competitive fps IMU / controller

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
Dimi
One Eyed Hopeful

competitive fps IMU / controller

Post by Dimi »

Hello FreePIE community!
First of all I would like to apologize for my English :)
Before I start with my question I would like to show you my idea.
I am a competitively gaming Counter-Strike Global Offensive player but this doesn’t matters really, in fact you can replace Cs with any fps I just want to say that accuracy / precision / latency is a big point in this project because if you want to play constant and with improvements you need to build up muscle memory and u can’t do that if your hardware is reacting every time in a different way.
Recently I watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p2AkER0E1A .
The big problem in my eyes with this constellation is, that you are aiming with the oculus rift but what you really want to do is to aim with the gun. In reality you are aiming with a straight sight of your eyes following the weapon and for small adjustments you are moving your arms and eyes not your complete head. This should add a lot more precision / control using your weapon / controller to aim and use the oculus rift just as a display.

My idea:
So my idea is to install wired buttons on a fake / toy gun and installing an IMU to this gun, this is where I need your help.
I am searching for an IMU covering the following priorities:

- Low latency / high frequency (of course USB connected, my mouse for example is running at a polling rate of 500Hz)
- High accuracy / precision (it would be great to turn ‘exactly’ 360° in game if I turn 360° with my gun / controller)
- Stable aim (the crosshair has to stand still if I am not moving the controller)

Points with minor priority:

- Dimensions (This Unit will be placed somewhere on a ‘big’ weapon so it is not that important to have a small IMU like you have to install in cellphones)

Sorry for this long post my intention was to give you a better view of what I am planning to do.
So in a nutshell I am searching for a good / up to date IMU.
If you can think of a better way to do all this using something else than an IMU, I would be glad if you could tell me.
NoxWings
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: competitive fps IMU / controller

Post by NoxWings »

Dimi wrote:Hello FreePIE community!
First of all I would like to apologize for my English :)
Before I start with my question I would like to show you my idea.
I am a competitively gaming Counter-Strike Global Offensive player but this doesn’t matters really, in fact you can replace Cs with any fps I just want to say that accuracy / precision / latency is a big point in this project because if you want to play constant and with improvements you need to build up muscle memory and u can’t do that if your hardware is reacting every time in a different way.
Recently I watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p2AkER0E1A .
The big problem in my eyes with this constellation is, that you are aiming with the oculus rift but what you really want to do is to aim with the gun. In reality you are aiming with a straight sight of your eyes following the weapon and for small adjustments you are moving your arms and eyes not your complete head. This should add a lot more precision / control using your weapon / controller to aim and use the oculus rift just as a display.

My idea:
So my idea is to install wired buttons on a fake / toy gun and installing an IMU to this gun, this is where I need your help.
I am searching for an IMU covering the following priorities:

- Low latency / high frequency (of course USB connected, my mouse for example is running at a polling rate of 500Hz)
- High accuracy / precision (it would be great to turn ‘exactly’ 360° in game if I turn 360° with my gun / controller)
- Stable aim (the crosshair has to stand still if I am not moving the controller)

Points with minor priority:

- Dimensions (This Unit will be placed somewhere on a ‘big’ weapon so it is not that important to have a small IMU like you have to install in cellphones)

Sorry for this long post my intention was to give you a better view of what I am planning to do.
So in a nutshell I am searching for a good / up to date IMU.
If you can think of a better way to do all this using something else than an IMU, I would be glad if you could tell me.
I'm sorry but I think none of the IMU solutions are adequate yet for professional gaming. These solutions are all higher latency and less precision even (if they are not tethered) than a gaming mouse that can run up to 500hz or even 1000hz. Most of these devices tend to have some drift issues that sometimes can be corrected with sofware and sophisticated fusion algorithms but at least the ones I've tested eliminate drift in small steps so they can't always guarantee a exact 1:1 aim.

Anyways even if you managed to get the propper IMU, I don't CS is ready to take it, you will have to turn your entire view using the gun because CS was not made for VR so I don't think there is a possibility to have separated head looking and weapon aim.

I think this kind of things are more "for the fun" and immersive experiences.
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

Post by konstantin_lozev »

yeah, drift is the major problem...
NeoTokyo_Nori
Cross Eyed!

Post by NeoTokyo_Nori »

I have been working on a gun solution that addresses most of the same issues that you have raised.
and I hope to complete it in the next couple of months.
It is not going to be "perfect" because that is not yet technically feasible without high costs,
but I intend it to be good enough to be usable in game.

However, I doubt that a player using a physical gun controller, is going to be "competitive" against a
mouse and keyboard player. Simply because a finger on a mouse and keyboard can make moves that are
completely impossible with a human body using its arms to move a gun, and so forth.

;)
Dimi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dimi »

Thanks for the fast response, too bad that my intention is not realizable. Anyways I'm optimistic for the future of the vr-technology :)

- Dimi
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

You wont be as fast, but I think you can get more accurate if the hardware is good enough, it will be so fun to try out STEM when it comes out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWxiURvaJe4
NeoTokyo_Nori
Cross Eyed!

Post by NeoTokyo_Nori »

CyberVillain wrote:You wont be as fast, but I think you can get more accurate if the hardware is good enough, it will be so fun to try out STEM when it comes out.
The A/C electromagnetic field tracking does appear to work very well.

But if so, I wonder why they are the only ones that are using this method :?:
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Nice STEM video. Hadn't seen that one before.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

cybereality wrote:Nice STEM video. Hadn't seen that one before.
Its the video that sold the System to me.
One thing that I hope that game devs understand is that how they implement Stereovision will be very important with aiming mechanics like this.

For example, if you are aiming down a scope (1x red dot or rifle scope doesnt matter) the scope sight shouldnt render in both it should render in one eye only, the other one should render the side of the scope.

Also for iron sights they should black out your none primary eye, why? Because its not pleasant to shut and eye inside a HMD i have noticed. The ski mask frame makes it hard and it moves the image around. Also there should be a configure in OVR config tool which eye is your primary eye.

If you have both eyes open and hold up your index finger, try to look straight at it . Close each eye, one of your eyes will be looking directly at the finger. That eye is your primary eye and should be the eye you use for iron sight aiming (And also scope aiming but if you like me are right handed and your left eye is your primary eye you wont be able to use your primary eye for scoped aiming)
NeoTokyo_Nori
Cross Eyed!

Post by NeoTokyo_Nori »

CyberVillain wrote: One thing that I hope that game devs understand is that how they implement Stereovision will be very important with aiming mechanics like this.

For example, if you are aiming down a scope (1x red dot or rifle scope doesnt matter) the scope sight shouldnt render in both it should render in one eye only, the other one should render the side of the scope.

Also for iron sights they should black out your none primary eye, why? Because its not pleasant to shut and eye inside a HMD i have noticed. The ski mask frame makes it hard and it moves the image around. Also there should be a configure in OVR config tool which eye is your primary eye.
That is a very good point. I hadnt thought about it much yet, but its so important,
maybe it should be in the vr best practices manual ! > Hello CyberReality! ;)

Being able to aim just like you would aim with a real gun, is an experience vr could offer
that is far superior to "mouse on a monitor" aiming : P

Although I am not understanding what you mean by
" its not pleasant to shut and eye inside a HMD i have noticed. The ski mask frame makes it hard and it moves the image around. "
Last edited by NeoTokyo_Nori on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Maybe its just me, but when I close an eye while wearing the HMD the muscles makes the HDM move and thus the image. A way of dealing with this would be to let the game black out the none primary eye when looking through a iron sight
NeoTokyo_Nori
Cross Eyed!

Post by NeoTokyo_Nori »

CyberVillain wrote:Maybe its just me, but when I close an eye while wearing the HMD the muscles makes the HDM move and thus the image. A way of dealing with this would be to let the game black out the none primary eye when looking through a iron sight
I see ! (no pun)
yeah, Im sure it must be the same for many human faces.

Return to “FreePIE”