Custom Build Cheap HMD?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Vermitax
One Eyed Hopeful

Custom Build Cheap HMD?

Post by Vermitax »

This is kinda brainstorming and probably stupid but i just think that it might be possible in the future, if not right away.

So here is the idea; since i and most of us already have a smartphone with a great screen and a pc, can we make our own headsets using the smartphone as a monitor for pc (there are applications for that) and than bending the application (meaning : creating a new one?) to make the image of the monitor 3d and using custom build HMD's with lenses bought online?

There is 2 issues when i think of it; one is that you cant use the headtracking unless you find a way to use your phone's or buy the device for it and add to your HMD. And other is obviously how to get the 3d image out of your pc via phone. So isnt that possible to just videostream your pc to your phone in real time with wireless connection and play at the same time with 3d output?
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Custom Build Cheap HMD?

Post by blazespinnaker »

Ahahaah.

Smells like astroturfing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Anyways, in case you're legit, do a search of the forums you'll find a Attreyu talking about this. Frankly, I don't think it's very doable nor particularly desirable - I prefer a wireless solution that just uses the smartphone alone, or perhaps a smartphone plugged into the rift (not sure how well that'll work though).

Vrase.com and Durovis.com and many other smaller people are working on smartphone + plastic + lenses solution that I like.

For a high end VR experience, you'll want the consumer rift + PC + GPU + etc when and if it comes out. Whether high end VR is really required for mass popularity remains to be seen.

BTW - right now though, I think a high end Sony smartphone is competitive with the DK+PC and all its screen door glory. Plus you get wireless to boot! The only thing you're missing is content (though you can watch movies + play Quake)
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
Vermitax
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Custom Build Cheap HMD?

Post by Vermitax »

Hi, thanks for your answer.

I found a smartphone program that lets you control FPS games on your PC via smartphone's gyroscope. Also another app for using your phone as a portable monitor. There are people playing games with it and i imagine lag isnt a big problem but didnt try it out yet. That app also have options to control your pc but i guess gyroscope would be sweeter. I dont know much about it but i guess there are some jailbreak options for true multitasking.

Well if i can learn how to get stereoscopic images from my pc i guess i could have a crude but funny experience.

I am not trying to take credit and by no means i am not denying the idea come to my mind from other's work, mainly from FOV2GO and Oculus. I am like a kid who is very excited because of a movie about going to moon and trys make his own spacecraft out of pillows in his home. I am also not saying this pillows will get me anywhere, its just quencing my curiousity with my limited supplies.

Edit : Oh VrAse is like this? I thought it just use our phone to watch movies and a handful of games. What i say is playing pc games on your phone but 3d.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”