Stationary Unicycle Idea

devonhiee
One Eyed Hopeful

Stationary Unicycle Idea

Post by devonhiee »

The Omni is too big to fit into some places and is definitely not ideal if you live in an apartment complex. That and the addition of the shipping costs will make it even more expensive.

I've had an idea for quite some time around this. How about a stationary "unicycle" where you can run/walk while staying in place? You put your legs into braces on each side which allows you to duck and even jump (by pushing off of either om stationary foot pedals or by use of springs). You can turn sideways (swivel on the unicycle) by pushing off on a circular piece below your feet.

I believe I saw a concept awhile back but I am not sure. Does such a thing exist?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Stationary Unicycle Idea

Post by Fredz »

blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yeah, this would be cool. Now what we need is unicycle swag in TF2
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

the idea is great. but i think in this case less is more. Walking on the spot would be more comfortable
and natural.
i am so curious what Sony could present as an ODT in the future. Now since they made their R&D efforts public i think they have much more hidden in their labs.
about ODTs:
today i have concluded that a curved ball carpet in principle is exactly the same as a giant Virtusphere.
matter of time till one comes up with such a thing for a reasonable price.
Space in principle isnt such a big problem if the ODT is designed well and transformable.
folding a ODT in the middle like a mobile chess game could be helpful.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Check out this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFZ1QZYAUHM

There's loads more videos like it, too: http://www.youtube.com/user/korjjjj/videos
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

TheHolyChicken wrote:Check out this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFZ1QZYAUHM

There's loads more videos like it, too: http://www.youtube.com/user/korjjjj/videos
That's awesome. Definitely the future of ODT. Just need to get it to turn/crouch/jump somehow.
adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by adventurer »

That's awesome. Definitely the future of ODT. Just need to get it to turn/crouch/jump somehow.
that "somehow" seems nearly impossible with that kind of design. The cyberith look so much better, although it is not the perfect solution for locomotion. I guess with current level of technology, every design has some trade off: If player can walk naturally, then he can't have full body freedom. If he has full body freedom, he can't walk naturally!
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

The first thing I thought of when reading the thread title is that the leg movement should be elliptical not circular and lo and behold the aforementioned posts/thread.

I like the ball carpet idea but how I imagine it would require x&y axis sensors (like inside of an old ball mouse) for each ball. I think what would be best is omnidirectional roller shoes and a ceiling suspension that would sense rotation and crouching/jumping however that is far from feasible for most peoples homes.

One benefit of a suspension system is the ability to switch between seated driving/flying and standard upright simulation. I haven't yet seen a decent solution for the types of games that require you to switch between the two
devonhiee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by devonhiee »

I attached a rough idea of the concept in Paint.

There could be two sections of padding which the legs rest on (one for thigh and other for calf) which allows the leg braces to wrap around the front of the legs so that the player is secured.

The seating when standing does not touch the body. It only comes in contact once you lay back in a seated position which then swivels into a chair.

Thanks for the links to the videos. That's what I was referring to. The only problem is jumping and turning around. I think my idea is better at addressing these issues.
Leahy wrote: One benefit of a suspension system is the ability to switch between seated driving/flying and standard upright simulation. I haven't yet seen a decent solution for the types of games that require you to switch between the two
If I understand your posting correctly, games like Unreal Tournament, GTA and other games in the genre do have that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

devonhiee wrote:I attached a rough idea of the concept in Paint.

There could be two sections of padding which the legs rest on (one for thigh and other for calf) which allows the leg braces to wrap around the front of the legs so that the player is secured.

The seating when standing does not touch the body. It only comes in contact once you lay back in a seated position which then swivels into a chair.

Thanks for the links to the videos. That's what I was referring to. The only problem is jumping and turning around. I think my idea is better at addressing these issues.
Leahy wrote: One benefit of a suspension system is the ability to switch between seated driving/flying and standard upright simulation. I haven't yet seen a decent solution for the types of games that require you to switch between the two
If I understand your posting correctly, games like Unreal Tournament, GTA and other games in the genre do have that.
I meant that there is no decent solution of a simulator for those types of games which require switching back and forth, specifically to use a steering wheel when one is needed. Your idea might work but shoudn't the user be centered on the rotational axis? Any solution would require a bit of adjustment of the setup when switching but it's not like getting into a car and driving is as simple as pushing a button
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

adventurer wrote:
that "somehow" seems nearly impossible with that kind of design. The cyberith look so much better, although it is not the perfect solution for locomotion. I guess with current level of technology, every design has some trade off: If player can walk naturally, then he can't have full body freedom. If he has full body freedom, he can't walk naturally!
It's not impossible at all, just expensive.

Return to “Oculus VR”