Skyrim Flame and Fog issue in Vireio Perception: 2.0.0.2

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Forge
One Eyed Hopeful

Skyrim Flame and Fog issue in Vireio Perception: 2.0.0.2

Post by Forge »

I really like the new update to the Vireio drivers. The scale and the shadows look great. However I am encountering a strange graphics glitch which I haven't seen mentioned on the board so far.

In Skyrim vanilla when ever I view an object with a Fire or Fog behind it and then move my head I see the following anomaly:
http://www.heskethmedia.com/wp-content/ ... -03-46.jpg

I've also seen this glitch around the fog on the mountains.

It only lasts very briefly then disappears.

My graphics card is an AMD R9 290 if that makes any difference. I have set the config setting bDeferredShadows=0 in the SkyrimPrefs.ini file.

I've also tried various different screen resolutions.

Any idea what could be causing this effect.
Composer for hire. Film TV and Games:
http://www.heskethmedia.com
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Skyrim Flame and Fog issue in Vireio Perception: 2.0.0.2

Post by Neil »

Is there any way you can attach a savegame for us to look at?

Regards,
Neil
Forge
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Forge »

Here is a link to the save file:

http://www.gainaudio.net/temp/SkyrimSave.zip
garrow
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by garrow »

I'm also experiencing this issue where the shadows/fog/smoke appear to track differently from the scene both inside and in outside environments relative to my head movement which sadly kills immersion.

I'm using an ATI 6950 and tried everything from 11.x - 13.14 ATI drivers with no luck as until now I'd assumed I was the only one with the issue. I'd also tried every possible combination of reinstall skyrim, wiped all games, mods and combinations of duplicated/extended desktops etc and minimised settings to see if running > 100fps would alleviate the issue.

I was quietly gutted as the youtube videos using the same version didn't have this issue and wondered if it was specific to my card.

Is there anything I can do to help troubleshoot?
Forge
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Forge »

Right then, just replaced my AMD R9 290 with a Geforce GTX 780 (AMD card kept throwing BSOD dicky fits) and what do you know, the graphic tracking anomaly has gone. Skyrim looks great now. I am not sure whether it was a problem with the Catalyst drivers, the AMD chipset or just a dodgy card.

Just thought it might be useful info when developing the new set of Vireio drivers.
adf2006
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by adf2006 »

I have the same issue on an R7 260X. Sounds like it's an AMD issue then. Otherwise the game looks great. Just ran it for the first time last night. When it works the immersion is incredible, but this issue is impossible to tolerate when it comes up.
Sikph
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sikph »

I have an r9 290 and have the same issue. It used to work fine on my Nvidia 560 Ti. I spent the entire day fruitlessly trying to find a fix for it. Such a shame. I hope there is a solution and it isn't just something we'll have to deal with. It really spoils such a perfect experience.
garrow
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by garrow »

I've tried with 2.0.0.3 and the issue still remains (and catalyst 14.4). Has anyone had success with an ATI card or are there any actions worth trying e.g. reinstall skyrim again?
DrBeef
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by DrBeef »

I actually get this issue really badly. I had it with my previous card, GTX 660 Ti, and upgraded recently to a GTX 780 and was disappointed to discover I still get it. Pretty seriously as it is particularly bad outside. It's odd because I think it is unlikely to be my GPU, as I upgraded and I have cleaned and done a vanilla install countless times now.

Looking at it, I don't think it is a shadow problem, it looks more like some aspects of the left eye image are being rendered on the right eye, and vice versa. I could tell by lining up the cross hair against a prominent object in the distance (such as a tree) and seeing where the "ghost" image appears in the other eye.

I thought I had a saved game where it was working fine, but it also has the issue, but it just wasn't quite so obvious.

It also happens on one side at a time, but appears to flicker back and forth, which makes it incredibly distracting. Screenshots attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
garrow
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by garrow »

A call out to any devs out there... is there anything I can do, e.g. log debugging values or provide *any* data that helps pinpoint the issue?

The only hack to improve matters a little was to edit SkyrimPrefs.ini and find the [Particles] section and update "Maximum desired particles" to:
iMaxDesired = 1

This nerfed interior/dungeon particles and helped with the delayed/offset silhouettes in some situations, however this setting seems to have no impact in outside environments. Last resort is to get an nvidia card. urgh.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

OK, so when I thought I had enabled 3D stereoscopic in my NVIDIA control panel, it would appear I hadn't. As soon as I enabled it (and I just selected ryen/blue glasses as my 3D display type) and then disabled it in the game (CTRL+T) the annoying flickering artifact went away. It now looks as great as I hoped it would.

I had a feeling it wasn't a vireio issue as when I tried Vorpx it had the same problem.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

I have good news and bad news. The good news is for the first time, I tried Skyrim on my AMD 7970 machine. My other computer is in the shop for warranty repairs. I have to say, I'm really impressed with the low latency and performance with the 7970. With other 3D drivers, Nvidia GPUs often did circles around the AMD GPUs when 3D Vision or the "3D Vision Hack" (the unlock for Nvidia performance benefits) was used. In this case, the latency and performance is remarkably smoother. I was expecting it to be very clunky and I was way wrong.

The bad news is I can confirm the above error where the fog is out of step with the imagery, and it's very distracting. However, the problem is at least CONFIRMED.

The other issue is as far as I know, I'm the only one on the Vireio team with an AMD GPU. Maybe there is a way for me to help them diagnose this remotely. We can try.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “Development / General Discussion”