CES 2014 Oculus Rift

remosito
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: CES 2014 Oculus Rift

Post by remosito »

as we are talking positional tracking:

I was sooooo rooting for the RF tracking guy who got hired off the boards here! That was my only negative reaction seeing the optical solution ;-)

(Dear Crystal Cove Opticaltracker developer(s): I don't dislike your work. If what I hear is true about sub-mm, ultralow latency, good pricepoint. Comparing well with professional solutions. Then kudos and awesome work. The RF guy was just one from here, more of an emotional thing!)
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

remosito wrote:as we are talking positional tracking:

I was sooooo rooting for the RF tracking guy who got hired off the boards here! That was my only negative reaction seeing the optical solution ;-)

(Dear Crystal Cove Opticaltracker developer(s): I don't dislike your work. If what I hear is true about sub-mm, ultralow latency, good pricepoint. Comparing well with professional solutions. Then kudos and awesome work. The RF guy was just one from here, more of an emotional thing!)
Who is this RF tracking guy you speak of? Nirav? That's the guy who initially designed the IMU.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Krenzo was the main RF guy on the boards here but he is not currently employed at Oculus. FingerFlinger got hired recently and had been working on optical research for the past year.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Did OVR mentioned in any recent video that CV1 will have an OLED panel?
remosito

Post by remosito »

brantlew wrote:Krenzo was the main RF guy on the boards here but he is not currently employed at Oculus. FingerFlinger got hired recently and had been working on optical research for the past year.
i was sure I had read Krenzo got hired by Oculus... no?

I am terrible with names.. but his system had 4 antennas in corners and receptor on tracker that would use time diference between signal reception from differeent emitters to calculat position. Or somesuch something....

dis I just dream he got hired by Oculus?

Or maybe I mixed up one with other. Reading tracking guy got hired and as I can never keep names straight just thought it was RF guy!
Last edited by remosito on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

You're thinking of Krenzo, and no, he doesn't work for Oculus AFAIK. He did demonstrate it to the guys at Valve, though.
remosito

Post by remosito »

MSat wrote:You're thinking of Krenzo, and no, he doesn't work for Oculus AFAIK. He did demonstrate it to the guys at Valve, though.
Ha! You are right! I remember that now. Was afraid it was evilempire when he went there and he only said the state and Valve and MS are HQed in same one.

Goddamn my brain is a mess!

Ha, so it was optical guy (fingerflinger, repeating names helps memorize I'm told) who actually got hired. Sweet! Is the Crystal Cove postracking including some of his stuff?
Last edited by remosito on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remosito

Post by remosito »

colocolo wrote:Did OVR mentioned in any recent video that CV1 will have an OLED panel?

they confirmed CV1 will feature postrack and low persistance afaik.

As low persistence isn't possible without OLEDs....
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

remosito wrote:
colocolo wrote:Did OVR mentioned in any recent video that CV1 will have an OLED panel?

did you remember the video? i want to hear it from their lips.

Ah no,..... now i remember.... they said CV1 or dk2 will feature all what cc features......
Nice! :D
remosito

Post by remosito »

colocolo wrote:
remosito wrote:

did you remember the video? i want to hear it from their lips.

Ah no,..... now i remember.... they said CV1 or dk2 will feature all what cc features......
Nice! :D
Yes that's what they said. And can't remember which vid (s) either. To many of'em in the past week.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Oculus is spearheading the VR movement, all of these other companies are feeding off of their success.
Yes, I suspect OVR believes exactly that: we're the elephant in the room, they have to work around us, not us around them.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

remosito wrote:Ha, so it was optical guy (fingerflinger, repeating names helps memorize I'm told) who actually got hired. Sweet! Is the Crystal Cove postracking including some of his stuff?
Ha! Nope. The rest of the computer vision team has been working on this solution for quite a while, and I just joined recently. I hope to make some significant contributions going forward, though!
remosito

Post by remosito »

FingerFlinger wrote:
remosito wrote:Ha, so it was optical guy (fingerflinger, repeating names helps memorize I'm told) who actually got hired. Sweet! Is the Crystal Cove postracking including some of his stuff?
Ha! Nope. The rest of the computer vision team has been working on this solution for quite a while, and I just joined recently. I hope to make some significant contributions going forward, though!
:-)

Best of luck! And I hope it is an as amazing and exciting experience to work at OculusVR and spearhead this VR revolution from the inside as it is imagined by at least this one on the outside. The excitement and dedication and love for VR and pride in the progress and happyness about the incredible success are almost palpable in interviews. To me, very good ingreddients for an awesome work environment!

(and sorry for mixing you up with Krenzo and RF tracking :-( )
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

No worries, I don't mind being mixed up with Krenzo; he's a cool guy! It's pretty rad to be involved with Oculus. I am definitely enjoying myself, and am learning a bunch from all of my very smart coworkers!
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

I tested turning around with a 1 meter long 3mm thick cable attached to earphones sucessfully for 3600° in one direction.
Works fine! :D
i fixed it to the ceiling to a small rift between two planks. It wasn't movable in this rift, so i assume i can go even further with a hook suspension.
You don't notice the cable at all.
XCHDave
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by XCHDave »

Am I the only one who's thinking why you would really need positional tracking with the omni?

Your strapped in one spot and can't crouch and barely jump.

I don't see it as important than when your sitting in like a spaceship or something.

I'm excited for all things VR, the rift the omni and stem are all on my must have list.

For $300-400 mark the rift just as an hmd with no tracking at all is a bargain. Yet we are getting orientation and semi positional. We should be happy with that for the price!

compatibility won't be as much of an issue as some on this thread have claimed, 3rd party apps which enable systems to work together shouldn't be too much of an issue, just look at the work of verio perception and vorpx, drivers like that could include adding things like stem to games also..
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

XCHDave wrote:Am I the only one who's thinking why you would really need positional tracking with the omni?

I don't see it as important than when your sitting in like a spaceship or something.
I would have assumed the opposite - that you'd be moving your head a lot more on an omni than sitting down. It doesn't matter much anyway - Oculus will be including a positional tracking solution as default with all Rifts, as they should; even tiny, unintentional head movements are extremely important to be recognized.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
remosito

Post by remosito »

XCHDave wrote:Am I the only one who's thinking why you would really need positional tracking with the omni?

I'm excited for all things VR, the rift the omni and stem are all on my must have list.

For $300-400 mark the rift just as an hmd with no tracking at all is a bargain. Yet we are getting orientation and semi positional. We should be happy with that for the price!

compatibility won't be as much of an issue as some on this thread have claimed, 3rd party apps which enable systems to work together shouldn't be too much of an issue, just look at the work of verio perception and vorpx, drivers like that could include adding things like stem to games also..
Look around corners. When you look at something on a table or the floor you bend over....
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

remosito wrote:
Look around corners. When you look at something on a table or the floor you bend over....
Slight movements of the head from side to side, or up/down, whatever. It's more for that than it is walking around the room.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

aside from the practical uses there is the not so unimportant relevance to motion sickness - without full tracking you won't be able to stay in as long and beginners will have a much harder time (and of course you will want to demo your new treadmill to your friends!).
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
XCHDave
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by XCHDave »

GeraldT wrote:aside from the practical uses there is the not so unimportant relevance to motion sickness - without full tracking you won't be able to stay in as long and beginners will have a much harder time (and of course you will want to demo your new treadmill to your friends!).
This has never been a problem for me in dev kit 1. never felt sick and can stay in for hours :P

maybe it's just me and the most of the time I have spent in the rift has been playing games with verio or vorpx so the game feels normal without positional tracking.

I guess its different for everyone but just the rift dev v1 and omni together is still kick ass.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

zalo wrote:There are two threads about it already, but focused on specific features.

Also, MTBS is dying (or reverting to it's pre-rift state? doubtful).
Our web traffic has never been better (we use AWSTATS to check the server logs). The forum posts aren't rampant, but people religiously visit as much or more than they did before. It's an interesting behavior; I can't explain it. MTBS was always like that for some reason.

Regards,
Neil
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

I check other forums for fun and see the chatter, but this is where the important announcements worth noting seem to arise, and I find the quality of debate here is excellent.

Maybe people are doing the same thing, just checking in for anything noteworthy.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Falan wrote:I check other forums for fun and see the chatter, but this is where the important announcements worth noting seem to arise, and I find the quality of debate here is excellent.

Maybe people are doing the same thing, just checking in for anything noteworthy.
I disagree about the annoucements. To me, I see more news hit the oculus reddit forums faster than I see it here. However, mtbs is where I come to see more inteligent debate by more well informed people. :)
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

Drewbdoo wrote: However, mtbs is where I come to see more inteligent debate by more well informed people. :)
Nuh-uh! You're a poo-poo head!
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

xhonzi wrote:
Drewbdoo wrote: However, mtbs is where I come to see more inteligent debate by more well informed people. :)
Nuh-uh! You're a poo-poo head!
That made my day. :lol: :lol:
remosito

Post by remosito »

not exactly CES related, but this thread seemed the most recent thread where it'd at least partially fit

Palmer Luckey:
CV1 will meet or exceed the quality of Valve's demo.
CV1 will meet or exceed the quality of Valve's demo.

he later added:
Mentioned this in my talk at Steam Dev Days, hopefully it gets posted online soon.

I want to note that the Rift will not be designed for experiences that allow you to walk around a room like the SDD tech demo, but the specifications and quality will be above the baseline level Michael Abrash outlined in his talk. Valve's prototype hardware and software are very well integrated and calibrated, more so than the Crystal Cove demos we got together for CES, but the actual components are not all that different. All the pieces are there.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yeah, what he doesn't realize is that it's that walking and turning around part which made the Valve demo so incredible.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

blazespinnaker wrote:Yeah, what he doesn't realize is that it's that walking and turning around part which made the Valve demo so incredible.
He realizes that standing and sitting VR are qualitatively different experiences. He is talking about the technical performance of the device, so a better way you might express is that the goal of Rift is to match or exceed the seated experience of the Valve prototype.
Last edited by brantlew on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

brantlew wrote:He is talking about the technical performance of the device, so a better way you might express is that the goal of CV1 is to match or exceed the seated experience of the Valve prototype.
yeah ... ever since I was wondering if the displays in the Valve prototype have used their pixels wisely or wasted a lot of them. it was using two full-HD screens right? So to beat that you would need a really nice single screen for the Rift.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

brantlew wrote:
blazespinnaker wrote:Yeah, what he doesn't realize is that it's that walking and turning around part which made the Valve demo so incredible.
He realizes that standing and sitting VR are qualitatively different experiences. He is talking about the technical performance of the device, so a better way you might express is that the goal of CV1 is to match or exceed the seated experience of the Valve prototype.
I didn't realize that there was a seated experience with the Valve Demo. All the reviews I read talked about how they were walking around and doing stuff.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

blazespinnaker wrote:I didn't realize that there was a seated experience with the Valve Demo
Sure - but its BYOC (bring your own chair)

GeraldT wrote:yeah ... ever since I was wondering if the displays in the Valve prototype have used their pixels wisely or wasted a lot of them. it was using two full-HD screens right?
I'll let some of you observant guys judge for yourselves.

GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

yeah I have seen that picture too, but I am neither competent enough on optics to even make an educated guess what you can do nor have I seen any pictures that show the optics.
But from your post and palmers comment I am guessing that there is a big pixel waste going on ;)

Return to “Oculus VR”