Mirrored vs. Extended

ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Mirrored vs. Extended

Post by ElectroPulse »

EDIT: Updates here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 21#p138621

Hello, all!

I was doing some reading about whether I should use my Rift mirrored, or extended...

It sounds as though there are some issues with mirrored, and that extended would be the way to go.

So, I'm wondering... How much worse is mirrored vs. extended? My Rift will be arriving sometime this evening, and when I get it all set up, I'm planning on having my family there to see me try it out for the first time. It'd be nice to have something for them to see, other than me just sitting there with my mouth hanging open ;)

So what would be the best solution for that?

Thanks!
P.S. Another question I have: I asked this in another thread, but in case it doesn't get answered before my Rift gets here... Is there a difference between the Tuscany demo offered in the Oculus SDK, and the one offered on Sixense's website? (found here: http://sixense.com/sixensetuscanydemo)
Last edited by ElectroPulse on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Re: Mirrored vs. Extended

Post by Ziggurat »

I always use mirror on my laptop. Its so much easier to handle. Only time I use extended is when I use the Oculus Overlay on some flash videos without the barrel distortion. But Its so cumbersome to move the applications on the right spot in the rift.

The difference with the Sixense Tuscany demo is that you can use the Razer Hydra for hands, and pick up stuff.
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

Ziggurat wrote:I always use mirror on my laptop. Its so much easier to handle. Only time I use extended is when I use the Oculus Overlay on some flash videos without the barrel distortion. But Its so cumbersome to move the applications on the right spot in the rift.

The difference with the Sixense Tuscany demo is that you can use the Razer Hydra for hands, and pick up stuff.
Thanks for the reply!

Yea, I'm going to be doing it on a laptop as well... I think I'll go ahead and give mirrored a try.

Ok, so the Oculus demo doesn't support the Hydra? I'll definitely go for the Sixense one then. Thanks!
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

Bonjour ElectroPulse,

I had my rift for more than 2 month now.

Regarding the extended/mirrored mirrored is your easiest solution, some application will start on your primary monitor, and so not on the oculus, it could be troublesome sometime.
> mirrored.

On my side as i am using 4 screens i bought a box that mirror a display source.

Concerning the Tuscany demo you should get both !
When demoing to people I use both : the normal one first and then when they are used to the Oculus experience, I get them to the next level of interaction : Hydra.
Otherwise it is too much for them to master. Especially if they are not gamers !

Even for you at a start, as the Hydra need some reset and calibrating (easy to do) it will ease your introduction into VR. Start small and step it up after.

Have fun in VR !
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

I'll simply paste a post I made in another thread on the same topic:

Joe Ludwig at Valve measured extra latency when cloning your display and said it should be avoided. If you really want to duplicate your display you should use a splitter. Pain in the ass you say? Damn right you are­.

What I do now is simply extend my desktop to the Rift.
  • For Unity games: Select the .exe, right-click and create a shortcut. Right-click the shortcut to get the properties and add -adapter 1 to the command line. Assuming your Rift is the secondary display. It starts at 0...
  • For UE3 games: Pressing F11 cycles the displays.
  • For Source games: They should detect your Rift properly and launch on it.
It sucks when demoing your Rift to friends but other than that it works fine and it's hassle free. No extra latency, no tearing and you can use Windows normally on your main screen at whatever crazy resolution your monitor supports.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Good tips (and link) MrGreen, thank you!
Direlight
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Direlight »

This unit looks good for use with Rift and other displays.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Sp ... pd_sim_e_3

Edit, on official forums guy said on windows 7 you hit windows key + p and can switch fast that way without a splitter or using mirror mode (unless you chose that).
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

MrGreen wrote:I'll simply paste a post I made in another thread on the same topic:

Joe Ludwig at Valve measured extra latency when cloning your display and said it should be avoided. If you really want to duplicate your display you should use a splitter. Pain in the ass you say? Damn right you are­.

What I do now is simply extend my desktop to the Rift.
  • For Unity games: Select the .exe, right-click and create a shortcut. Right-click the shortcut to get the properties and add -adapter 1 to the command line. Assuming your Rift is the secondary display. It starts at 0...
  • For UE3 games: Pressing F11 cycles the displays.
  • For Source games: They should detect your Rift properly and launch on it.
It sucks when demoing your Rift to friends but other than that it works fine and it's hassle free. No extra latency, no tearing and you can use Windows normally on your main screen at whatever crazy resolution your monitor supports.
Interesting, thanks for that. I currently have the Rift as my primary display, and the other screens two cloned from it (yes, running two screens + Rift all showing the same image), but I thought I was ok having the Rift as my primary display as far as latency goes. However, using my monitor for games was causing me discomfort due to tearing and odd jittering, so already had incentive to change the Rift to be extended, but I was procrastinating as the prospect of learning how to manage the applications properly was off-putting. Your little list of shortcuts I think will push me over edge :P
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

Thanks for the replies!

I went ahead and just used the Sixense demo for the Tustcany Demo.

The order of games I tried:
Tuscany Demo
Riftcoaster
Titans of Space
VRCinema
Minecrift
Dark Field
Heli Hell

Went through all those without a problem... Absolutely no motion sickness! :woot Today I'll determine whether that was because of the ginger capsule, or just that I'm not prone to this kind (I'd imagine the latter... I've only ever had motion sickness for things that I'm actually in MOTION. Never for just seeing something moving).

Return to “Oculus VR”