Older version better than the latest?

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Scofthe7seas
One Eyed Hopeful

Older version better than the latest?

Post by Scofthe7seas »

Hello,

So my Rift is in the mail and I am hoping to get it pretty soon. But in anticipation I've been screwing around a bit to make sure I can get some stuff going right when it comes. Nothing like getting a brand new bike, and then finding you have to put it together, right?
Poking around a bit, I found a video of some dude that got Slender the 8 pages working with Vireio. I found this place, got the latest version, followed his instructions annnd.. It didn't work. It looked MESSED up. One half of the screen was all wonky/blur and the other was.. kind of ok? Not working. I tried it on a few other games (In SBS mode on my tv, just for testing) and I came to the same measure of "success" as with Slender. I looked in the profiles.xml and one is even already in there for S8p.
Finding this kind of odd, I went and checked the video again, and the guy has a link to the files he uses. So, I click on it and find it takes me to an older version of Vireio. I couldn't tell you exactly what version because as far as I've seen the version # is nowhere to be found, but the one that works is dated 5/3
The profiles.xml in the newer version is also A: missing a bunch of the games that were in the older version, and B: seem a lot more.. generic? Like all of the profiles seemed very similar though a lot of the ones in the older file seemed different. That might be nonsense, I didn't look too closely, but I did notice that in the older version "game_type" had a lot of different values, while on the new version they all seem to just be 10. Am I missing something here?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Older version better than the latest?

Post by cybereality »

The older versions have better compatibility. The latest version has new code, that's not really great for a lot of games.

There are some people trying to fix things now, so hopefully an improved version will become available soon.
EisernSchild
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Re: Older version better than the latest?

Post by EisernSchild »

Please note that you need to configure so called shader rules for each game/engine now. Without that, the new architecture does not work ! You find them in your "\Perception\cfg\shader_rules" folder. Also, if "worldScaleFactor" is not set (in the profiles .xml), there is actually no eye seperation.
We currently are on the ball to get IPD/convergence working, after that we will post a detailed tutorial on how to make games compatible to the new architecture.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”