Vireio Perception 2.0.4 Alpha 2 (09/10/14)

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Vireio Perception 2.0.4 Alpha 2 (09/10/14)

Post by Neil »

First positional tracking driver release!

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... =20&cid=43

Share your results below.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Re: Vireio Perception 2.0.4 Alpha 2 (09/10/14)

Post by cybereality »

I had high hopes, but there were lots of problems. L4D was giving me double injection (4 views). The strange part is that it worked correctly when opening on the monitor, but once I switched the DK2 to primary, then it became 4 views (double side-by-side). The skybox also had strange artifacts. Mirror's Edge failed to inject at all. Skyrim technically "worked" but there were major anomalies with the shadows, smoke, etc, that rendered it unplayable.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Check the L4D folder. Did you copy the Vireio DLL files there? We were wondering if that's a potential cause of the double injection.

It's a nightly alpha! Patience! :D

Regards,
Neil
linksys17
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by linksys17 »

For some reason I do not get orientation tracking in skyrim only positional tracking.
The 3d looks great and I would love to test it some more but it is too nauseating without orientation tracking.
i have 0.4.2 runtime and 2.12 FW for dk2 so I do not know whats going on

I tried batman arkham asylum and that worked with only orientation tracking which is fine considering its in third person

I also tried bioshock infinite and could not get it to hook no matter what I did. (I also made sure to put the .dll's in the executable's directory as advised in the documentation)
DrBeef
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by DrBeef »

Sounds familiar, positional and orientation tracking are two separate mechanisms. Please make sure that in the Rift Display Mode utility you have un-checked the "legacy mode" tickbox. Since this build is against 0.4.2 I found that orientation tracking didn't work for me with legacy mode enabled.

I hope that helps!
linksys17
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by linksys17 »

after some more tests with skyrim I concluded that the orientation tracking only works along the z axis.
I can only roll, no pitch or yaw tracking :(
linksys17
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by linksys17 »

DrBeef wrote:Sounds familiar, positional and orientation tracking are two separate mechanisms. Please make sure that in the Rift Display Mode utility you have un-checked the "legacy mode" tickbox. Since this build is against 0.4.2 I found that orientation tracking didn't work for me with legacy mode enabled.

I hope that helps!
I tried turning of legacy app support and still only roll tracking :(
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Have you tried with an older version of Vireio?, what results does 2.0.3 give you?

Bioshock Infinite uses DirectX 11, and isn't supported by Vireio.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

cybereality wrote:I had high hopes, but there were lots of problems. L4D was giving me double injection (4 views). The strange part is that it worked correctly when opening on the monitor, but once I switched the DK2 to primary, then it became 4 views (double side-by-side). The skybox also had strange artifacts. Mirror's Edge failed to inject at all. Skyrim technically "worked" but there were major anomalies with the shadows, smoke, etc, that rendered it unplayable.
I'll try to figure out what your double injection issue is.. you've checked that you don't have an old copy of the Vireio DLLs in the L4D folder?, I've not had it double inject when using the rift but not a monitor before, so something odd is going on.

Mirror's Edge - I've only ever had the work by copying the Vireio DLLs to the game folder. However last time I tried it it didn't look very good, I'm not sure that this one is properly support in version 2 (it used to work in 1).

Can you elaborate on the shadows issue in Skyrim?, I used to have awful shadow artifacts until I turned on NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D (but didn't have it active).
linksys17
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by linksys17 »

DrBeef wrote:Have you tried with an older version of Vireio?, what results does 2.0.3 give you?

Bioshock Infinite uses DirectX 11, and isn't supported by Vireio.
Just tried 2.0.3 and I get no headtracking at all
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

linksys17 wrote:Just tried 2.0.3 and I get no headtracking at all
Something strange is going on. Any chance you could download and run TraceSpy (ensure it is capturing) then start a game (skyrim is probably easiest) and get in game, experience the lack of tracking, and then exit, stop capture in TraceSpy and then share the results?

Finally, have you changed any other settings in the BRASSA menu? such as setting the yaw/pitch/roll scaling values to 0?
linksys17
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by linksys17 »

DrBeef wrote:
Something strange is going on. Any chance you could download and run TraceSpy (ensure it is capturing) then start a game (skyrim is probably easiest) and get in game, experience the lack of tracking, and then exit, stop capture in TraceSpy and then share the results?

Finally, have you changed any other settings in the BRASSA menu? such as setting the yaw/pitch/roll scaling values to 0?
ran trace spy how do I export the recording?
linksys17
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by linksys17 »

DrBeef wrote:

NM i got it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

This is a typical example of VR Boost not working: See my Skyrim Launch Guide here, including notes on VR Boost.

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... ositional/
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

cybereality wrote:I had high hopes, but there were lots of problems. L4D was giving me double injection (4 views). The strange part is that it worked correctly when opening on the monitor, but once I switched the DK2 to primary, then it became 4 views (double side-by-side). The skybox also had strange artifacts. Mirror's Edge failed to inject at all. Skyrim technically "worked" but there were major anomalies with the shadows, smoke, etc, that rendered it unplayable.
Agree with Neil's comments about double injection. You dont need Rift as primary when playing L4D. Win key + Left / Right easily moves it across displays.

Left 4 Dead skybox is a known issue and not really anything to do with positional.

You should have shadows turned off in Skyrim via the Userprefs.ini settings.
ad2003
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ad2003 »

For me Skyrim works almost perfectly. Leaning is a bit off, but I think it's just a little bit of adjustment needed. The overall result is already amazing. Thanks for your hard work guys!
AD
M0RT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by M0RT »

Still trying to get Borderlands working.

Previously (2.03) I had the game working in 3D (but not head tracking at all) without Perception.exe running. Running the exe at the same time as the game caused a crash.

Now (2.04 Alpha 2) with Perception.exe running. The game loads, head positioning tracking (roll only) appears to work in the menu screen. However when I start a single player game it crashes after the loading screen. All graphics settings set to low except the res set to match the rift.

Bruce
linksys17
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by linksys17 »

I wouid like to request a custom vr boost profile for my machine, how do I do this? thanks
linksys17
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by linksys17 »

Ok i reinstalled vanilla skyrim and now VR boost works.
I have to say guys the performance, head tracking and depth is much better for Skyrim on Vireio than VorpX (I still have high hopes for VorpX because they currently have dx11 support)
Bravo!! I can't believe you guys supply this driver at no cost you guys are truly wonderful. Thanks to all on the Vireio team!!!
Neil

Post by Neil »

I've been thinking about the problem where orientational tracking isn't being detected. The DK1 support is buggy because the HMD needs to be manually reset with the Oculus SDK every so often. Is it possible that DK2 orientational support is facing the same challenge?

Regards,
Neil
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Borderlands
========

Unfortunately, the Borderlands binary was updated a little while ago http://steamcommunity.com/games/8980/an ... 6787509775, because of this, the memory modification approach that VRBoost uses was broken, and in Borderlands' case it causes a crash. It's a known issue and when there's enough time to dedicate to it, a new VRBoost profile should be created.

Orientation Tracking
=============

It looks like in the majority of cases it's a VRBoost problem that is preventing the orientation tracking from working correctly. I'm in the process of adding greater status/error notifications from the tracker visible in the rift so it should be easier to see what might be causing certain issues and hopefully make it easier to rectify. I'll also make it so that if orientation isn't working, positional won't work either, otherwise I can imagine it is quite an uncomfortable viewing experience.

Not actually having a DK2 myself yet, it's a fair bit of guess work to get most of this working naturally..
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Neil wrote:I've been thinking about the problem where orientational tracking isn't being detected. The DK1 support is buggy because the HMD needs to be manually reset with the Oculus SDK every so often. Is it possible that DK2 orientational support is facing the same challenge?

Regards,
Neil
No, this is a VR Boost issue. Connecting with the DK2 seems fine and not seen any problems (apart from when the user hasn't updated to the latest SDK and updated firmware)
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Thinking about the 4 view one, are you sure you didn't have a virtual desktop running?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

No, I don't use virtual desktop. It was also a fresh install of L4D, but I checked the folder for DLLs anyway and came up empty. The strange part is that its only 4 views when the Rift is the primary display. If everything else is the same, but I make the monitor the primary, then it opens up with 2 views like I want. Except the video in on the monitor and not the Rift (obviously not what I want).
M0RT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by M0RT »

Borderlands
========

Unfortunately, the Borderlands binary was updated a little while ago http://steamcommunity.com/games/8980/an ... 6787509775, because of this, the memory modification approach that VRBoost uses was broken, and in Borderlands' case it causes a crash. It's a known issue and when there's enough time to dedicate to it, a new VRBoost profile should be created.
Thanks for the explanation.

I don't suppose anyone has tried the new driver with Rise Of Flight yet?
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

cybereality wrote:No, I don't use virtual desktop. It was also a fresh install of L4D, but I checked the folder for DLLs anyway and came up empty. The strange part is that its only 4 views when the Rift is the primary display. If everything else is the same, but I make the monitor the primary, then it opens up with 2 views like I want. Except the video in on the monitor and not the Rift (obviously not what I want).
I will try primary here. I run Left 4 Dead in borderless window mode with the rift secondary and then WIn + Left the display over. Give that a go.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”