Vuzix Wrap VR 1200DX vs Wrap 920 first impressions

Discussion of tools and products that add VR physicality. Samples include VR treadmills, special hand controllers, gesture technology and more.
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Vuzix Wrap VR 1200DX vs Wrap 920 first impressions

Post by metronome »

Hey,

Just got my new Vuzix glasses delivered today and I have tried them on for about 5 minutes, but OMG! the difference between the two pairs is amazing... it's like wearing the grand daddy of VR

Playing Watchdogs

Nvidia stereoscopic drivers just work... 3D kicks in automatically and windows detetcs its 3D capable hardware (I'm using a 760gtx)

They feel very comfortable
They do feel more immersive and less like a viewer, although I mean it feels more immersive in the sense of I feel like I have a big TV infront of me kind of feel instead of feeling im in the game...

The picture between the eyes is better stitched together it feels like one big screen where as the 920's kind of felt like you were peering through two close but ever so slightly out of focus screens...

The picture is notically sharper compared to VGA
Being able to accept native 1080p signal is a win, I don't have to mess around with my settings!

The light sheild makes a very big difference it definatly blocks the rest of the world out...

The built in rechargeable battery pack is a big win but it is heavy on your glasses if you dont support it...

In short if you have tried the other Wraps or VR920's the difference is Huge! They aren't just an iterative slightly higher resolution with hdmi they are a new completely different beast!

NOTE:

I am bit of a noob I haven't tried the Oculus Rift only the two other previous generations of Vuzix :p This has definately made me think wow Vuzix actually has something!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Vuzix Wrap VR 1200DX vs Wrap 920 first impressions

Post by cybereality »

If you think the Vuzix glasses are cool you are going to be BLOWN away by Oculus Rift DK2.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Deja vu, it feels like 2011 in here. We should dig up the old Vuzix mouse emulator. :D
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

I was actually using cybereality's IOVR mouse emulator :D

Hey 2011 pft... they only just came out recentlyish.... :D

And I got em since oculus rift isn't slated for consumer release until some time next year... so nothing else really about..
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Duh ! You paid $599.99 for a HMD with a 852x480 resolution per eye and a 35° diagonal FOV ?

You do realize that even if the Oculus Rift DK1 or DK2 are not consumer versions, they are leagues away from this Vuzix eyewear on all accounts ? The DK1 was half this price with a better resolution per eye and a x3 diagonal FOV.
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

I paid alot less than $600 and for the full VR kit ;p

Btw does Oculus Rift support head tracking without a camera etc?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

metronome wrote:I paid alot less than $600 and for the full VR kit ;p
I hope you paid much less than $300, anything close to that would be a ripoff considering the competition. Honestly I don't understand why people are still buying low FOV HMDs like the Vuzix, Cinemizer or Sony HMZ.

I know that the Rift is only a developer kit for now, but it's been sold a lot more than any other consumer HMD in history. And there is a plethora of content for it, if you are a VR fanatic there is really no reason to buy something else at this point.
metronome wrote:Btw does Oculus Rift support head tracking without a camera etc?
Sure, the DK1 and the DK2 both integrate a 9 DoF inertial sensor, just like the Vuzix VR Upgrade Kit.

Considering the specs of both sensors I'd say the one in the Rift should be much better though (0.25°/s for the Vuzix, 0.06°/s for the Rift). I doubt the Vuzix tracker is updating at 1000Hz also, but I couldn't find any specs about that.

Also the tracker is supported out of the box by the hundred of VR demos on the Oculus Rift, but it's only via an emulation layer for existing 3D games on the Vuzix and there is only a handful of native VR games.
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

Lol I paid $300 for the whole lot, didn't think it was that bad, would have the DK2 kit will be double that?
Yeh I do realise that the rift has natively supported tracking, graphics and game engine integration, but hey I will wait for that experience when the consumer version is out :D

But anyway I've already bought the HMD now so have to do something with it... maybe I'll sell it on when DK2 is readily avaliable but we'll see

Return to “Physical VR Tools”