Interesting "mirror"

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
mediavr
Two Eyed Hopeful

Interesting "mirror"

Post by mediavr »

I got one of these magnifying mirrors at a thrift store for a couple of dollars.
http://www.owneye.com.au/

It is expensive to buy it new but it is interesting in its optical properties I think. It is in fact a concave/concave (meniscus?) lens with a mirror backing. Put it up to your eye and you see a
highly magnified, extremely clear, extremely wide angle, view of your eye. If you make a hole in a postcard
and hold it to your eye and look at the mirror you see that it has a very wide angle view with pincushion distortion with flat focus and no color
aberrations. You could make a strange kind of wide angle 3d viewer out of two of them where you looked at
3d pairs of images and you would see your eyes peering around in the middle of the scene :-)

You can see that the back of the mirror is silver, not painted opaque so you could use it also as a high quality
front surface mirror for 360 panoramic photography.

PeterM
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Interesting "mirror"

Post by android78 »

WTF:
Aust $195.00 no tax

They really must be kidding with that price. You say that you got yours for a couple of bucks? Are you able to take some photos of what you've got at different angles to show us what you mean?
mediavr
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mediavr »

android78 wrote:WTF:
Aust $195.00 no tax

They really must be kidding with that price. You say that you got yours for a couple of bucks? Are you able to take some photos of what you've got at different angles to show us what you mean?
it is a sort of "Mangin mirror" I think
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangin_mirror

PeterM
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

That looks like you typical parabolic bathroom mirror.

But did you know you can get magnification effects by putting a fresnel lens up to a mirror?
mediavr
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mediavr »

zalo wrote:That looks like you typical parabolic bathroom mirror.

But did you know you can get magnification effects by putting a fresnel lens up to a mirror?

The glass is thicker than found on a standard small mirror -- on the site it says "Roy eventually brought in a lens expert to further develop and refine specific purpose lenses. The result now is the ingenious, patented, and revolutionary Own Eye TM Magnifier, using the specially developed very powerful mirror lens" --

which is hardly scientific terminology -- but I think it is a real lens -- it looks too optically perfect not be made from a lens blank by grinding, polishing etc

PeterM

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”