely be worth taking a look.. at that point I might take you up on the offer of steam credit :)

I would also advise taking a look at Bioshock 2 or Borderlands in Vireio, both of them I would say are about as close to a VR Native title as you could get using an injection driver.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I was pleasantly surprised how nice Bioshock 2 looked on the driver. It really was an awesome experience, at least probably as good as non-native could be.
ghettocat2007
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ghettocat2007 »

Thank you for the response.

That makes perfect sense I tried Borderlands and started a game with a mate that also loves your drivers we were both in DK2's in an open world it was an amazing experience!!!

This may sound like a stupid question ... But where is the donate button? I have £30 ready

It might be worth making the donate button bigger or obvious to find?

You are most welcome for the feedback and deserve it!! I wish I could give more

I intend to cover a lot of your supported games and provide tutorials on set up and showcase supported games

The 6 newest vids at the top are all vireio related if you are interested in my coverage?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh_2BI ... m4Q/videos

Have an awesome day
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Hi GhettoCat,

Great job on the videos. Just watching through your Borderlands one. Its my personal favourite with VP. Just a couple of hints:

1) You can press the Shift + R at any point (before you are properly in game as this only takes a reading of your initial head position) and will get rid of the initial message.

2) When in game and you are running the VR boost scan (Numpad 5), continually move your head around a bit (I usually just do reasonably tight circles). I noticed the fail first time and this was because you were too still. The scanner checks that the addresses it thinks are orientation are changing so if they haven't it may fail (as it did for you first time). You will notice in the video, the second time you are moving your head / mouse a bit more hence it worked. This is common for all games that use this scanner.

3) I also noticed you found the guns a bit uncomfortable. In VR Boost settings try the PlayerFOV. The larger the number the further away and smaller the gun will appear

4) I didnt see you using disconnected screen view at all. This is by default mapped to middle mouse click but you can also map it to something else. If playing with a xbox controller I usually map it to one of the stick clicks (if they are not something important). You can map this in the overall settings section in the brassa menu. This helps when reading the mission screens because then you can lean in to read the menu and headtrack around the screen.

Keep up the great work and glad you are getting the most out of VP. Simon and I are keen to get a donate button up and running but have been waiting for an official word from MTBS3D on how this is best handled and is inkeeping with the spirit of the project (being open source).
ghettocat2007
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ghettocat2007 »

Thanks BaggyG

Some really good tips there thank you. I May up the FOV just a bit. I found that the menus were perfectly readable but will try disconnected screen to see whats what.

With regards to the Donate Button subject. I would probably go with something like "This project will always be open source and freely available, If you would like to support the project and speed up continuous improvements feel free to donate" Or something to that effect?

That way nobody is forced into anything. I know that there must be a lot of people that would want to support you guys.

Its like just a small way of saying thank you for all the efffort. Actually being able to visit my favourite games and feel like I am really there is so awesome and crazy!! It has given me so much.

I could hardly sleep after the first time I tried SKYRIM. With a few immersion mods loaded it's up there with the best VR ever. Borderlands with Multi player capabilities is amazing I will try to get SweetFX running as well :)

Stay tuned for more vireio youtube show cases :) Thank you for the feedback as well!!

Best Regards!!
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

We are going to try to set up some sort of steam wallet system for donations hopefully. That is the most pragmatic use and allows the devs Simon and I to be able to purchase games that people ask support for, if we don't already have them. The long dark was already on my wish list but not picked it up as yet. It looks pretty cool. Its a unity game, which generally look good on VP but the last Unity game I tried (Sir you are being hunted) did not allow access to the shader descriptions (which prevented us from adding 3D support). I am not sure if this is the case of all Unity games. Hopefully not. I have added it to the request list in the manual https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TYp ... 2Pqry6rgQw
ghettocat2007
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ghettocat2007 »

Thank you very much!!! fingers crossed :)

Regarding the steam wallet I think that's a really good idea. I guess that way people know that 100% of funds donated goes towards development.

good shout !!.

I look forward to seeing how its implemented. I have never done the wallet thing. I usually buy Steam keys off ebay for a little bit cheaper unless the sales are on ... Steam do great sales, at christmas skyrim was £3.50? fallout NV WAS £2.50 I tend to go crazy when those sales drop :)

Thanks again!

Return to “Game Support”