Fallen asleep while in VR?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
devonhiee
One Eyed Hopeful

Fallen asleep while in VR?

Post by devonhiee »

I've been trying to see if anyone has tried this yet and what are the effects/results. Are you fooled that you are indeed in another world or do you wake up knowing it is just VR? Perhaps with the current model it would be obvious since it isn't a higher resolution but based on some reactions I have seen, I am eager to know what happens when you wake up with the VR still on your head.

I was thinking of doing this in Skyrim and falling asleep in one of the vast landscapes. However, I don't think that you can laydown in the game with the Oculus Rift yet so I don't think that would work.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Fallen asleep while in VR?

Post by zalo »

Just wait for the STEM and position tracking. I'm sure it will happen once we're able to untether ourselves from the keyboard/Xbox controller/hydra.

And it will happen all the time with a fully wireless system.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Good luck falling asleep with a headset strapped to your face.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

It's fully possible i think. Could be kinda cool with the tracker drift. You never know which direction you face when waking up. :P
Anyway don't recommend this since it would probably harm the rift.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Apparently the color blue wakes you up (associated with blue skies I suppose) and red doesn't wake you up (like a fire).

So in a dim red environment you'll probably have an easier time falling asleep. People managed to fall asleep with the Zeo.

After a 20 hour VR session, you're likely to fall asleep even if you have a snorkel on :lol:
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Kinda record maybe:
In the past i once fell asleep with my head inside a discospeaker (at the time i worked with sound and lightproduction with some other guys).
Had a tough week with my ordinary job and when friday arrived it was early cluck rising, work, getting home, shower, going to next city, load up the van with all the needed stuffs, drive to the place, rig to finally rest a little once the disco starts... Fortunately i was almost deaf already before that happened. :lol:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”