Nexus7 HMD

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
D4N13L
One Eyed Hopeful

Nexus7 HMD

Post by D4N13L »

I just bought myself a Nexus7 tablet the other day and immediately started thinking about cooking up a head mount for it. Had a few hours of peace at work and made this. It´s Cable ducts, foam and elastic bands with a few extra bits and bobs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cosmonautdave
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Nexus7 HMD

Post by cosmonautdave »

Do you mind sharing which lenses you used? I have a Nexus 7 as well and, after experimenting with some Google Cardboard type lenses (45mm focal distance) they don't seem to fit the larger screen well. So I'm looking for a recommendation for something that works well with the 7" size.
D4N13L
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Nexus7 HMD

Post by D4N13L »

cosmonautdave wrote:Do you mind sharing which lenses you used? I have a Nexus 7 as well and, after experimenting with some Google Cardboard type lenses (45mm focal distance) they don't seem to fit the larger screen well. So I'm looking for a recommendation for something that works well with the 7" size.
Hi Cosmonautdave.

Sorry for the delayed response.
The lenses I use are 2" 5x aspheric glass lenses I got from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-pocket-loupe ... 3a79987a19

The image quality is very good but in order for the images to align properly the lenses need to be adjustable. That is important both with regard to IPD and the relative center of each half on the screen. By relative center I mean that video is typically displayed with no overlap and needs more offset between the lenses while videogames do have varying overlap and thus require less offset between the lenses.

I hope this was helpful :)

Return to “Do it Yourself!”