(yet another) VR gloves thread: software ignorance edition

Discussion of tools and products that add VR physicality. Samples include VR treadmills, special hand controllers, gesture technology and more.
Haloar
One Eyed Hopeful

(yet another) VR gloves thread: software ignorance edition

Post by Haloar »

Made a DIY glove with a few strain gauges over some glove joints, hooked up to Arduino...

Now the hard part (or easy I don't know) -getting all the voltage values into game/ character movements.

I need to collect the values and put them into a hand model, any suggestions?
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: (yet another) VR gloves thread: software ignorance editi

Post by MSat »

What engine are you planning on using?
Haloar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Haloar »

MSat wrote:What engine are you planning on using?
I guess Unity for ease of use, where a number of COM ports are established and the data is fed to a hand model in a scene or something like that.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

You might want to ask around on the Unity forums then and see if such a thing is possible with the version you're using. Though off the top of my head, one option may be to emulate a gamepad where each finger corresponds to some analog stick access.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I believe you can read the serial port using Unity.

Here is some code I found with a quick search (not tested):
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,40001.0.html
Haloar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Haloar »

Thanks, I might have a go in glovePIE or freePIE too when I get a chance.

Unity is for manipulating a hand model, while the PIE's I'll use to compare voltage values to saved values and if they match perform a keystroke emulation.
It could even be used as a pointing finger controlling the cursor :geek: oh the possibilities
Caliber Mengsk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Caliber Mengsk »

@CyberReality
:D I haven't seen that code in a long time (**Note the username on the post). Now my code is threaded and closes the port when the game stops. Breaks a lot less often now. (in fact, even if things get unplugged while running, it doesn't break unity at least.)

@Haloar
You can do anything (literally anything) that c# mono can do, this includes socket communications (which includes talking to the arduino via serial), as long as you enable the full framework instead of the subset. (it's in the player settings)

Currently, that's how I'm talking to my arduino for my glove. Someone also made a script for interacting with the arduino from unity in a very simple way. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/6804

It's called uniduino. I haven't messed with it personally as the $30 price tag is more then I want to spend to save a few minutes of programming, but for those that aren't very knowledgeable in programming, sockets, and the like, it's probably better to use.

Return to “Physical VR Tools”