VorpX Reviews

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

VorpX Reviews

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

I thought I'd start a VorpX review thread. Any takers?

If someone could put together a half-decent setup guide, we could even make it a sticky.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Re: VorpX Reviews

Post by cybereality »

I tried it on Crysis and Mirror's Edge. Seems to work alright. There were a few anomalies. Namely the shadows in Crysis were borked (but they are with other drivers too, so I guess it's just the game). Also, in some scenes in Mirror's Edge there would be a full-screen filter that was only visible in one eye (it was sort of like that Instagram retro effect, but only in one eye). Otherwise it seems good. 3D looked nice, I assume I was viewing the full dual render, I haven't tried the 2D+depth mode yet. I also didn't mess with the settings at all, so I'd like to test that too. So far it looks promising.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@Neil

Thanks for fresh review thread!
Best work :)

Hope this thread will flood with reviews soon :)
rmcclelland
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by rmcclelland »

This is the closest thing I have found to a review online so far:

http://martincaine.com/gaming/day_twent ... vorpx_beta

I expected more, since it has been out for a few days and apparently under high demand.
Lookforyourhands

Post by Lookforyourhands »

I know it's beta, but in it's current state it's terrible. Tridef is better at this point.
Using these drivers I actually felt ill using the Rift for the first time ever.
Neil

Post by Neil »

rmcclelland wrote:This is the closest thing I have found to a review online so far:

http://martincaine.com/gaming/day_twent ... vorpx_beta

I expected more, since it has been out for a few days and apparently under high demand.

I only bring this up because of the way the article is written (what's with all the out of date Vireio trash talk?!?). I remember his configuration problem with Vireio. All he had to do was press F6 to reverse the images, and he never issued a correction to his review when the issue was identified (by his readers, in fact!). I hope that when the new drivers are out and they are far easier to use and configure, he will give free open source a fair shake.

Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I didn't want to say anything before, but I did start feeling a little sick playing Mirror's Edge with VorpX.

I usually don't ever get sick in the Rift anymore, but I think cause the head-tracking was too sensitive (and not consistent on the X and Y axis) that it causes cyber-sickness.
MaterialDefender

Post by MaterialDefender »

Head tracking sensitivity can be configured in two ways. There is a distict "Headtracking Sensitivty" setting and it's also possible to smooth the head tracking to various degrees. Maybe that helps.

Here's a vorpX vs. DDD comparison (unfortunately in German). Bottom line: they call it a draw. I do strongly disagree of course. ;)

http://www.bloculus.de/vorpx-beta-vs-tr ... vergleich/

@Neil: In case you have an issue with me posting this link, just remove it.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Materialdefender wrote: (Unfortunately in German)
Aren't we in 21century languages are no more barriers, at least not on net...

http://translate.google.co.in/translate ... 6bih%3D596

That said, review is little biased..
but good one,must say near to kind of in-depth i was expecting here on Mtbs. :)
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

Good review both tridef/vorpx have there pros/cons.

Its kind of hard/unfair to do a review for Vorpx. Its still in beta and while Tridef's support is in "beta" its been around for many years. Though I guess that says something for the Vorpx that the results are comparable.
I'd love to see framerate results on a high end system of Tridef/Vorpx geometry modes. I am curious how either will handle when the resolution of the Rift increases for consumer. TBH, I think many users will have a hard time with Tridef. Its very hard to get a good frame rate on it [which is very needed].
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Sadly,no more reviews here :o ??
May be after release of full version we might see some movement here!
Catsaremygods
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Catsaremygods »

cybereality wrote:I didn't want to say anything before, but I did start feeling a little sick playing Mirror's Edge with VorpX.

I usually don't ever get sick in the Rift anymore, but I think cause the head-tracking was too sensitive (and not consistent on the X and Y axis) that it causes cyber-sickness.

Can I quote you on the phrase "cyber-sickness"?

Additionally, Does vorpx hold up to what they advertise?

Return to “General Discussion”