Can there be a virtual monitor option for Virieo?

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Nukemarine
One Eyed Hopeful

Can there be a virtual monitor option for Virieo?

Post by Nukemarine »

Is there a method so that we're watching the game on a virtual monitor using Vireio? Basically it accomplishes what VR Player did with 3D and 2D movies where you have a viewing area of a size and distance of your choosing which then displays the game with injected 3D. Looking around with the Rift is like looking around your monitor so the Rift does not control the ingame viewpoint.

Seems that such an option opens up the number of directx-9 games that can be played. The main games I'm thinking about are many 3rd person exploration games like Tomb Raider and top down god view games such a StarCraft II.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Can there be a virtual monitor option for Virieo?

Post by cybereality »

It doesn't support that right now, but I guess it's technically possible.
Nukemarine
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Can there be a virtual monitor option for Virieo?

Post by Nukemarine »

My guess is it'd be a variant of the 'peek' function like VorpX which I understand is on the back burner for Virieo until more important areas are taken care of. Still, hope there's a implement such an idea.

Also, Palmer Luckey mentioned that there are things in development by third parties (didn't mention in house) that utilize the virtual monitor or variants on the concept. Suggest its not a worthless idea to consider for Vireio if anything else.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”