Perception 2.0 + VRBoost: Bioshock

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Smith
One Eyed Hopeful

Perception 2.0 + VRBoost: Bioshock

Post by Smith »

So I downloaded Bioshock on Steam to give VRBoost a try, seeing as it was the only game between the included PDF's and the VRBoost rules that seemed completely supported by this release (see below). However the camera movement and the target are still coupled together. The documentation specifically states, "VRBoost makes it possible to use a game controller and the head tracker as separate elements." and, "When VRBoost is active: 1. Mouse control and head tracking are separate." I haven't done anything to "Activate" VRBoost. I've simply ensured it's supported and that the driver for it is in with the other drivers in the .exe folder. Something I'm missing?

The included VRBoost PDF says that VRBoost supports the following games:
- Skyrim
- Bioshock
- Fallout: New Vegas

The included VRBoost Rules (.mtbs files) are:
- Bioshock
- Left 4 Dead
- Left 4 Dead 2
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Perception 2.0 + VRBoost: Bioshock

Post by Neil »

The idea behind VRBoost is that it directly controls the game's cameras, and does so directly. This isn't a case where you can walk with one control, and look with another. The expectation is more like you can use the head tracking as the head tracker, but the mouse can be used for inventory and "mouse responsibilities" without the head tracker interfering with it. Normally the head tracker and mouse control are one and the same.

Regards,
Neil
Smith
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Smith »

Yes, I think I understand that. My goal is to use the mouse (and hopefully a gun controller one day) to target and shoot separately from my view. Example: My head with a rift on isn't moving, my mouse (gun controller) moves the target (cursor) independently to kill bad guys.
Ultimately my goal is to use the CTA Assault Rifle controller (with 2 thumbsticks), a move motion controller (mouse) as well as the rift all together. This would be to control the character location with the left thumbstick, the direction of character's body (and gun) are facing with the right thumbstick, and direction I'm viewing with the rift. To get there, all I need now is to have the mouse cursor free from the 'center' of the rift's view and moveable independently.
EisernSchild
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi !

I do not think Bioshock would support this. Could work for other games but presumably not for this.
Smith
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Smith »

Ya I'm not sure. However if the camera and target are separate components, which the VRBoost documentation seems to indicate, as well as that Cheat Engine can separate them, then my understanding is that that's exactly what the Bioshock.MTBS file should be for, am I right?
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

In the documentation we said : "It controls the game's camera." and "VRBoost makes it possible to use the tracker and the game controller as separate elements."

That means that we did not indicate the camera and the target as beeing separate components. If you can separate them in CheatEngine it absolutely would work for a game. But for BioShock we were currently only able to gather the pointers for the target view. If you find stable pointers for the player head camera in CheatEngine please post them here in the VRBoost section (http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=150).
Smith
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Smith »

Oh. Ok. So I must not understand the relationship between VRBoost and Vireio Perception 2.0. I'll describe what I thought, which might help figure this out. I thought:
- Vireio Perception 2.0 - outputs a 3d image with head-tracking
- Head-tracking makes current mouse functions of 'look' not necessary
- VRBoost would separate mouse from camera so that mouse would no longer control 'look' in a game
- If the mouse is no longer controlling camera, it must control the target (I now see this is an ambitious assumption)
- .MTBS files are profiles VRBoost used to work

Here is what I'm experiencing:
- Mouse still controls the camera 'look' in Bioshock

So combining that I have the following 3 assumptions to pick from:
- VRBoost isn't working (possibly isn't set up or activated properly)
- The .MTBS profile wasn't made properly (unlikely)
- I don't understand what the point of VRBoost is in the first place (based on where this conversation is going, I assume it's this one!)
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

First, to confirm VRBoost is working, try to point up and down with your mouse. If the game doesn't let you do that, then VRBoost is running properly.

There are a few advantages to VRBoost. First, in the Overall Settings menu (from within Vireio), there is an option to force Software Mouse. Try it. See how chunky it is? Notice that your mouse control (the arrow on the screen) and your head tracker are one and the same? All that inefficiency is due to one line of code.

When VRBoost is active, the mouse can still be used to turn quickly when you have to, but the latency is far lower (because we are using the actual game to do the heavy lifting), the head tracker no longer interferes with the game's mouse interface (and you need the mouse to point at and select items during the game), and we have reliable game controller support.

Lots of advantages.

Regards,
Neil
Rift_Astro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rift_Astro »

I think what you want (OP) is not really feasible. Having entirely independent mouse aim and head look.

Hawken does what I think is perfect, really well inthis regard. When you are looking forwards your head can look around independent of the aim, and the aim can move around on its own in the field of view but when the mouse gets to the edge of the field of view then the body of the avatar turns. So you can use the mouse to turn the avatar but in the direction you are facing the aim is independent.

If the mouse could not be used to turn the avatar then you would need to use keyboard controls to turn or you'd end up spinning around on your chair to turn your characater, which would take you away from the mouse and keyboard.

Try Hawken to see what i mean. It's free.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”