Dev Kit 2 Released!

rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Re: Dev Kit 2 Released!

Post by rowanunderwood »

GeraldT wrote: So I am curious - who will sell their DK1? I was tempted, but decided I can't possibly hold development right now. But seeing them pop up on eBay like crazy makes me wonder if a free-fall price on eBay will help a ton of newbies to enter the VR scene (the DK1 still is pretty awesome!!).
You'd be crazy to sell your DK1! Even if VR completely flops again (which seems less and less likely) DK1 is a piece of history. If anything the price is going to skyrocket :)
mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mickman »

OMFG!!!! It's on people... Awesome !!! What The Fun !! We could well have DK2s in July

I just ordered :). Order #. Io-0884xxx

Regarding orders.... Must take into account country as well. Australia.
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
adf2006
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by adf2006 »

JoeReMi wrote:
squibbfire wrote:I wish I could let email everyone in the forum. I would rather have someone dev in this forum get it then some random Joe that just wants to collect it or sell it on ebay.
Quit dissin' the random Joes.
Right on. Personally, I'm more concerned about the Joe Schmoes ;)

Got my order in at 9:12 PDT, glad I happened to have the day off, if only I hadn't slept in so late! I'm actually eastern time so, yeah... I woke up at noon and immediately placed the order on my phone with no issues.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

rowanunderwood wrote: You'd be crazy to sell your DK1! Even if VR completely flops again (which seems less and less likely) DK1 is a piece of history. If anything the price is going to skyrocket :)
if it helps the cause? I have no plans yet to sell mine, but very likely I will give it to a friend or maybe my nephews to play with. there are 60k out there, so before it will sky-rocket it will likely take a decade.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

GeraldT wrote:
rowanunderwood wrote: You'd be crazy to sell your DK1! Even if VR completely flops again (which seems less and less likely) DK1 is a piece of history. If anything the price is going to skyrocket :)
if it helps the cause? I have no plans yet to sell mine, but very likely I will give it to a friend or maybe my nephews to play with. there are 60k out there, so before it will sky-rocket it will likely take a decade.
Yes... yes... do that... let your nephews destroy, I mean, play with your dk1. Further decreasing the mint condition rifts in existence and vastly increasing their value, mwahahahahahaha.

In fact, now that that dk2 is out for preorder, a lot of people have been talking about how it's like having the vr version of the shitty controller for friends to play multiplayer with, but not me. I will shrink wrap my rift and mount it as a display to force my friends to look at while they watch me enjoy my dk2, forever safe from their oily sausage beaters, until, like a fine wine, its value as a collector's item will rival that of Action Comic's #1...

Go ahead, G. Just lend that thing out of willy-nilly. :-p
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

:lol: ... I can totally see your place now. there is a golden Rift in the center and pictures of Palmer, Iribe, Carmack etc. formed like a shrine in the middle. From now on you will force every visitor to pray for an hour to the eye before you allow them to bring forth their business with you (it annoys the heck out of the postman I guess).

it's history, I am sure there are enough people having a Rift in a museum. And I am really happy for those people ... I move A LOT ... like I have moved like 8 times in the last 10 years. And I have no plans to settle somewhere right now ... I like to keep it simple. So I keep the Rift worshipping to the nutj... I mean historians :)
xef6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xef6 »

CK-5100xxx here in USA :woot
the singularity... sooooooon :D
falken
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by falken »

FM-0142xxx in the eastern US. Ordered at about 1pm eastern time. Strange order numbers for sure this time. Trying to keep us all guessing as to the order they're in I suppose.
Mindvent
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mindvent »

Heeeeere we go again!!! Ordered, of course.

Let's hope our DK1's will help nerves with the wait, making things easier for all involved this time round.

Can't deny the buzz feels the same as it did with DK1 tho.
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

I am anxious for the 75hz...i ordered one...but i'm afraid 75hz low persistence will flicker like mad...

I was VERY sensitive to flicker in the crt days (which granted micht have had a much lower persistance duty cycle)
Anything below 100hz and i was literally crying.
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

Will DK1 games work with DK2 out of the box ? Seeing that they've changed from the 7" display to the 5" one. It would make sense that the IPD stays the same but the shaders would be closer, and obviously the centers of the two halves of the screen as well. So it would require some sort of screen IPD adjustement. But I could just talk out of my ass.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Attreyu wrote:Will DK1 games work with DK2 out of the box ? Seeing that they've changed from the 7" display to the 5" one. It would make sense that the IPD stays the same but the shaders would be closer, and obviously the centers of the two halves of the screen as well. So it would require some sort of screen IPD adjustement. But I could just talk out of my ass.
This is from the FAQ on the Oculus site:

Q: I’ve been developing my VR content for the original Oculus Rift Development Kit. Will my VR projects be compatible with the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2?

A: Yes, your VR content developed with the original Oculus Rift Development Kit is compatible with the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2. You may need to make some changes to your content to take advantage of the new features of the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2. If you view your modified project in the original Oculus Rift Development Kit, it can be viewed at a lower resolution and positional tracking will be switched off.
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

V8Griff wrote:
Attreyu wrote:Will DK1 games work with DK2 out of the box ? Seeing that they've changed from the 7" display to the 5" one. It would make sense that the IPD stays the same but the shaders would be closer, and obviously the centers of the two halves of the screen as well. So it would require some sort of screen IPD adjustement. But I could just talk out of my ass.
This is from the FAQ on the Oculus site:

Q: I’ve been developing my VR content for the original Oculus Rift Development Kit. Will my VR projects be compatible with the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2?

A: Yes, your VR content developed with the original Oculus Rift Development Kit is compatible with the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2. You may need to make some changes to your content to take advantage of the new features of the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2. If you view your modified project in the original Oculus Rift Development Kit, it can be viewed at a lower resolution and positional tracking will be switched off.
Pretty vague tbh. I guess we'll see in the summer how it goes exactly.
remosito

Post by remosito »

Took me 90 minutes of constantly reentering the data on a tablet to finally get through at 10:04am Oculus time!!!!

:woot

Sooo excited! It has been an excruciating excercise in self-control to resist DK1 for so long! Finally!
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

So...The screen is smaller...which means smaller pixels(even if it was still the same resolution)...The screen is also 1080 which means more pixels...and the screen is faster....Wow..this thing is gonna rock!!!!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

GeraldT wrote::lol: ... I can totally see your place now. there is a golden Rift in the center and pictures of Palmer, Iribe, Carmack etc. formed like a shrine in the middle. From now on you will force every visitor to pray for an hour to the eye before you allow them to bring forth their business with you (it annoys the heck out of the postman I guess).

it's history, I am sure there are enough people having a Rift in a museum. And I am really happy for those people ... I move A LOT ... like I have moved like 8 times in the last 10 years. And I have no plans to settle somewhere right now ... I like to keep it simple. So I keep the Rift worshipping to the nutj... I mean historians :)
I'm still mad at myself for leaving my Virtual Boy in the garage for a Decade or so. Thing still boots like a champ, but screens are totally wrecked :(. I don't have a shrine for DK1 built yet, but it'll definitely avoid the garage fate. I do already have the pictures of Carmack though . . .

and this poster
http://www.jesperjuul.net/ludologist/ne ... ontrollers
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

Mattijs wrote:I am anxious for the 75hz...i ordered one...but i'm afraid 75hz low persistence will flicker like mad...

I was VERY sensitive to flicker in the crt days (which granted micht have had a much lower persistance duty cycle)
Anything below 100hz and i was literally crying.
Yea I am super excited for 75hz also, with the advent of VR, folks who claim higher framerates make no difference are now provably wrong! Whenever a game support 120hz it gives me warm fuzzy feelings. Super Meat Boy is especially good at illustrating the difference between 60 and 120 to the unconverted :)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

rowanunderwood wrote: I'm still mad at myself for leaving my Virtual Boy in the garage for a Decade or so. Thing still boots like a champ, but screens are totally wrecked :(. I don't have a shrine for DK1 built yet, but it'll definitely avoid the garage fate. I do already have the pictures of Carmack though . . .

and this poster
http://www.jesperjuul.net/ludologist/ne ... ontrollers
build quality was different back then, I wonder how many Rifts will still work in a decade. But I am happy that there are enough collectors, makes is much easier to give mine away soon ... and I am looking forward to see some of the survivors in a decade or two :)

and that list is awesome!!
RaNk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RaNk »

I'm in. :)
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

Am i the only one who liked the visible motion tracking dots in the body of the prior 1080p version?
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Libertine wrote:Am i the only one who liked the visible motion tracking dots in the body of the prior 1080p version?
Maybe, I prefer them being hidden. :)
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

I really hope they don't start adding any more stuff to the rift like controllers or other devices. The positional tracking is nice however I want VR to take off and if it goes above 400 or 500 it will find itself in the same position as the xbox one. 350 is almost close to being too high for the average Joe (yeah Joes im talking to you!lol). I'm sure people can go out and get their own controllers at first...maybe once the market has the taste of cheap VR... Oculus can package wireless hydra controllers with the rift.

Imagine October of 2016.....Oculus releases 4k Oculus Rift 3 with wireless hydra controllers...399.99!
That sounds like the VR world I want to be in:)
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

No I liked them better when they were visible - I always like to see how stuff works. But they did it more for protection of the LEDs from what I have seen in the interviews.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

squibbfire wrote:Imagine October of 2016.....Oculus releases 4k Oculus Rift 3 with wireless hydra controllers...399.99!
That sounds like the VR world I want to be in:)
You obviously never bought a hydra then..... ;)

STEM maybe hydra no!
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

I was reading stuff people are saying about the pre-order dk2, and let me tell you, you'd be crazy not to. It's three more months until we maybe see the DK2 emerge from darkness, it might even be delayed one more month, and it might be even worse for the CV1, since it's being polished, and might be delayed even further because of software bundled with it.
Buying a 1080p Oculus Rift kit from Daniel on this forum might be the best idea, if you own a DK1 and aren't interested in waiting dk2.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

GeraldT wrote:No I liked them better when they were visible - I always like to see how stuff works. But they did it more for protection of the LEDs from what I have seen in the interviews.
Our first batch of prototype covers were clear so you could see all the leds & guts. You would love em. I'll try to snap a shot of them when I find them.
dkd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dkd »

hi guys,

How much did you pay for delivery your HMDs? I would like to compare. I pre-odered two kits and they charged 290$ for shipping them to Russia(Saint Petersburg). To send one costs 145$, two - 290$, if I bought ten they would ask 10 times x 145$ . I think it's not fair. I had to agree with it but I think it is too-o-o much for sending a parcel 1(2) kg gross weight to me.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

dkd wrote:hi guys,

How much did you pay for delivery your HMDs? I would like to compare. I pre-odered two kits and they charged 290$ for shipping them to Russia(Saint Petersburg). To send one costs 145$, two - 290$, if I bought ten they would ask 10 times x 145$ . I think it's not fair. I had to agree with it but I think it is too-o-o much for sending a parcel 1(2) kg gross weight to me.
Shipping to Germany costs $55.00 USD + $76.95 USD in taxes.
If you want to save money on shipping, you should look into a shipping service located in the US.
They give you a special address and everything that gets sent to that US address will be redirected by them to your real address.
This could cut down on shipping costs.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

brantlew wrote:Our first batch of prototype covers were clear so you could see all the leds & guts. You would love em. I'll try to snap a shot of them when I find them.
ohhh - please do!! I loved that transparent XBOX back in the day (even though one might have had to "optimize" it a bit by removing the cage for full effect :roll:).
If it had been a choice, I would have bought a transparent version!! :)
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

I read that Oculus has changed its policy and will no longer ship to mail forwarders. How long after placing the DK2 pre-order would one know if his address was rejected or not? How do they determine what's an acceptable or an unacceptable address?

Thanks
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Zoide wrote:I read that Oculus has changed its policy and will no longer ship to mail forwarders. How long after placing the DK2 pre-order would one know if his address was rejected or not? How do they determine what's an acceptable or an unacceptable address?

Thanks
They have likely build a database to check against (or bought one). I wonder if this is due to fraud prevention or some "we can not deliver rocket tech to country XYZ".
My guess is that they won't reject you right away but will wait a bit to make it a lot harder to try the next service until you find one that works. If they wait 2 weeks you need a month for 2 tries ...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Don't bother using freight forwarding. Oculus will cancel your order.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Why is Oculus doing that to us? That's how everyone buys everything in my country. Our banks even let us set a separate billing address for our credit card in the US for online purchases there via forwarders. Could you please accommodate for the use of reputable forwarders and legitimate billing addresses like we use ?
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Zoide I do not know the reasons, but I presented two possibilities in my earlier post. Others might be the tax/duty situation when forwarding to a different country.

The one thing I am sure of, is that it is not because Oculus does not like the citizens of country XYZ - either scammers abusing it or legal reasons are very likely behind it.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

I would gladly use Oculus' official shipping methods were it not for the fact that they charge $120 just to ship the package to my country. On top of that, you'd have to add tax/duties/fees.

Instead, when I ordered the DK1 last year, the freight forwarder charged me just $25 to ship the package. The rest was $60 of taxes/duties/fees, which were much lower than they'd be if I were to use Oculus' ultra-expensive shipping.

That's due to the fact that the charges are calculated based on the package's total CIF (Cost, Insurance, and Freight). In other words, the taxes/fees would be a % of $470 ($350 + $120 ripoff shipping) instead of $375 ($350 + $25 shipping).

Oh, and my country is just a 2.5 hour plane ride away from the US. It's not like I live in Australia or Russia. Which reminds me that I also thought of sending the DK2 to a hotel in one of my trips to the US (as I've done for a million other online purchases), but Oculus is also restricting that.

I'm sorry, but it's hard to shake the feeling that they're screwing us just to avoid any potential grief on their end. This might be understandable back when Palmer was selling hand-built kits from his parents' home, but it's inexcusable for a multi-million dollar company. As I've said before, this is the first time buying from *any* online company where they specifically go out of their way to refuse sending things to people who need forwarders or are staying at a hotel.

EDIT: I just realized that Oculus' checkout form says Shipping is $120, but "Feeds, Duties and Taxes" says $0.00. Does that mean that Oculus will take care of all feeds, duties, and taxes and deliver the package in my hands for a flat $120? If that were so, I'd take back pretty much everything I said and issue a heartfelt apology. I'm still willing to give you guys the benefit of the doubt! ;)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I do not know why Oculus is charging $120 when others are able to ship it for just $25. All I can guess is that they have made bad experiences with cheap shipping (like lost packages, damaged packages ...). I do not expect them to make big money on shipping ...
But if you pay less taxes/duty fees when using the forward service, then it obviously is some form of tax fraud and Oculus can't be a part of that. Just find a nice person you know in the US and order it to their place and ask them to forward it to you. Then Oculus won't be participating in you skipping taxes and you can save some bucks.
I know it is a pain, but I remember all the problems with Canadas shipping with the early DK1 shipments ... so I can understand them rather being on the careful side. They are not a mail-order company and can't be perfect just for the dev kits.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

GeraldT wrote:But if you pay less taxes/duty fees when using the forward service, then it obviously is some form of tax fraud and Oculus can't be a part of that.
There must be a misunderstanding. I *never* said that the forwarder pays less taxes or does tax fraud. What I meant to say is that customs calculates the taxes and fees as a percentage of the total CIF (Cost, Insurance, and Freight) value of the package. Clearly, if the Freight costs less ($25 vs. $120), the total CIF value will be lower, and therefore the corresponding taxes and fees will also be lower.
GeraldT wrote:Just find a nice person you know in the US and order it to their place and ask them to forward it to you.
If I'm not mistaken, that's *precisely* one of the things Oculus doesn't want us to be doing. I think they mentioned it's for warranty purposes, etc. I have family in the US, but if I send the DK2 to them it's going to be their name in the database, their billing address, etc.

Instead, if I use a freight forwarder I get to purchase the DK2 using my bank-registered US billing address which uses my real full name. There is nothing "dodgy" or "fraudulent" about using this type of freight forwarder, but I get the feeling that the new Oculus policy was written under the assumption that we're all scammers of some sort...
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

I've ordered two and I'm paying at total of $224 shipping and taxes.

Which includes the shipping and UK VAT.

$700 for the 2 x DK2
$70 for shipping
$ 154 for duties and fees which works out at the 20% VAT charged in the UK.

So from that I'm assuming that at the much lower rate you're referring to either the forwarding service avoids paying the VAT/duty in your country or expects you to declare it and pay it separately.

If the tax isn't paid then someone is breaking the tax rules which is why I assume Oculus cannot/will not support that method of shipping.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

V8Griff wrote:I've ordered two and I'm paying at total of $224 shipping and taxes.

Which includes the shipping and UK VAT.

$700 for the 2 x DK2
$70 for shipping
$ 154 for duties and fees which works out at the 20% VAT charged in the UK.

So from that I'm assuming that at the much lower rate you're referring to either the forwarding service avoids paying the VAT/duty in your country or expects you to declare it and pay it separately.

If the tax isn't paid then someone is breaking the tax rules which is why I assume Oculus cannot/will not support that method of shipping.
As I said before, the forwarder does *not* break or evade tax rules. My country is very close to the US (2.5 hour plane ride), so there's no reason for a 2.88 Kg package (DK1) to have cost more than ~$25 to ship. Aside from the ~$25 of shipping costs, the forwarder charged me ~$60 of taxes (13% of CIF cost + other fees).

~$85 for shipping one DK1 to a country that is very nearby is not indicative of any tax fraud. It's just a reasonable cost.

Now, as I stated earlier, I am somewhat encouraged by the "Fees, Duties & Taxes" field on the Oculus checkout page which says $0.00. Perhaps the $120 shipping cost already includes all taxes/fees. If that were the case, I'd be OK with paying $120 straight from Oculus rather than paying $85 to the forwarder.

On the other hand, if the $120 is just for shipping a < 3Kg package on a short plane ride, then it's a different story. Once you factor in taxes/fees the total cost would be ~$200, which is more than twice what I paid for the DK1 last year.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Zoide wrote: Now, as I stated earlier, I am somewhat encouraged by the "Fees, Duties & Taxes" field on the Oculus checkout page which says $0.00. Perhaps the $120 shipping cost already includes all taxes/fees. If that were the case, I'd be OK with paying $120 straight from Oculus rather than paying $85 to the forwarder..
Sorry I shouldn't have made the comment about the forwarder as it's just confused the intention of my reply.

I was intending to show that I've ordered two and that it adds up to $224 in total for shipping and fees, which in my case have been shown as two separate items ($70 + $154)

So if you've ordered one then that would equate to half of my costs which would mean $35 dollars shipping and $77 for taxes, so £112 which just a little less than your figure of $120.

Return to “Oculus VR”