Does it make sense to paint a wall white or maybe even silve

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
SebastianJu
One Eyed Hopeful

Does it make sense to paint a wall white or maybe even silve

Post by SebastianJu »

Hello,

i have an optoma gt750xl and im using it in a normal lightorange wallpaper. Now im asking myself if painting the wall in a clear white or even silver will bring a better image.
Is it worth it or not? I guess the light orange will have a slight effect to turn the colors to orange.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Sebastian
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Does it make sense to paint a wall white or maybe even s

Post by Likay »

It will work. However, if there is a structure on the wall it will be visible and perhaps disturbing. Silverpaints are usually used for polarized projection rigs. The gain with silverpaint will probably result in a little higher than pure white but also increased hotspotting. So if you use a standard projector, then go for a matte white.
A standard projectorscreen is not a bad thing since more or less all of them will look better than any painted wall.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
SebastianJu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SebastianJu »

I wouldnt like a projectorscreen so much because normally i use 4m diag and a screen in this size would be expensive.
So silver isnt ideal. Matte white means dull white? So more gray instead fully white? And using a wallpaper without surface irregularities... ok. But why a darker white should be better sounds strange to me.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

A matte white is still white, not gray. You do not want a screen with a reflective/lustre surface. So your intuition is completely right. ;)
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I think the point of a matte white as opposed to a shiny white is because you want an even scatter of light off the wall as opposed to reflection, which would give you terrible specular reflection looking back into your room (and depending where you sit, you'd see the projector lens reflected to which would be blindingly bright, depending how reflective the paint is).
If the colour of the wall has a tint then the image appears as if you have one of the colours set too high in your picture settings and can often be compensated for using the projected colour settings, however you will end up with a lower brightness of the image then if you had a white wall to begin with. Basically this would mean turning down all the colours that are reflected off the wall at a higher brightness to match those that are reflected at lower brightness. I had a slightly pinkish wall once and had success with this method, but it was a very light pink anyway.
SebastianJu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SebastianJu »

Thanks for the tips... ill think ill try it with a matte white then. Im already in the state of creating curtains with light stopping fabric. It will stop all the light from the sun. I noticed that the sun really can take the fun of it so i hope that will be the solution. I bought this: http://amzn.to/15S21RY and then all the stuff needed to move the curtain later. Its a bit work but im sure it will be rewarding.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

My Advice to you from one who seen countless people who tried to use paint whilst it may look OK it is not an optimal solution..

I would reccomend buying a Screen that is made for Projection.. Paint is less then an optimal solution.. Or look into the correct "Paint" option in the form of ScreenGoo
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I have that projector. I just use it on a standard white wall, it looks fine.
SebastianJu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SebastianJu »

It looks fine for me too. Only when the sun is hard its not so good but for that im in a process of building sunblocking curtains.
Mostly i want to paint the wall for the projector because the room is in a very light orange. I believe it changes the colors of the image so i tend to paint the wall white.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

SebastianJu wrote:It looks fine for me too. Only when the sun is hard its not so good but for that im in a process of building sunblocking curtains.
Mostly i want to paint the wall for the projector because the room is in a very light orange. I believe it changes the colors of the image so i tend to paint the wall white.

Well Another Alternative is "Black Widow" what is that you ask well scurry over to AVS and find out Pics in there to of the screens used with it:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/994372/black-widow/0_60
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by xhonzi »

I have a painted silver screen. It's "Silver Fire" from AVS. I really dig it and it cost me about $50 instead of $2k for 130".

It's silver, but it doesn't maintain polarity. That's a reflective/refractive deal that you can look into if you like.

Prior to the silver, I watched it on white primer for a year or so. It was pretty good, but the silver is better, IMHO. Projectors add light, and can't take it away... so however black it is with the projector off is as black as it will get.

I'm generally pretty happy with the paint, however you have to be really good at painting to get a good result. There are a couple of places where I have extra texture due to the way I used the roller. Basically, I need to repaint it better. It's one of those things that I notice, but my family and guests don't seem to.

Especially if you plan to do 3D, any 'texture' or irregularity will be more obvious since it will always be at screen depth and will make things that are not at screen depth look odd.
SebastianJu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SebastianJu »

Yes, i often watch videos in 3D. Its greater than in cinema i think.

The paint sounds good and cheap. And when i plan to paint anyway it looks like a good solution.

How did you paint it? I will have the screen as big as possible since i have enough space for it. I could theoretically get a 4m diagonol. What do you think what amount of paint would be needed for that and did you paint it with a brush or a painting roller?

Im not sure about the irregularities. At the moment i have such woodchip wallpaper so its not really plain. Till now it didnt disturb me very much but i guess its better to take that away first before painting.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Here's some info about my own tests with silverpaints (however i did it in purpose to test the polarizingpreserving properties). The results with bought spraypaint was surprisingly good! Different nuances of the silversprays gave different screengains.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... =40#p45634
This was by using spraypaints with a price of just below 10$ a can. I sprayed a rollercurtain directly on the surface. I had to spray over the surface a few times to get a somewhat equal finish. If my memory doesn't fail me, i think used up about 5 cans on a 100" screen. I sprayed on the more "plasticlike" side of the rollercurtain since spraying on the textile probably would require more paint as well as most probably would not give the same finish.
So the price: IKEA rollercurtain TUPPLUR (50$) + spraypaint (5x10$)= appr 100$. Other paints are probably cheaper.

In your case it might actually be possible to use one of these curtains as a screen directly if you aren't too picky. The size of the ones from ikea aren't as big as 4 meters though.
SebastianJu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SebastianJu »

Thanks for the tip with the spray. I think it would be the best solution. But i would not like to use a rollercurtain since its too small. I have a big wall in the living room i want to use so that i can get a real huge screen. So i would spray it directly on the wall. Probably using painting untensils to make the edges sharp.
Im not sure yet if i have to put down the wood chip wallpaper or if it wouldnt matter. I use it on that wallpaper now and i dont see real trouble coming from it. Though i dont know if a pro would see something.

Return to “3D Projectors”