Virieo 2.0 causing skyrim immediate crash. Oculus Rift

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Mawnee
One Eyed Hopeful

Virieo 2.0 causing skyrim immediate crash. Oculus Rift

Post by Mawnee »

Trying to get this working with the Oculus Rift and Skyrim.

Anytime I have the perception app running launching skyrim causes a quick screen flicker and an immediate crash "Skyrim has stopped working".

This is a vanilla Skyrim install(did so yesterday so I could use tridef.)
I have tried all the steps on the FAQ page to no avail. I've tried running both perception and skyrim as admin. I have tried changing/enabling/disabling every possible setting on the skyrim launcher. I have tried every setting on the perception launcher including non Oculus settings and disabling head tracking. If perception is running skyrim wont.

Computer is
i5 3570
16gb ram
GTX Titan
Win 8 64bit
kieth890
Vireio Perception Developer

Re: Virieo 2.0 causing skyrim immediate crash. Oculus Rift

Post by kieth890 »

Dang, that's a tough one. What version of skyrim do you have (GOTY or original) and do you have any mods on it? What happens if you copy the d3d9 dll from Vireio's bin folder to skyrim's main game folder (same place exe is)?
Mawnee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mawnee »

Its base skyrim, though I think I have the two expansions. unsubscribed from all mods before reinstall. This is a steam install. Copying the Dlls made no change. :(

I'm going to delete and have it reinstall again while I'm at work tonight to see if it gets me anywhere.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

There might be a software conflict somewhere.

Please share your hardware specs, screens, OS, etc.

Regards,
Neil
Mawnee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mawnee »

I was just thinking the same. I'm going to test if its EVGA precision or my Logitech software(G19 keyboard) once Skyrim is done redownloading. Also running Avast antivirus, though it didn't throw any warnings suggesting it was involved. I hope its not precision as I literally cant run without it. My titan is bios flashed and has to be "downclocked" to 1175 for stability. =/

i5 3570@4.7Ghz(noctua d14 cooler)
16gb ddr3 1600
Asrock Extreme6 Z77
Win 8 64bit on 60gb SSD OCZ Vertex3
Games on 120gb SSD Kingston HyperX
EVGA Titan Bios flashed@1200Mhz(downclocked to 1175 using precision)
Logitech G19 keyboard
Razer Naga elite(don't even have the macro software installed for this)
3x Samsung syncmaster 27" 1080 monitors(only had one hooked up with the rift, cloned)
Neil

Post by Neil »

Rule EVERYTHING out.

Regards,
Neil
Mawnee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mawnee »

Skyrim finished downloading right before I left for work. I disabled the Logitech software, Antivirus and EVGA precision. No change. Launching the game with Vireio active causes an immediate crash. The window flickers for a split second like the game is going to launch and then it gives the error message. Without Perception active it launches fine.

My Oculus Rift works fine with Tridef and skyrim. So that rules out an issue with the OR.

I dont supsect my overclocks have an impact. Especially since they are non stop gaming/benchmark stable for many months :) Honestly the game doesnt even get far enough to load up the system. So it wont be a heat/voltage thing. And like I said I can run Skyrim fine with Tridef. So its been stress tested with the game and this style 3d(not to mention triple screen 5760x1080).

I WILL figure this out! :P
Neil

Post by Neil »

Triple screen, you say.

Physically disconnect all but one screen and the Rift. Also make sure CrossFire/SLI is completely OFF.

Also try rebooting your computer. If you are testing with TriDef, TriDef stays locked in Steam until Steam is completely exited. The above recommendation is probably the culprit, though.

Regards,
Neil
tyCo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tyCo »

I'm having the same problem you are, and I can't find a solution to the problem. Now i'm just refreshing this page in hope that you've finally figured it out!
Neil

Post by Neil »

tyCo wrote:I'm having the same problem you are, and I can't find a solution to the problem. Now i'm just refreshing this page in hope that you've finally figured it out!
Please post your hardware specs, drivers, etc.

Regards,
Neil
tyCo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tyCo »

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
16GB RAM
Geforce GTX 670
Windows 7 Ultimate
Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930
Logitech G500
CM Storm QuickFire TK Keyboard Blue
2x Philips 24" LED 247E4LHAB/00

I've tried disabling the Logitech software, disconnecting one of my screens.

If I have the Oculus Tracker selected in Perception the game will just flicker then crash to desktop. If I deselct the tracker the game works fine, but then I have no head tracking
Neil

Post by Neil »

Are you all in clone mode (not span) for the rift and screen?

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

If you are playing Skyrim, rename the "TESV.MTBS" file to something else in the VRBOOST_RULES directory so it isn't seen. If software mouse support works, then we will know what the issue is.

Regards,
Neil
Mawnee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mawnee »

Neil wrote:Triple screen, you say.

Physically disconnect all but one screen and the Rift. Also make sure CrossFire/SLI is completely OFF.

Also try rebooting your computer. If you are testing with TriDef, TriDef stays locked in Steam until Steam is completely exited. The above recommendation is probably the culprit, though.

Regards,
Neil
All monitors but one are always disconnected when I hook up the rift. The monitor is on my primary DVI output and the rift is going ot the HDMI.

Rift and Monitor are in clone mode
Neil

Post by Neil »

Do the *.MTBS rename I recommended above. Let me know what happens.

Regards,
Neil
Crispy_critter_studios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Crispy_critter_studios »

Having the same issue here. Hopefully this gets resolved soon. I am using an adapter to run the Oculus from the HDMI to DisplayPort. I can get in game when I have the headtracking disabled, but when I enable head tracking, it crashes as soon as I enter the game world. Menus are fine.

Computer specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2540M CPU @ 2.60GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System
AMD FirePro M5950 Mobility Professional Graphics
Memory Type: GDDR5
Windows 7 Pro with Service Pack 1
Mawnee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mawnee »

Neil wrote:Do the *.MTBS rename I recommended above. Let me know what happens.

Regards,
Neil
You bet, I'll give it a shot when I get home from work :)
Neil

Post by Neil »

One more thing. Are you guys running the latest Oculus developers kit software and firmware? They are at 0.2.5 currently. I don't know if this would have an impact, but just ruling things out.

Regards,
Neil
Crispy_critter_studios
One Eyed Hopeful

I may be wrong, but I believe that only matters for the people developing and not the end users as the Oculus is simply a piece of hardware that acts as a secondary monitor.
Crispy_critter_studios
One Eyed Hopeful

Ok everyone, I tested out and renamed the .MBTS file to TEST.MBTS and it worked. I can get in game, but I can't look up, down, left, or right, but I can roll (touching ear to shoulder).
Mawnee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mawnee »

Still no luck here, even with the file rename. :(

-EDIT
I figured it out! It WAS a program running on my PC. I keep PhonemyPC running on all the PCs in my house in hidden mode. It dawned on me this could be the issue when I was trying to work this out from work with my phone lol.

Thanks for all the help eliminating possibilities guys :)
Crispy_critter_studios
One Eyed Hopeful

Is anyone else having the issue that I'm having where you can roll your head, but can't look up down left or right? Any suggestions for that or do you think it is related to this problem?
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

I'm having this same issue in Bioshock (I appreciate that this isn't technically the topic of this thread, but it appears to be the same issue). If I copy the DLLs to the binaries folder then I get left/right eye separation and warping, but no tracking, only head roll. I can't run the Perception.exe at all, otherwise Bioshock just crashes on startup. Deleting the Bioshock.MTBS file didn't make any difference either. However Skyrim works just fine for me.

So, yes, I am having the same issue but with a different game.
mattyeatsmatts
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Crispy_critter_studios wrote:Is anyone else having the issue that I'm having where you can roll your head, but can't look up down left or right? Any suggestions for that or do you think it is related to this problem?
this is what happens for me also, dunno why
kieth890

Post by kieth890 »

mattyeatsmatts wrote:
Crispy_critter_studios wrote:Is anyone else having the issue that I'm having where you can roll your head, but can't look up down left or right? Any suggestions for that or do you think it is related to this problem?
this is what happens for me also, dunno why
Make sure VRBoost is in the bin folder with the executable. This might be a bug where if you don't have vrboost it only does head roll. We are working to fix this. This also could be something else completely, but I'd start there.
Crispy_critter_studios
One Eyed Hopeful

I got the head tracking working by going into the overall settings and changing the force mouse to true, but stopped working when I plugged a 360 controller in. Then it works again when I unplug it.
Neil

Post by Neil »

That's because you are turning VRBoost off by doing that, which means you are using the old "mouse look" functionality.

In the documentation, there is an explanation of how to correlate shader count and game config for VRBoost. This should help solve the crash issue.

Regards,
Neil
bronevaya
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bronevaya »

same problem with me. if I rename the file it works but only rolling my head. vanilla skyrim. connected via hdmi latest occulus firmware. desktop is cloned not extended. worked with the old perception :(
Neil

Post by Neil »

In "Overall menu settings" in Vireio, what happens when you make Software Mouse true?

Regards,
Neil
void24
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by void24 »

Just chiming in to say I am having the exact same issue. Have gone through all of the suggestion and still get nothing more than a screen flicker with the DLLs in the skyrim directory.
Neil

Post by Neil »

void24 wrote:Just chiming in to say I am having the exact same issue. Have gone through all of the suggestion and still get nothing more than a screen flicker with the DLLs in the skyrim directory.

Putting the DLLs in the Skyrim directory should be unnecessary. The only thing you should run is perception.exe and leave it open.

Make sure all your mods and extra installers are uninstalled and that bdeferredshadows=0 in all skyrimprefs.ini files (there might be two of them).

Regards,
Neil
rarewave82
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rarewave82 »

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem as mentioned above.

My Rift arrived yesterday and unfortunately can't seem to get Skyrim working with Vireio yet.
I did get it to work using tridef and the game launches as normal without vr drivers.

My specs:

i5-4670k
8GB Corsair 1866mhz
Nvidia Gefore GTX 760
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z87x-D3H
Win 7 x64 Ultimate
Perception version: 2.0.0.2

This is what I've tried..
Start vireio, set to Oculus Rift, Oculus Track
Start either TESV or Skyrim launcher and after skyrim desktop menu shows, hit play.

If the four dlls are not present in Skyrim bin folder, Skyrim launches as normal without rift support.
If I add the four perception dll files, I get an Instant CTD with error message, Skyrim has stopped working.

Before my rift came, this windows was used for games and FSX. FSX is set up correctly as per the setup guide over at simforums, UAC is switched off. I'm also using NVIDIA Inspector to force AA so that it's not application controlled in FSX (As far as I am aware this software should only be effecting FSX with that profile).

I have the perception folder in my root c:\ so that it has permissions and set to run as administrator when run.
Skyrim is a steam reinstall from a backup I made, I had 100s of mods running previously.
Both monitor and rift set to duplicate displays: 1200 x 800

I tried renaming TESV.MTBS to TEST.MTBS and still the same problem.

------

On a sepreate issue / pc... I quickly tried Dishonored on my bros PC last night and had the same problem. Instant CTD. Launched vireio and then launched dishon. in steam and got the same crash..

I'll keep working at it today, report back if I can figure it what the cause is.
Neil

Post by Neil »

At airport. Try setting software mouse to true in overall settings menu in vireio. This will help rule something out. If using tridef, completely exit Steam or Tridef will stay resident and conflict with Vireio.

We have a better vrboost profile in works.

Neil
rarewave82
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rarewave82 »

Hi Neil,

It appears to have been Comodo Internet Security.
I added Vierio as an allowed application but it still will only work if comodo is actually off, any ideas what I need to allow or un-sandbox, I don't see any related vierio files in the SB.
It runs well but obviously keeping Comodo shut down is a bit of a security risk.

Thanks
rarewave82
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rarewave82 »

Hi, just to confirm..

Turning UAC off stops comodo from asking permission on executables and setting the option to trusted. I imagine other antvirus will behave in a similar way. This has been why I have had many issues with getting anything to work.

It's working fantastic now, thanks for all your hard work with the drivers.

This is the first time I experienced proper 3d, never mind VR, so just had my mind blown by Skyrim!
Neil

Post by Neil »

This is a helpful discovery!

We obviously need to find a better way to exclude or ignore antivirus programs.

Could anyone else confirm that this fix is helpful?

Regards,
Neil
vertinox
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vertinox »

Hi its me again, but this time I seem to not be able to run skyrim with Vireio Perceptions running. It flashes and then goes away.

I'm using the Oculus SDK - 2.5c and the latest Perception drivers.

My hardware hasn't changed other than installing 8gb of ram.

I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium (in order to get the ram working). I did a clean format so I don't have any of the old software.

However, I haven't installed anything different from the old Windows vista other than new video card drivers. The Oculus seems to work with other games.

I don't have any anti-virus installed now actually.

Now I have 64 bit windows now but I installed the x86 C++ 2012 redistributable. I didn't install the 64 bit version even though I am running that.

I made sure that my monitors are in clone mode and that I setup the Oculus Rift SDK utility.

I'm at a loss at what to do at this point since I'm basically using the same hardware on a fresh OS install.

I tried renaming TESV.MTBS to TEST.MTBS and still the same problem.

L4D2 also crashes if that makes a difference.

Just tell me what information you need or steps I need to take and I'll be happy to try them.

[edit]

I found the solution to my problem. I was running my monitors at 1080p and for a hunch I thought maybe Skyrim was having a problem switching resolution so I set my resolution to 1280x800 and Skyrim started working!

Well its not as optimal as it was before I upgraded to Windows 7 because I did not need to change resolutions, but least it works.

I got some bad news for you but I'll post it in the other thread...
kayohem
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kayohem »

I get this issue too, as long as Vireio Perception is running, skyrim insta-crashes to desktop.

Running
Vanilla skyrim from steam, no mods,
Oculus DK2 on latest firmware/SDK/Runtime,
Perception 2.1.2,
All SkyrimPrefs set to recommended {
fShadowDistance=0.0000
fInteriorShadowDistance=0.0000
fShadowLODStartFade=0.0000
bDeferredShadows=0,
}

I tried:
- renaming TESV.MTSB to something else
- running with oculus/mainscreen both extended and cloned/mirrored
- running with oculus as only screen (I sometimes get resolution errors on startup with this)
- putting DLLs in the skyrim folder (64bit and 32bit)
- Perception Versions 2.1.1, Nightly Build 2.0.6
- Running skyrim in perception without the Oculus connected (Still CTD)
- Turning off Windows Aero

and I think most combinations of the above list.

I've also tried to run it on two different setups:

Macbook Pro (Late 2014)
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit (Bootcamp)
Intel Core i5 2.8GHz
8GB RAM
Intel Iris Graphics 5100
Solid State Drive with ~8GB free space
Note: This was a totally fresh install, no anti-virus, the only non-windows programs installed are Chrome, Steam, Skyrim, Winrar, Oculus and Perception

Dell Precision T5400
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
Intel Xeon Quad-Core E5410 2.33GHz
12GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 210 (Not a great Card but it runs Skyrim on low settings)
Note: Also no anti-virus on this machine, mainly games installed with some 3d software, plus same programs as above
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Before we go any further.. did you create a default profile in the Oculus Config Utility?, there's a bug in 2.1.2 and before that will cause a crash if it can't find a profile. 2.1.3 will have a fix in it for this, but in the meantime, please ensure you created a profile for yourself (you shoul dhave done this anyway to set your IPD etc).

If you'd already done that, then please run TraceSpy and get a debug log, it might hint at where the crash is occuring.
kayohem
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kayohem »

That's sorted it thank you! I'd forgotten to set it up when I downloaded the oculus runtime on these machines and I hadn't seen it anywhere else to remind me

Return to “Development / General Discussion”