"Oculu" Strikes Back: What will be new RIFT name now??

Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

"Oculu" Strikes Back: What will be new RIFT name now??

Post by Dilip »

Shocking news that a company called 'Oculu', which has recently filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against Oculus Rift claiming “false designation of origin, trademark dilution and unfair competition.” That Surprised me a lot

http://www.geek.com/games/oculus-rift-m ... d-1584785/
http://www.roadtovr.com/ip-wars-begun-f ... oculus-vr/
http://games.on.net/2014/02/oculus-rift ... med-oculu/

A company formed after deep research how can make such error? That too, headed by some veterans like Michael Abrash and Jhon Carmack.

They have also made allegation that they are older then Oculus & Palmer & Co. tried to buy out their portal too, Really?

So now what will be the new name..here are few options

A. Carmack Rift
B. Lucky Rift
C. P&J Rift
D. L&C Rift

Though if any name change will happen surely i would consider as most unfortunate, as how such thing gone unnoticed out of any one's focus. I still hope some neutral 'every one win' kind of a way come out rather then Oculus Buying them out.
Last edited by Dilip on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Re: "Oculu" Strikes Back: What will be new RIFT name now??

Post by Hornet »

Year ago i wrote too about similarity with ophthalmic devices company named direct OCULUS yes OCULUS Gmbh. Company is located in germany....oculus was not from start ideal name...but small error on start is big problem later...

I vote for VR Rift :-) can you add it?
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

This is an opportunist case by OCULU and will fail imo.

Trademarks are awarded to specific business categories OCULU's trademark has been granted thus:

IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Streaming of audio and video material by means of the Internet.

The Oculus VR trademark has been granted thus:

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Virtual reality headsets and helmets adapted for use in playing video games. FIRST USE: 20121112. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20121112

Both of these trademarks are registered and are awarded in different categories therefore there is no passing off or confusion as they're in different market sectors.. I can see that as a 'slam-dunk' thrown out of court case in favour of Oculus.

I wonder if the recent $75m investment has any bearing on the case..... :roll:
Fractalys
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fractalys »

V8Griff wrote:This is an opportunist case by OCULU and will fail imo.

Trademarks are awarded to specific business categories OCULU's trademark has been granted thus:

IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Streaming of audio and video material by means of the Internet.

The Oculus VR trademark has been granted thus:

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Virtual reality headsets and helmets adapted for use in playing video games. FIRST USE: 20121112. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20121112

Both of these trademarks are registered and are awarded in different categories therefore there is no passing off or confusion as they're in different market sectors.. I can see that as a 'slam-dunk' thrown out of court case in favour of Oculus.

I wonder if the recent $75m investment has any bearing on the case..... :roll:
Seems more like a PR-move. Oculus VR shouldn't worry at all. Oculu didn't define their business-domain very well, because they are a video analytic's company, streaming is just part of their cost-structure.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

I think it calls for a world-wide boycott of Oculu! :lol:
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Dilip wrote: A company formed after deep research how can make such error? That too, headed by some veterans like Michal Ambrash and Jhon Carmack.
I have been on these forums for a while and I think Palmer even asked in a thread on here somewhere, for people to give input on the name of his Company/HMD or both.
I think this was before the then un-named Oculus blew-up to the great thing it has now become. And I'm almost 100% sure Michal Ambrash and Jhon Carmack had nothing to do with the naming of the Company.
Alejux
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Alejux »

Dilip wrote:Shocking news that a company called 'Oculu', which has recently filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against Oculus Rift claiming “false designation of origin, trademark dilution and unfair competition.” That Surprised me a lot

A company formed after deep research how can make such error? That too, headed by some veterans like Michal Ambrash and Jhon Carmack.

They have also made allegation that they are older then Oculus & Palmer & Co. tried to buy out their portal too, Really?

A. Carmack Rift
B. Lucky Rift
C. P&J Rift
D. L&C Rift

Though if any name change will happen surely i would consider as most unfortunate, as how such thing gone unnoticed out of any one's focus. I still hope some neutral 'every one win' kind of a way come out rather then Oculus Buying them out.
You speak as though Oculus VR did something wrong. As if the name Oculus was already taken by some other company in the same field. It wasn't. "Oculus VR" is not the same name as Oculu, and it was not created to hitch a ride on the "success" of Oculu (whoever they may be) by adding an "S" after it like they claim. Oculus, is a real word, while Oculu is not. This is a ridiculous case that will probably be settled for less than half a million to avoid legal costs.

In other news: Apple sues Applebee's from using their name and adding a "bee's" after it.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Alejux wrote: This is a ridiculous case that will probably be settled for less than half a million to avoid legal costs.

In other news: Apple sues Applebee's from using their name and adding a "bee's" after it.
I doubt it will even get that far.....
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Alejux wrote:
Dilip wrote:Shocking news that a company called 'Oculu', which has recently filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against Oculus Rift claiming “false designation of origin, trademark dilution and unfair competition.” That Surprised me a lot

A company formed after deep research how can make such error? That too, headed by some veterans like Michael Abrash and Jhon Carmack.

A. Carmack Rift
B. Lucky Rift
C. P&J Rift
D. L&C Rift

You speak as though Oculus VR did something wrong. As if the name Oculus was already taken by some other company in the same field. It wasn't. "Oculus VR" is not the same name as Oculu, and it was not created to hitch a ride on the "success" of Oculu (whoever they may be) by adding an "S" after it like they claim. Oculus, is a real word, while Oculu is not. This is a ridiculous case that will probably be settled for less than half a million to avoid legal costs.

I do not say ‘Oculus VR did something wrong’ but as per OCULU, they were first to register the name ‘OCULU’ (Regardless if it does not make sense as word) and its Oculus which registered later so I think in this is case where OCULU is ‘Apple’ and oculus is Applebee’s. As per ‘OCULU’ they reacted now due to OCULUS's Plan for VR VIDEO STREAMING which conflicted with their area of operations.

Anyway my point was the way this thing came out is unfortunate nothing else. If someone who decide to Name start-up of company. They should do market research first before deciding name as to not to come in conflict with someone having similar name and older than them existence. Especially when the new start-up has potential of growing and thus intervening older one's territory.

Here I also do not see the chance of case in standing in court of law as far as virtual reality display device model of business is concerned. But surely it can trouble oculus expand its business model in VR Video Streaming which is also kind of ‘Video streaming’.

Return to “Oculus VR”