which eyecups yield the greateat FOV

mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

which eyecups yield the greateat FOV

Post by mayaman »

Just curious as it seems some people think A and others think C
Last edited by mayaman on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Re: which eyecups yield the greateat FOV

Post by zalo »

A gives you the most screen coverage, while C magnifies the screen more so you see less of it.

This is because C is closer to the screen (it's shorter).

Also A is closer to your eye so it covers more of your vision. More of both kinds of "FoV".
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Ah ok thanks
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Also, because the C cups spread about half as many pixels over your full FoV, the individual pixels appear much larger, making the screendoor effect (black area between pixels) much more apparent. You still stop noticing it though, when you get sucked into the game. But fine details are even harder to discern with fewer pixels such as provided by the C cups.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I think A cups are the best in general, but I use B cups so it can fit nicely with my glasses.
fsoul123
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fsoul123 »

With the "C" cups a big part of the image is lost. In some games this is not so important, but in other applications I find it a big difference with "A" cups (mostly in video players and games that put messages or information in the part of the screen that I can't see with "C" cup). Could be this corrected with any kind of software (general for all applications) that adjusts the wraping so we can see the whole image with any lenses? Also the pixels look so big with "C" lenses.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Love the A cups but the C cups are so much sharper. Been diffusing with the plastic sheet so I think I may move to the B cup. So far, I'm liking that its sharper than the As, but not as SDE as the C cups.

Has there been any development on the 1080p panel being sourced and hacked into the DK by a regular user?
godofallcows
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by godofallcows »

I feel really immature reading this and giggling.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Must. Resist. Googling. D cups.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I just posted this at OculusVR, but I think it should go here too.

There have been a lot of discussions comparing lenses in the forums at OculusVR and at MTBS3D. What was most useful, I think, was an image that shows the difference in FoV between the different lenses. I will copy that image here:

1280x800 image, for viewing in the Rift DK:
regions.png
When you rotate your eye to look at an edge, your eye pupil gets closer to the edge of the lens which then blocks part of your peripheral vision at that edge. But that gives you more lens surface between your pupil and the OPPOSITE edge of the lens, so you have more peripheral vision is the direction you are NOT looking.

The magenta area is what almost nobody can see with the standard lenses. But when pressing the Rift face mask against my face to get a little extra FoV, I can see a little magenta out of the corner of my eye when looking AWAY from it.

The darkest area is what many people can see when looking forward or away from the edges (depending on face shape, and how close the lenses are to your eyes). For maximum FoV, many people (including myself) report that their eyelashes brush the lenses, while using the long A-cup lenses. However, for many people, the A-cup lenses reduce focus because of a very narrow sweet spot that may not allow both eyes to be in good focus at the same time.

The brightest area is what people see with the short C-cup lenses, or perhaps when using the Rift adjusted according to the Valve recommendation (lenses farthest from the eyes).

The blue area is what some people see with the B-cup lenses.

These things will vary depending on how the Rift fits your face, where it is positioned on your face, and how close your eyes are to the lenses. But the image above gives a good general approximation of what you can expect to see in your FoV.

Games that put black pixels in place of the magenta are are fine, because it is very rare that any of those black pixels would extend into my FoV.

Games that put black pixels into the darkest area shown above annoy me greatly, because a black border extends annoyingly into my peripheral FoV on the sides when I look in the other direction, like moving blinders. I hate that. It is disgustingly annoying.

Note to developers: PLEASE render out to the inner edges of the magenta area shown above. For performance reasons, you may ALLOW people to reduce that, or perhaps you can automate the FoV reduction when the framerate gets too low on deficient computing hardware. But do not impose such limits on me, okay? Thanks! I and others who choose to use maximum FoV (perhaps sacrificing best focus) will love you for it.
;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

Geek,
Do you actually loose focus before the light between from the pixels remove the screen door effect completely?
I am using A cups, and as much as I would love the HD upgrade the screen door is not at all whats bothering me. I know focus is lost near the edges, but to compensate I automatically move my head more, of course I also move my eyes. But at least in the center I do not believe focus is lost enough that it is bottlenecked at the lens, but rather the resolution it self.

Oh it gets me excited to even think about playing HL2 with a HD Oculus and 1:1 tracking of the weapons with the Hydra.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Going to an optics lab this week to have them make me larger A cup lenses. I want to see as much as I can and get as great a FOV as possible. Want to see if its possible to make the lenses concave instead so I can get my eye even closer.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Ziggurat wrote:Geek,
Do you actually loose focus before the light between from the pixels remove the screen door effect completely?
I am using A cups, and as much as I would love the HD upgrade the screen door is not at all whats bothering me. I know focus is lost near the edges, but to compensate I automatically move my head more, of course I also move my eyes. But at least in the center I do not believe focus is lost enough that it is bottlenecked at the lens, but rather the resolution it self.

Oh it gets me excited to even think about playing HL2 with a HD Oculus and 1:1 tracking of the weapons with the Hydra.
I only get pretty sharp focus with A-cup lenses for one eye at a time, even though my IPD is very close to 64mm. Others have complained of this too. The sweet spot is extremely small on the A-lenses. But maximum FoV is the most important for me. Even the pixels slightly blur together when both eyes are equally focused. The bigger problem is vertical alignment. I and others have reported that we need to press the A-cups into the underside of our eyebrow ridges to find the sweet spot (lens optical axis).
yunti
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yunti »

geekmaster wrote:I only get pretty sharp focus with A-cup lenses for one eye at a time, even though my IPD is very close to 64mm. Others have complained of this too. The sweet spot is extremely small on the A-lenses. But maximum FoV is the most important for me. Even the pixels slightly blur together when both eyes are equally focused. The bigger problem is vertical alignment. I and others have reported that we need to press the A-cups into the underside of our eyebrow ridges to find the sweet spot (lens optical axis).
I don't understand how you get sharper focus for one eye at a time? That sounds incredibly weird. Wouldn't it be both lenses are either both poorly focused or not (depending on the cup).
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

yunti wrote:
geekmaster wrote:I only get pretty sharp focus with A-cup lenses for one eye at a time, even though my IPD is very close to 64mm. Others have complained of this too. The sweet spot is extremely small on the A-lenses. ...
I don't understand how you get sharper focus for one eye at a time? That sounds incredibly weird. Wouldn't it be both lenses are either both poorly focused or not (depending on the cup).
The lens IPD does not exactly match my eyes, and those lenses have a very narrow sweet spot (best focus). I can use my hands to push the Rift a little to the side on my face, to shift a lens center over one eye at a time. The eye that views through the lens optical axis gets the best focus. I compromise with both eyes slightly off-center, which makes them both a little out of focus. When posting, I thought "even though my IPD is very close to 64mm" would be enough of a hint to explain that. Oh well, more details explicitly given this time...
Kazioo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kazioo »

geekmaster wrote: Games that put black pixels into the darkest area shown above annoy me greatly, because a black border extends annoyingly into my peripheral FoV on the sides when I look in the other direction, like moving blinders. I hate that. It is disgustingly annoying.

Isn't that exactly what VorpX is doing? Are you farsighted?

This is an explanation form the author:
You can scale the masks up until they touch the screen borders if you really want to. But almost certainly you don't. Trust me. :) This is only needed for far sighted people, if at all.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Kazioo wrote:
geekmaster wrote: Games that put black pixels into the darkest area shown above annoy me greatly, because a black border extends annoyingly into my peripheral FoV on the sides when I look in the other direction, like moving blinders. I hate that. It is disgustingly annoying.
Isn't that exactly what VorpX is doing? Are you farsighted?

This is an explanation form the author:
You can scale the masks up until they touch the screen borders if you really want to. But almost certainly you don't. Trust me. :) This is only needed for far sighted people, if at all.
I am near-sighted, and the comment about scaling up the borders is wrong, unless you have under-powered hardware and need to limit the render size to get a faster frame rate. That comment makes me wonder if VorpX is a pig that cannot support a large FoV even on newer hardware. It says "trust me", but does not say WHY to use such a restricted FoV. Also, your FoV has nothing to do with your eyeglass prescription, so that "far-sighted" comment is just plain wrong.

Why trust somebody else's unsupported personal opinion? We each have different personal preferences. Try it yourself and use whatever suits you the best for your needs.

The VorpX screenshots would annoy me greatly with their tiny FoV, and although it has been reported that this is adjustable, that "trust me" comment makes me wonder...
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

(On Vorpx)Software is not the best method to convert anyway for performance.

Oculus has the money now, no reason it can't be this easy(easy for the customer! not easy for the rift developers).

Warp Convert Switch

on/off

Right on the box. This isn't 3d convert here, warping is warping hardware warp is probably better to be honest. Some people have all ready done hardware warping for movies via the camera. VorpX I was excited about til I found out about the low FoV and performance. Let's hope it gets better.

Note, I know hardware convert does not give you 3d, does not need it then--just run game in normal 2d/3d mode.
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

Direlight wrote:(On Vorpx)Software is not the best method to convert anyway for performance.

Oculus has the money now, no reason it can't be this easy(easy for the customer! not easy for the rift developers).

Warp Convert Switch

on/off

Right on the box. This isn't 3d convert here, warping is warping hardware warp is probably better to be honest. Some people have all ready done hardware warping for movies via the camera. VorpX I was excited about til I found out about the low FoV and performance. Let's hope it gets better.

Note, I know hardware convert does not give you 3d, does not need it then--just run game in normal 2d/3d mode.
I think VorpX has potential, and its still quite some time before the Consumer version of the Rift is released.
That being said, Vireio also has potential :)

My biggest problem with the two is how they dont decouple the view and the aim :( Maybe this is possible in much the same way as they rotate the screen? I don't know the first thing about Direct X programming. I would enjoy a Lynda video of Direct X if they ever made one. (or maybe I'd rather like OpenGL because I am a *nux user at heart)

Return to “Oculus VR”