Who backed The STEM System ??

Discussion of tools and products that add VR physicality. Samples include VR treadmills, special hand controllers, gesture technology and more.
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Re: Who backed The STEM System ??

Post by Oneironaut »

Hadtstec wrote:I really don't know if the Consumer version of the Rift will come with its own Positional tracking. My feeling is that is might not and OculusVR will instead natively support STEM.
Thats my guess and only time will tell.
No sense in fragmenting the market like that. They must include positional tracking from the get-go in order for every title to natively support it, and they know that. Oculus are not stupid.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Oneironaut wrote:
Hadtstec wrote:I really don't know if the Consumer version of the Rift will come with its own Positional tracking. My feeling is that is might not and OculusVR will instead natively support STEM.
Thats my guess and only time will tell.
No sense in fragmenting the market like that. They must include positional tracking from the get-go in order for every title to natively support it, and they know that. Oculus are not stupid.
Positional tracking is pretty much essential, and Oculus have said many times it IS going to be in the consumer Rift. It's too important of a feature to omit.

Here's an interesting thought, though; if Sixense's STEM is accurate/responsive enough, perhaps Oculus could team up with them to provide the Rift's official positional headtracking. The Rift could ship with the STEM base station and 1x STEM tracker by default (to be inserted into the Rift), and then EVERYBODY would already have some of the STEM components. This would make the STEM system much cheaper for consumers (they would only need to add extra STEMs & controllers as they see fit) and most likely dramatically increase adoption. This would have the effect of creating a single common peripheral that devs can safely design for, and therefore dramatically increase the number of games with STEM support, leading to much more interesting VR experiences for us all.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Tbone
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tbone »

The problem is that adds $150 to the cost of the Rift (it's $99 alone for the base). Oculus stated recently that finding a positional tracking solution isn't the hard part - it's finding one that's affordable enough to keep them at their price point. As much as I believe there should be a unified positional tracking solution, I don't know if Oculus can afford to support such an expensive solution - at least not if they package that solution with the Rift.
mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mickman »

A wireless Stem Base ... cool !!!
Wireless STEM Base. We’ll add wireless communications between the STEM Base and the host computer. The wireless Base will be powered by a rechargeable battery with approximately 8 hours of play time (or A/C power of course). This means that you’ll be free to place the STEM Base away from the host computer, which can be very helpful if you are not playing at a desktop. Note that when the STEM Base is running on battery power, it will not charge Controllers or STEM Packs that are docked.
This would be such a great feature.. sure hope we make this stretch goal.
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
LukaszMMt1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LukaszMMt1 »

Stretch goals for hardware projects are not going to happen.

With software you add some more code and you just copy it over and over and send it to everybody. Adding something to hardware means that extra feature has to manufactured over and over and each unit costs extra money. I hope there will be no extra-feature stretch goals, because that will mean the end price will be higher.

EDIT:

What do you know... They did it. Good I'm getting is from KS not retail once it's out.
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

I am gonna back on KS before it is over. I didn't have extra at the time for early bird deals. I am still deciding if I should get 3 or 5 stem package. I didn't back omni so I may just get 3 pack but I like saving money so may get 5 pack. Thanks Sixense for giving me another tough decision.
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
usb247
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by usb247 »

Im thinking you want the 5 pack to have head, 2 hands, and torso.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

pizzy00 wrote:I didn't have extra at the time for early bird deals.
Kickstarter doesn't charge you until the time expires. :) Also, if the "early bird" offers are gone, just visit the kickstarter page frequently and keep an eye on the number of remaining early bird slots. Often people will change, or cancel, and you can sneak in there - despite it having been "sold out" weeks ago.
JoeReMi
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by JoeReMi »

LukaszMMt1 wrote:Stretch goals for hardware projects are not going to happen.

With software you add some more code and you just copy it over and over and send it to everybody. Adding something to hardware means that extra feature has to manufactured over and over and each unit costs extra money. I hope there will be no extra-feature stretch goals, because that will mean the end price will be higher.

EDIT:

What do you know... They did it. Good I'm getting is from KS not retail once it's out.

Aren't they still under 500k? The stretch goal doesn't kick in until 550 I think...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yes, they are still under $500K, but it's almost guaranteed they will make $550K over the next few weeks.
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

cybereality wrote:Anyone want to take bets on the final take? I'd say $1.3M.
hmm, I´d say $830,000
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Tbone wrote:
cybereality wrote:I backed for the $299, 5 STEM kit. This is going to be awesome.

Anyone want to take bets on the final take? I'd say $1.3M.
What was the final total for the Virtuix Omni? I feel like Sixense will do a little better than that, as it will appeal to the same people: VR enthusiasts with money to burn! Though I think more people are willing to splurge on Sixense than Virtuix.

The Rift was my pre-consumer purchase for the year. I'm saving up to get the consumer version of everything next year*!

*Assuming the consumer versions come out next year ;)
It's my case... we couldn't find a way to cost effectively ship the Omni to Argentina, so I had to pass on the Omni for now and went for the 5 sensor STEM bundle
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

RoTaToR wrote:
cybereality wrote:Anyone want to take bets on the final take? I'd say $1.3M.
hmm, I´d say $830,000
I'll up the stakes to 1.5M
Last edited by ftarnogol on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

700-800K

Probably around ~750K
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
hast
Cross Eyed!

Post by hast »

ftarnogol wrote:It's my case... we couldn't find a way to cost effectively ship the Omni to Argentina, so I had to pass on the Omni for now and went for the 5 sensor STEM bundle
I did that too. Shipping and imports to Sweden would have doubled the price on the Omni. (Which isn't that odd considering it's fairly large.)

I'm hoping that once it is released there will be places in EU that import them where you can buy direct.
LazloTheGreat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LazloTheGreat »

Looks like 1 single early bird reward for the $299 5-tracker bundle may have re-opened up, in case anyone who missed it earlier wants to snatch it up now while the snatching's good. :)
LazloTheGreat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LazloTheGreat »

LazloTheGreat wrote:Looks like 1 single early bird reward for the $299 5-tracker bundle may have re-opened up, in case anyone who missed it earlier wants to snatch it up now while the snatching's good. :)
Aaaaand it's gone. :)
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

LazloTheGreat wrote:
LazloTheGreat wrote:Looks like 1 single early bird reward for the $299 5-tracker bundle may have re-opened up, in case anyone who missed it earlier wants to snatch it up now while the snatching's good. :)
Aaaaand it's gone. :)
This is commonplace on kickstarter, and will continue to happen for the entire campaign. Just visit the kickstarter page often and there's a good chance you'll be able to get an "early-bird" slot weeks past them being "sold out".
RABID
Cross Eyed!

Post by RABID »

i backed the earlybird 5 stem system on day one. its gonna be a tough wait but not as hard as when i was waiting for the rift
fogwalker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fogwalker »

Backed with the three extra trackers.

I love the thought of not having to deal with all the wires with the Razer hydra.. I have ripped the base off the table a couple times.. and uppercutted the table once.
mickman

Post by mickman »

I'm no expert at magnetic sensors etc... but I'm wondering how hard if even possible is it for the development team at Sixense to up the Stem Control Base from 5 sensors to 6. it just makes sense to run with 6 sensors as this allows two players to use 3 sensors each... yes ?

WOW.. I just read the following
Sixense Stem System will be at Maker Faire New York this weekend (September 21-22) at the New York Hall of Science in Flushing Meadows, Queens, NY. (Maker Pavilion, Booth MP41)
I'm in N.Y till Sunday.. AWESOME ! I'll post a few pix here if I find my way to BoothMP41
Image Image

mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

BOLL wrote:Backed it a few minutes after it launched. Saw there were plenty of early-bird kits so I spent some time reading. Went for the $299 5x STEM kit, very good value as the separate components as addons sum up to $559 (39*5+49*3+59*2+99) :o and they throw in a T-shirt and a carrying case! w00t! Lets see what shipping ends up at. Also, hadn't watched the video until now, that was nicely produced! Nice to see lots of people :mrgreen: Awesome! And haha, kind of fun that I put down the pledge before even watching the video... that's how it goes when Kickstarting at work :D
Exactly the same story here. Made sure I read everything, but did watch the video.
I'm still skeptical they can fix all issues that the Razer Hydra has... but I'm betting it's going to be an improvement nonetheless.
Looking forward to 2014 - Day 1 of VR
mickman

Post by mickman »

Met a few of the creators of the Sixense Stem System today at the New York Maker Faire.

I was really impressed with the system & got to hold the prototype hand controller. It felt really comfortable & the stem itself is smaller then I originally imagined. There's a lot of debat going on whether to make the final product Black or white.. so have your say in the comments section on K.S. They're also still in contemplation as to the best button / joystick position for the controller.. ie. centred as per the Hydra or offset to the left or right.

They were running the MakeVR application in conjunction with a prototype stem system & from what I saw looks to be very precise.

p.s - While chatting to the crew they mentioned a new KickStarter goal, it's frickn awesome.... but out of respect I promised not to disclose the concept... should be up on KickStarter in a few days time anyways.
Image Image

Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

I think people that can't wait for things to come out shouldn't buy into hardware on kickstarter like the STEM, their time of release is highly unlikely, 2014, without regarding the fabrication plans, the 3d molds, shipping costs, it's close to 2015 March or late April. What Oculus did was amazing, but it still took more than 7 months. So if you can't wait and forget about it, don't do it, you'll be much happier not spending any money or frustration. Cheers!
LNQ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LNQ »

There are so many VR and motion tracking projects going on right now that I've signed myself out of it. The boom is in full swing and I've no clue which system is going to be the go to thing, so I'll wait until some of these projects reach consumer status, have game support and get a few reviews.

I'm really excited that there's so much going on now. Looking back at a year ago, we had just only finished the Oculus kickstarter. Will be exciting to see where we are in autumn 2014.
mickman

Post by mickman »

Stem system is poised to release right on time.... Sixense have it all sorted.... they'll push out the 1st 10,000 units around the same time Oculus Rift H.D consumer version is released... Why else do you think they've started their K.S now instead of say early next year... they know exactly how long it takes to get the unit into production etc... believe me they have it all sorted.

I can't wait to use Stem in conjunction with Make V.R .. that'll be an interesting combo.

Maker Faire N.Y 2013 ( Sixense were there )

p.s Here's a great KickStarter... called " Structure Sensor"
Check the video Link below ( Oculus Rift is used in the video for a cool 3D Scanner for iPad ! )

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/occ ... me_popular
Image Image

blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Interesting how it's gone into backing pause at 500K which is 2x the funding. Never seen it fall off this fast before.

I wonder how hard it would be to back your own kickstarter.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

blazespinnaker wrote:Interesting how it's gone into backing pause at 500K which is 2x the funding. Never seen it fall off this fast before.

I wonder how hard it would be to back your own kickstarter.
So close, yet so far from the $550,000 stretch goal!

BTW a guy in Reddit wrote that he went to the Maker Faire and heard that Sixsense was going to come out with a kick-ass new stretch goal. Does anyone know what it could be?

(Edit: I looked for the actual post but couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure the rumor wasn't a dream though.)
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Look 5 posts above you : )
"p.s - While chatting to the crew they mentioned a new KickStarter goal, it's frickn awesome.... but out of respect I promised not to disclose the concept... should be up on KickStarter in a few days time anyways."
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

virror wrote:Look 5 posts above you : )
"p.s - While chatting to the crew they mentioned a new KickStarter goal, it's frickn awesome.... but out of respect I promised not to disclose the concept... should be up on KickStarter in a few days time anyways."
Now that's embarrassing! :O

I feel like the guy who is looking for something all over the house, only to realize he was holding it in his hand all along.

Thanks for letting me know hehehe
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

I backed at the 5 stem early bird level, and I really left it to the last minute, there were only about 3 places available when I decided to jump in. And those vanished shortly afterwards, really cut that one close.

I've still got a SixSense wired controller sitting in its unopened box because i had ordered it just prior to the stem kickstarter. I really should get around to putting that up on ebay.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Ahhh.....

Big Update

Android & iOS Stretch Goal at $700,000
New $149 One-Tracker Mobile Bundle
Unlimited Five-Tracker Bundles at $299

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/895 ... 3c9933cb85
mickman

Post by mickman »

So what exactly is this ?? After looking closer it seems to be a marketing ploy to grab lower end buyers into a semi- V.R game yes ??

Does this new stretch goal feature actually add to the V.R experience ?? or is a grab at mobile users.. I sure hope I'm wrong about this... but I was under the impression Sixense were about pushing V.R forwards ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tW1bKC6JTI
STRETCH GOAL = $700,000, they will implement direct support for the STEM System on Android and iOS.

An updated Sixense software development kit (SDK) will support Android 3.2 or higher and iOS 6 and higher, allowing STEM System developers to bring Sixense motion tracking to a huge installed base of mobile devices.

Our video above shows a virtual camera application for which we’ve heard a lot of requests. The STEM System running on Android and iOS will enable applications like the virtual camera, or even the ability to turn a mobile device into a VR head-mounted display.

The Sixense SDK will provide both 32-bit and 64-bit builds to support iOS. For Android developers, the SDK will support both native code and Java. The SDK can receive data from the STEM System via wireless or wired connection.
I hope so much that I'm so wrong ... & I'm really hoping someone can confirm how this can be used in a more immersive experience.....
Image Image

blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Who backed The STEM System ? ( $700,000 STRETCH GOA

Post by blazespinnaker »

Nah, they just see the writing on the wall.
hast
Cross Eyed!

Post by hast »

mickman wrote:So what exactly is this ?? After looking closer it seems to be a marketing ploy to grab lower end buyers into a semi- V.R game yes ??

I hope so much that I'm so wrong ... & I'm really hoping someone can confirm how this can be used in a more immersive experience.....
If you want to use a current mobile device for "VR" then this seems like a good alternative. You don't get problems with lag in the same way as you normally would since the device doesn't cover your vision your peripheral vision helps you out in orienting you in the real world. It's also easier to "share" this experience with other people in the room with you as they can see your screen at the same time.

And since you only need one STEM tracker it would be cheaper to buy as well. (But at the same time getting you into the ecosystem and on the road to full VR.)

So in a way it's "poor mans VR", but OTOH it brings VR/AR/MR to a lot of currently existing devices. I can imaging something like the new Nexus 7 being a really great introduction VR/AR platform with something like this attached.
mickman

Post by mickman »

hi, it seems Oculus are moving int othe realm of mobile gaming... I notice they are recruiting for Android

Oculus are currently recruiting:
Mechanical Engineering
Systems and Drivers
Embedded Systems
Android and C/C++
Web Engineering
so I'm guessing that Sixense are well informed of the direction Oculus tend to move in... so hence Android skills are being sought after.

I'm wondering if they intend to create a HMD that runs on Android so this will allow them to introduce wireless V.R
Apple are already investing in this area since they recently took out a patent for an iPhone HMD style device that allows the user to simply slide an iPhone into a faceplate.

Maybe in months to come we may begin to see a real shift from traditional HMDs to mobile HMDs.

This all makes sense since the LCD screens currently being used are mobile phone screens & V.R in general seems to be following closely any mobile phone development that comes out over the next months.

Imagine if the consumer version of the Oculus Rift is merely a plastic head mounted frame with lenses & advanced tracking that simply allows a user to slide in a next gen. phone... I shudder over such a thought... please NO !
Image Image

blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

It'd be wireless and it'd have augmented vision capability.

Have you seen the specs on the iPhone 5s? 64 bit CPU + motion co processor for fine grained motion tracking.

Next gen phablet version of the iPhone could be all we need.
hast
Cross Eyed!

Post by hast »

mickman wrote: I'm wondering if they intend to create a HMD that runs on Android so this will allow them to introduce wireless V.R
Apple are already investing in this area since they recently took out a patent for an iPhone HMD style device that allows the user to simply slide an iPhone into a faceplate.
It's worth noting that that specific patent application was sent in on April 1st. And the drawings on the applications are physically impossible. The phone literally passes through your nose and other parts of your face.

They may still be working on something with HMD of course, but that particular patent is hopefully not it. :-)
mickman

Post by mickman »

The Convergence of V.R & Mobile devices.
Future Trends: Are Oculus & Sixense developing in-line with upcoming mobile trends ?
Sixense will, if not already, begin recruiting Android savvy engineers into its ranks, so their next gen sensors will communicate with mobile phones. I think there's going to be a very thin line between mobile & V.R displays... V.R itself may well be adopted by major phone companies. I presume this will be a positive direction for V.R in general as mobile devices dominate & it makes perfect sense for V.R to go mobile.... but I still hope companies such as Oculus Rift remain v.r purists & keep with a dedicated HMD.

Perhaps there'll be a massive move towards stripped down V.R apps that run on mobile. These apps will provide 6 dof & connect to 3rd party peripherals such as body sensors & haptic feedback devices. This makes sense since mobile is already moving into the realm of wrap around flexible screens. This is all pure speculation of course but governing the changes with more & more slide in style phone MHMDs it all makes perfect sixense :)
Image Image

blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

hast wrote:
mickman wrote: I'm wondering if they intend to create a HMD that runs on Android so this will allow them to introduce wireless V.R
It's worth noting that that specific patent application was sent in on April 1st. And the drawings on the applications are physically impossible. The phone literally passes through your nose and other parts of your face.

They may still be working on something with HMD of course, but that particular patent is hopefully not it. :-)
The patent is serious. There is no requirement for the diagrams (which are for illustrative purposes) need to be exact. Patents are for a range of embodiments which are described in the claims, and to have a picture showing every possible embodiment would be impossible.

Also, no company in its right mind would ever dick around with the patent office in a million years. Patents are the life blood for these companies.

Return to “Physical VR Tools”