Help with lenses and IPD

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
WedgeSD
One Eyed Hopeful

Help with lenses and IPD

Post by WedgeSD »

Hey guys I'm in the process of building my first DIY HMD! Everything is going together great but I have a few questions/concerns. I'm building my HMD using a 5.6" 1280x800 LCD I bought from njytouch. The screen came from china WAY faster then I expected (8 days from pressing buy to my doorstep in California!). Anyway, I got caught with my pants down and haven't ordered my lenses yet. I had inteded on ordering the 5x asphiric lenses on eBay that palmertech suggested on this forum. In the mean time I've been experimenting with some cheap-o 7x eye loops I used to build an FOV to go. On the FOV to go with my iPhone 4 they worked just fine. But with the 5.6" LCD I get a very pronounced double image. The only way I can get a single image is if I spread the ipd so far that the right lens is only showing the right part of the screen and the left lens the left part. If I sit and fiddle with ipd for long enough I can get the double image to go away every once in awhile but when I do the 3d is very weak. I have read that convergence can be an issue with a diy set up but that with a 5.6" screen it shouldn't be an issue.
Now I know that one of the reasons we use an aspheric lens is because it has a much wider viewable ipd. So basically my question is. Will get the correct lenses fix the issue I'm having? Or are there some other lenses/fixes you guys can suggest?

Thanks in advance!
WedgeSD
kmiecik57
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Help with lenses and IPD

Post by kmiecik57 »

Hi

Have you tried splitting the screen in half with some cardboard or something like that?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Help with lenses and IPD

Post by cybereality »

The left lens should ONLY should the left side and the right lens ONLY the right side.

Are you sure you are displaying proper 3D content?

Return to “Do it Yourself!”