sixsense, new video

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Kamus
Two Eyed Hopeful

sixsense, new video

Post by Kamus »

Just figured i'd share this here with you guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxSZ0fk_ubA
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: sixsense, new video

Post by cybereality »

Cool, looks fun.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

nice, but to be honest. Wouldnt it be better to mount the stems onto the back of your hands and for grabbing use a thumb/index finger contact or even thumb/all different fingers input method to allow multiple input options. So basically a combination of STEM and very comfortable thimbles.
As Oculus' research already suggests walking on the spot is the best solution to avoid very common nausea. So i would forget the thumbsticks.
Basically pressure sensors would fit best to avoid unintentional finger contact inputs.
What do i need the sticks for when i can mount two STEMs onto my feet?
Why 5? If Oculus provides its own head posistional tracking , then Sixense's 5 STEMs would serve all basic bodyparts. Hands, feet and torso. :woot
JDuncan
Cross Eyed!

Post by JDuncan »

That's pretty cool. Is this as good as head tracking can be?
Krenzo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Krenzo »

JDuncan wrote:Is this as good as head tracking can be?
I hope not.
remosito

Post by remosito »

kickstarter coming soon according to their website!

awesome news!
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Krenzo wrote:
JDuncan wrote:Is this as good as head tracking can be?
I hope not.
Why what's wrong with the head tracking in that video?

Looked pretty accurate with low latency and no jitter.
Krenzo

Post by Krenzo »

It's still a consumer focused (aka cheap) magnetic based tracking system. I suspect it's going to have the same issues as the Hydra in terms of accuracy and latency. I'm also confused why they're advocating strapping a joystick to your head. Where's the clip on head unit that people were speculating about?
remosito

Post by remosito »

Krenzo wrote:It's still a consumer focused (aka cheap) magnetic based tracking system. I suspect it's going to have the same issues as the Hydra in terms of accuracy and latency. I'm also confused why they're advocating strapping a joystick to your head. Where's the clip on head unit that people were speculating about?
first prototype would be my guess as to the why!
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Krenzo wrote:It's still a consumer focused (aka cheap) magnetic based tracking system. I suspect it's going to have the same issues as the Hydra in terms of accuracy and latency. I'm also confused why they're advocating strapping a joystick to your head. Where's the clip on head unit that people were speculating about?
Yes it's consumer focussed so you have to accept that unless you want to spend $4k (ish) on a pro tracker.

As said it's a prototype in the video however if you look at the the press release you'll see they do have the clip on receivers in the image, that's likely to be the focus of the Kickstarter.
remosito

Post by remosito »

Tactical Haptics guys about the STEM:
Tried out the Sixense STEM tracking system today.

It's got great range and appears to be much more accurate than the Hydra.
when asked about range the replied:
estimate 8 to 10 feet from base
wireless, 5 points, more accurate and way better range!

STEM is sounding better and better!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”