Warning: Be careful using ginger!

2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Warning: Be careful using ginger!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I just discovered (the hard way) the very painful possible side-effect of ginger. :oops:

My doctor just said I have gallstones, and a gallstone probably got stuck in the tube leading from the gall bladder, which is why I had terrible abdominal pains for three weeks. (The pain is gone now, but I still have gall-stones).

Ginger is considered very suspect because it increases bile production. It's not unanimous that ginger is bad for gallstones, there is a minority that says it might be good for them, but it is definitely interferes with normal gallbladder operation in some way.

Remember, just because a drug is "natural", doesn't mean it doesn't have serious side effects, and doesn't mean it's not still a drug. Things that have an effect, usually have side-effects too.

BTW, my doctor had heard of the Oculus Rift and its kickstarter development kit. He keeps asking me about it. :)
mr.uu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Warning: Be careful using ginger!

Post by mr.uu »

I don't like ginger at all - so shouldn't be a threat for my health ;).
Sad to her you still have pain, hope you recover soon.
All the best!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yikes! I hope you get better.
mobiusdt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mobiusdt »

This is the first time I've ever heard someone refer to ginger as a drug, and I find that to be a bizarre way to think of it. Regardless, hopefully the pain is over and done with.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

mobiusdt wrote:This is the first time I've ever heard someone refer to ginger as a drug, and I find that to be a bizarre way to think of it. Regardless, hopefully the pain is over and done with.
The definition of "drug" is pretty vague and all-encompassing (from google):
A substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body, in particular.

It's essentially anything that you put in your body that has some kind of affect - even food could technically be considered a drug.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Ginger is supposed to be a great cure to seasickness, sometimes better than the dedicated medicaments at drugstores since those in general makes you very sleepy. Source: Mythbusters seasickness episode...
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “Oculus VR”