Oh Your God, this is amazing!!

2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Oh Your God, this is amazing!!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

My Rift just arrived!
I didn't bother trying to use the right lenses, I just took off my glasses and put it on.
The first thing I tried was the C++ Tuscanny demo.
:woot :o :shock: :o :woot :D
As soon as I put the Rift on, I was actually there! I looked around the room, and looked down at the floor, up at the ceiling, at the walls... And it was amazing! Then I looked forward, and noticed my computer had completely disappeared! My whole desk was just... gone! I didn't walk around (because my keyboard had vanished), I just sat for a while soaking it in.
I've used the VR920 before, and that sort of gave me the feeling that I could look around by looking around. But this was something else entirely! This was like teleporting. I'd been following this for 10 months, and I knew on an intellectual level that it was supposed to be great, but I didn't expect it to be THIS good!

Then I called my girlfriend to try it. She was equally amazed and impressed, although she complained when I accidentally walked her into some objects :-)

Then I put Parrot Coaster on for her. She loved it. But she wanted it to go faster (is there a key for that?). Then I tried it. It had some of the effect of a real roller-coaster, but it wasn't as terrifying as if it was real (I wouldn't have gone on it if it was real).

My girlfriend complained of a slight headache and motion sickness after using it though.

Then I tried the Sixense Tuscanny demo, but I couldn't get it to work, because like all Sixense products, it stupidly asked me to calibrate by pressing the TRIGGERS (and only the triggers work). My right trigger broke within the first month, and I could never get a replacement or repair. So it is physically impossible for me to calibrate. Most people's triggers on their Hydra break. Also I couldn't read the instructions without my glasses.

BTW, all that ginger may have helped my stomach not be nauseous but it didn't stop my head from feeling motion sick when I tried the Sixense Hydra demo and started walking around. Especially when I looked sideways while walking forwards.

Now I need to choose which of the 150 other demos to try. :-)

Then I'm going to have to go and show this to my parents!
Inscothen
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Oh Your God, this is amazing!!

Post by Inscothen »

It's been awhile since I've used my Hydra but I always had the wands on the base to calibrate then pick up the wands. Am I not remembering it correctly or does the Hydra demo require the trigger calibrating method?
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Gee about time you got your damn Rift! What took you so long? :lol:

The Tuscany demo from the latest SDK has much more eye candy and sounds.

You'll wanna try Alone in the Rift, standing up, with your Hydra and headphones. :twisted:
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Awesome!!!

Yes, I agree. Try Alone in the Rift.
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

I suggest you try out that one Doom 3 thingy that some dude was working on a while back... forget who that was... Lolz
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

IGameArt wrote:I suggest you try out that one Doom 3 thingy that some dude was working on a while back... forget who that was... Lolz
I think that was Carmack. :P And then tmek. ;)
Anyway, I'm going to my parents house now to show them the Rift.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Awesome to hear you have FINALLY received your Rift 2EyeGuy.

Try RiftCoaster, I prefer it to Parrot I think.
I also like First Law (just for the cockpit), Heli Island, the VR theatre, and the 360 degree video demo is quite nice as well.

EDIT: Zombies on the Holodeck! Give that a shot!
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

Meh, zombies is so buggy, the camera gets seperated from your body. For me the best experience is either half life 2 or minecraft :)
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I just tried Doom 3 BFG... WOW! Carmack wasn't kidding about it being amazing on the Oculus Rift. And I really liked my own improvement of looking down and seeing my body. I take back all the bad things I thought about Doom 3 BFG edition. It is now 100 times better than the original Doom 3. I'm glad I stuck to my guns and used my $20 to buy Doom 3 BFG, and made it work.

It's a very different feeling from just playing it on the PC screen. It is so cool to actually be in Mars City. The architecture is so interesting in VR, but so boring on the PC screen.

I have to fix the walk speed though. It makes everyone sick. And I'm not sure the FOV is right.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Titans of Space will knock your socks off. And then of course there's HL2 :woot
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

Once you get your vr legs, about a week or so of regular use, things like movement speeds wont be much of an issue for you anymore.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

:lol: @ threadtitle! Now i'm really curious. I've sworn to wait and get the consumerversion but will i be able to due my time that long?
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Bleppe
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bleppe »

Likay wrote::lol: @ threadtitle! Now i'm really curious. I've sworn to wait and get the consumerversion but will i be able to due my time that long?
The consumerversion won't be out for atleast a year. You might aswell give in like the rest of us :D
Now if they only could deliver mine before I go on vacation it would be great, but I don't have my hopes up.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

2EyeGuy wrote:My Rift just arrived!
I didn't bother trying to use the right lenses, I just took off my glasses and put it on.
The first thing I tried was the C++ Tuscanny demo.
:woot :o :shock: :o :woot :D
As soon as I put the Rift on, I was actually there! I looked around the room, and looked down at the floor, up at the ceiling, at the walls... And it was amazing! Then I looked forward, and noticed my computer had completely disappeared! My whole desk was just... gone! I didn't walk around (because my keyboard had vanished), I just sat for a while soaking it in.
I've used the VR920 before, and that sort of gave me the feeling that I could look around by looking around. But this was something else entirely! This was like teleporting. I'd been following this for 10 months, and I knew on an intellectual level that it was supposed to be great, but I didn't expect it to be THIS good!

Then I called my girlfriend to try it. She was equally amazed and impressed, although she complained when I accidentally walked her into some objects :-)

Then I put Parrot Coaster on for her. She loved it. But she wanted it to go faster (is there a key for that?). Then I tried it. It had some of the effect of a real roller-coaster, but it wasn't as terrifying as if it was real (I wouldn't have gone on it if it was real).

My girlfriend complained of a slight headache and motion sickness after using it though.

Then I tried the Sixense Tuscanny demo, but I couldn't get it to work, because like all Sixense products, it stupidly asked me to calibrate by pressing the TRIGGERS (and only the triggers work). My right trigger broke within the first month, and I could never get a replacement or repair. So it is physically impossible for me to calibrate. Most people's triggers on their Hydra break. Also I couldn't read the instructions without my glasses.

BTW, all that ginger may have helped my stomach not be nauseous but it didn't stop my head from feeling motion sick when I tried the Sixense Hydra demo and started walking around. Especially when I looked sideways while walking forwards.

Now I need to choose which of the 150 other demos to try. :-)

Then I'm going to have to go and show this to my parents!

Brilliant mate 8-)
I never get bored of reading first impressions, the excitement oozes off the page :lol:

Good stuff :)
danielbln
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by danielbln »

Try Delta Draconis with a gamepad, thank me later.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

danielbln wrote:Try Delta Draconis with a gamepad, thank me later.
I second that. It's fantastic and seems pretty unique as the control system really includes a nice feeling of inertia :)
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

2EyeGuy wrote:[...]
I have to fix the walk speed though. It makes everyone sick. And I'm not sure the FOV is right.
Be careful with that, as it could break certain enemys and boss fights.
Aside from that, walking speed shouldn't be a big problem after a few days in vr.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Valez wrote:
Aside from that, walking speed shouldn't be a big problem after a few days in vr.
There's a run button.

I woke up this evening (I was up all night last night, so I had to sleep in the day), and my eyeballs hurt. :shock: I think they must have touched the lenses or something. I hope I haven't permanently hurt my eyes. Now I've moved the faceplate out a bit.

RiftCoaster doesn't seem to work. It's in 2D.
LuckyLu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LuckyLu »

For Doom3 set fov to 92, it seemed to cause the least distorsion on turning. Up/down neck model needs some love too, as well as plasma gun that gets in your face.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

LuckyLu wrote:For Doom3 set fov to 92, it seemed to cause the least distorsion on turning. Up/down neck model needs some love too, as well as plasma gun that gets in your face.
The problem with the up/down neck model, is that there is an actual visible model that has it's own animations. So when the option is set to show the player's body, I have to match the camera movements to the visible movements of the neck in those animations (which is different for every weapon), otherwise it looks horrible. In many of those animations, Doomguy bends mostly from the waist.
When the player's body is not shown (with the console variable), I think I use the original neck model that Carmack was using, or something similar, where he bends from the neck.
So it's not actually a single neck model that I'm using, but several different ones.
LuckyLu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LuckyLu »

Or you could just keep it simple and use the default neck model provided by Oculus, should be better to keep things consistent for the player to avoid sickness rather than having a perfect match with the model. Most of the time you focus ahead rather than looking down at the body so the inconsistencies should not be that much of an issue.

PS: look into a in game mirror, you will notice something odd with the rift on now :)
Last edited by LuckyLu on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

Glad you got your Rift. I second the HL2 recommendation, enjoying playing through that again.
I still need to try out Doom 3 BFG though.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

@ IGameArt: Zombies on the Holodeck has major issues with the Hydras, but I find if I put the Hydras on a pedestal, about 2' high, then the arms etc are the correct length etc most of the time.
I've successfully played it to level 20 or so.

That said, every time I play it, I have to fool around getting the arm length right by moving the pedestal etc.
mickman

Post by mickman »

RIFT ROVER
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0x2vqsvz2bgi705/AnsP9PKQcf

is fun :) Terraform a planet !!
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Never heard "Oh your god" before by the way. I'm definitely gonna use this. :)
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

2EyeGuy wrote:
Valez wrote:
There's a run button.

I woke up this evening (I was up all night last night, so I had to sleep in the day), and my eyeballs hurt. :shock: I think they must have touched the lenses or something. I hope I haven't permanently hurt my eyes. Now I've moved the faceplate out a bit.

RiftCoaster doesn't seem to work. It's in 2D.
Note: the following is poorly written.

I also have had eye strain from using the Rift. I've had the same sort of eye pain in the past from the game Terraria. It is probably from looking too long in one direction without much eye movement.

To avoid waking up with pained eyes in the future, before going to bed, move your eyes around extremes, cycle them around the edge of your vision, etc. Do this for a while - your eye muscles should feel like they are being "stretched" from this.

edit: I'd like to note I've almost had the opposite reaction to the Rift in terms of "being there." Not once have I really felt like that. I hope that a better display and positional tracking will help with this.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I haven't had any pain, but i did get one point where my eye felt like it was 'stuck' and unable to easily switch focus back. Lasted about 30 seconds.

The fact it was at the end of the work week, and i'd had little sleep, could have contribued.

Return to “Oculus VR”