A couple of suggestions

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

A couple of suggestions

Post by davidmi58 »

I think Vireio 2.0 is an excellent product and I salute the devs for all the work they did on it. I know that, right now, the main objective of the team is to add game support and fix bugs, as it should be. However, I do have a couple of suggestions that I would love to see implemented at some point.

1. Some kind of edge peek solution. In spite of Vireio's excellent GUI and HUD support, there are still some issues that an edge peek would help. I don't like having to use one but, the sad fact is, until we have more games with UI's that support VR, it is a necessary evil I am afraid.

2. Some kind of laser sight. In Skyrim, I cannot shoot arrows straight at longer distances. The crosshair in the game just doesn't work well for me.

3. Some way of moving the HUD closer to my virtual eyes without having it go wonky. In Skyrim, when I walk anywhere near another player or a door, etc. it is pretty distracting since the GUI tends to clip through the character. (Or maybe I am just not doing it right.)

Anyway, another big thanks to the Vireio team for all their hard work. Great job!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: A couple of suggestions

Post by Neil »

Hi David,

The lasersight is a no-brainer. We just didn't have enough time - it's on our roadmap though.

The HUD is harder because it's not a dynamic element. However, if you're playing Skyrim, try setting GUI 3D Depth to -0.020 in the GUI customization settings. We didn't have time to correct for that before release.

As for edge peak, we have something similar already - but it's not very good. It was a low priority compared to the other features. We can develop something similar.

Once certain high priority features are out of the way, the rest will fall into place.

Regards,
Neil
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidmi58 »

Neil wrote:Hi David,

The lasersight is a no-brainer. We just didn't have enough time - it's on our roadmap though.

The HUD is harder because it's not a dynamic element. However, if you're playing Skyrim, try setting GUI 3D Depth to -0.020 in the GUI customization settings. We didn't have time to correct for that before release.

As for edge peak, we have something similar already - but it's not very good. It was a low priority compared to the other features. We can develop something similar.

Once certain high priority features are out of the way, the rest will fall into place.

Regards,
Neil
Thanks for your reply, Neil. One of the best things about Vireio is how responsive you have been to users questions/issues. Much better than some of the "other" solutions and I own them both. Sure seems like the future is bright with Vireio!

When you said you had edge peek already, does that mean that it can be used in the released version? If so, how?
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Honestly, it really really sucks right now. It's not fully programmed even.

However, if you go to HUD options, there should be a "Full" setting. Something like that. I'd have to load up the drivers to find it.

Regards,
Neil
EisernSchild
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by EisernSchild »

Actually, it should work if you set the GUI setting to "FULL" in Skyrim. Did not test that now. Works for two shader rule types (modToApply=2 or 7) The rendering issues could possibly be fixed by setting the scissors test accordingly in DirectX.
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidmi58 »

Neil wrote:Honestly, it really really sucks right now. It's not fully programmed even.

However, if you go to HUD options, there should be a "Full" setting. Something like that. I'd have to load up the drivers to find it.

Regards,
Neil
Thanks for the info, Neil. I will let you all work on it and look forward to seeing it in a future release.
vertinox
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vertinox »

Yeah we need an edge peak and a zoom feature.

Actually a zoom feature would really be awesome since things are usually too small to read.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”