Oculus Rift at Six Flags Park

jpcaron
One Eyed Hopeful

Oculus Rift at Six Flags Park

Post by jpcaron »

I went to "La Ronde" amusment park (Montreal) yesterday and there was a new attraction; they got a bunch of Rifts for different type of simulations. You could step on a plateform, grab a gun and do a war simulation. Or else, sit and grab a steering wheel for a race simulation. There was 2 other simulations but I can't remember them. Didnt got a chance to ask how much it cost. Do anthybody have some information on who is running this attraction and who developped these simulations because I never saw those before.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Oculus Rift at Six Flags Park

Post by MrGreen »

Wait what?

They have actual Oculus Rifts as an attraction? Here?

T'es tu fou crisse!

:shock:
jpcaron
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jpcaron »

Je sais, j'étais flabergasté!!!

Unfortunately, I haven't got the chance to take pictures. I'll take some next time I go. But this made me actually thought about the purpose of the Dev Kit; to develop content for the device and to allow as many people as possible to touch that technology... but is it OK to charge money for the experience? When you think about it, the Rift isn't a product... yet!
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Wow. Other people are moving fast!
How did the gun game handle movement of the player? IE, was there a ODT, a button/stick on the gun, what?
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Sacrebleu!

remember the gaming places that allowed people to come in and play racing games, and so on? They'd pay maybe $10-20 each, for an evening of fun with their buddies?

That kind of business may return, for a short while.

I thought of that one on the first day that i understood the rift was the real thing.

Open up a spot with about 10 Rifts in stock, and get people in there, paying for a bit of fun.

The problem emerges with the dizziness and nausea, then people trying to drive away afterward.

Very important to say this clearly, up front, before immersion.. with signatures on paper that acknowledge the situation.

To make 1080P units from devkits, before they are released and open up a storefront.

Probably make good cash for about 3-6 months, before people can easily buy their own. hell, sell them right there, for oculus.

Be like Mary Kay, work your way up to that Oculus Cadillac. ;)
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

From http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewto ... 7#p1321627

"we've learnt that from mid-June, a virtual reality system, synchronized with the layout will be sold at the ride."

From http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewto ... 2#p1323162

"So as I reported before, La Ronde is testing a virtual reality system on Goliath. It seems that SixFlags might want to develop it afterward."
998770_281162578696611_2130472780_n.jpg
Immersion Coaster à La Ronde :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Immersio ... 2082031328
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

Awesome! I've wanted to do this for so long!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Is the chin strap really necessary?
Zoide
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Zoide »

It also seems a bit nasty to deliberately cover the "Oculus" branding on the headband with orange tape.
LuckyLu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LuckyLu »

cybereality wrote:Is the chin strap really necessary?
Yes, to keep the mouths closed when they are going riftard :lol:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Ha!!!
Runbmp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Runbmp »

yeah its almost in bad taste. I mean they could of easily left some sort of Oculus plug there to promote oculus rift since their utilizing their dev kit.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Wha... what? What is going on here:

A simulation that syncs up with the g-forces from the rollercoaster would just be.... :woot :woot :woot
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Also, I'm thinking the chinstrap is so it doesn't come off when you go upside down on a loop
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

cybereality wrote:Is the chin strap really necessary?
Um, Yes
http://bit.ly/10U7VjE
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Ah, I didn't realize it was a roller coaster. I thought it was just a motion seat.
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

I don't get it.
You wear a VR helmet which simulates the ride you are currently on ?

This is worse than the people who travel hundreds of miles to see an event, often even camping outside and then when things start happening they watch it all through the viewfinders of their camcorders or on the backs of their phone. I mean FFS. It's like paying for the hooker and then having a w...
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

It's simply like a 4D ride experience in a 3D dome, people already pay (much) for that, never been to Soarin' ? Here instead of using moving chairs with low g-force and a limited FOV, you've got the real sensations of a roller coaster and a (supposedly) 360° FOV.

Looks like a good idea to me. Now it would be interesting to know how it was implemented and how it does feel.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

It's probably a reverse simulator, he's probably viewing a person sitting in a chair infront of a pc so a reversal of the rift coaster demo
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

I actually find this interesting. What you see in the Rift could be yourself in a spaceship, submarine, aircraft and not just a roller coaster. You could be travelling through any kind of envionment, just as in simulators. I think the biggest problem could be that the ride is very short while the setup time might be too long to push lots of people through :P I'd still want to try it though, if it's well made.

Actually... if the ride is fairly consistent between sessions you could even have a pre-rendered 360-stereo video that you looked around in, but that seems harder to pull of :P would be cheaper to drive though, I think. Looking forward to reading more about this :3
shole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by shole »

Now this could be really awesome if they realize the potential.
Some kind of air combat would be my first attempt.
Liftoff, some dogfighting and then a soft crash landing at the end.
Being a passanger in a wild car chase could be cool too.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

If they could match up the actual G-Forces you are feeling to exaggerated motions in a virtual space that could be amazing. Like being shot out of a tunnel into space or spiraling through an asteroid field.

Could be a pretty crazy experience.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

zacherynuk wrote:I don't get it.
You wear a VR helmet which simulates the ride you are currently on ?

This is worse than the people who travel hundreds of miles to see an event, often even camping outside and then when things start happening they watch it all through the viewfinders of their camcorders or on the backs of their phone. I mean FFS. It's like paying for the hooker and then having a w...
:| Where is your imagination?

I'm much more excited about this after I saw the guy on a rollercoaster with a Rift on. The possibilities are huge. They can use the g-forces of the rollercoaster and match them against absolutely any visuals they desire. A heated spaceship dogfight, for example. Could be fantastic, especially with those rides that have those "launch starts" instead of the more standard slow climb.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

This really could be insanely cool. Not unlike the virtual rides at Universal Studios and elsewhere, but way more intense! It can also be used to ease the anxiety lots of people such as myself experience (and hate) while slowly climbing to the top of a rollercoaster, by displaying something less nerve racking - like moving towards the surface of an ocean, etc. It can also be used to keep rides feeling fresh by offering numerous different experiences - flying through space, mountains, unique worlds. So many possibilities.

On a technical note, I'd like to see how they handle head tracking, since all the movement must wreak havoc on the Rift's IMU.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Yes, free your mind to the possibilities. Imagine a simulation where you are riding a dragon through the siege of a castle that is mimicking the coaster.

Return to “Oculus VR”