Probably bad news... no more cheap hydras?

Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Probably bad news... no more cheap hydras?

Post by Lilwolf »

http://www.woot.com/plus/razer-gaming-accessories-4

They didn't even have a few cheap and sell out... Just none were offered.

I was hoping to buy a second one, so I could hack the controllers... sigh...
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Probably bad news... no more cheap hydras?

Post by zalo »

Or it's good news if Razer is making a new hydra and stopping production of the old one.
iarehuuman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iarehuuman »

Razer is doing a little giveaway for whoever guesses their upcoming product (to be announced on June 25, 2013) @ http://www.razerzone.com/razer-hyped-up
The banner w/ a 6dof hints that it is going to be the Hydra V2. So yeah, I would enter the contest if I were you guys for some free loot :D
FR3D
Cross Eyed!

Post by FR3D »

wireless hydras would be great - and mandatory for the omni (wireless oculus rift too) ...

best regards FR3D
best regards FR3D
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

So it's great news! I would be all over a wireless hydra with extended range (and a controller design that makes more sense).

Maybe they're doing this "contest" to get people to tell them what their next product should be.
iarehuuman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iarehuuman »

zalo wrote: (and a controller design that makes more sense)
I agree to this fully. I have relatively small and feminine hands and the current hydra just feels giant and clunky, uncomfortable for extended use
Evenios
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Evenios »

they should make a newer one thats not too pricey that has less drift or what.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

iarehuuman wrote:Razer is doing a little giveaway for whoever guesses their upcoming product (to be announced on June 25, 2013) @ http://www.razerzone.com/razer-hyped-up
The banner w/ a 6dof hints that it is going to be the Hydra V2. So yeah, I would enter the contest if I were you guys for some free loot :D
YESSS!

Thanks! That made my day!

Yeah, I had a really f*cking shitty day.
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

I do hope that they have a whole bunch of extra handles then, and sells them separately. I would love to hack a set into an older arcade gun, and the other into something easier to clip to the rift or shirt.

*(and yes, I would love for the wireless hydra to be released. I'm just worried that it will be bigger / heavier / harder to hack)
Fredrum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fredrum »

Evenios wrote:they should make a newer one thats not too pricey that has less drift or what.

Yes that would be super great.
This is great news if it is indeed new Hydras.
Does anyone have opinions on whether the technology/method they are using is improvable in terms of accuracy?
While keeping costs reasonable of course.
RABID
Cross Eyed!

Post by RABID »

well it looks like they have already made one:
Published on Aug 7, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEbwgDel6lk
remosito

Post by remosito »

Hydra V2 with improved latency, range, drift. Wireless and supporting up to 12 receivers. 2 controller ones for hands, 2 legs, 2 knees,2 elbows, hip,torso, neck and head (all just receivers, no controllers,small)

Make it so and I won't care about price ;-)
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

They've had wireless hydras for a while, they just aren't publicly available. Plus, they're bound to be more bulky with the batteries and ADCs. I do like that video with the joysticks more toward the middle. That resonates with me and my small hands.
Krenzo

Post by Krenzo »

Here's some trivia: One of the lead engineers who designed the Hydra works at Valve now.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Razer VR-Gloves or Razer tracking camera
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

remosito wrote:Hydra V2 with improved latency, range, drift. Wireless and supporting up to 12 receivers. 2 controller ones for hands, 2 legs, 2 knees,2 elbows, hip,torso, neck and head (all just receivers, no controllers,small)

THIS ^^^

Although I'd be happy with just 3 receivers (hands and torso) :)
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

Sold out on the Razer web sit too. For version 2 in addition to being wireless I'd be happy for them to announce a head tracking clip on for the Rift.
I'm curious as to what percentage of people who ordered a rift also ordered (if they didn't already have) a Hydra. I was always hesitant up until I started reading about the Tuscany Hydra reviews
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

remosito wrote:Hydra V2 with improved latency, range, drift. Wireless and supporting up to 12 receivers. 2 controller ones for hands, 2 legs, 2 knees,2 elbows, hip,torso, neck and head (all just receivers, no controllers,small)

If you want all of this (low latency,wireless,long range,no drift,lot of receivers on your body) and don't care about price, Xsens has a solution already, just drop a few thousands dollars at them :mrgreen:

Bleppe
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bleppe »

Looks like there are no Hydras in the whole of Sweden :(
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Not sure i would like a wireless hydra since it will probably add latency, weight and size to it.
A new Hydra would be great though!
remosito

Post by remosito »

crespo80 wrote:

If you want all of this (low latency,wireless,long range,no drift,lot of receivers on your body) and don't care about price, Xsens has a solution already, just drop a few thousands dollars at them :mrgreen:
Lol! Should have specified "Razer consumer/enthusiast" range price.
Meaning 3 digits...

Base with 2 Hand controllers same or below V1 non-discount price. Plus 50 or so per additional tracking only receiver...
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

virror wrote:Not sure i would like a wireless hydra since it will probably add latency, weight and size to it.

I'm pretty sure latency would be insignificant and it shouldn't be larger than a Wii-mote or a PS Move controller right?

It has to be wireless. No point in releasing another wired Hydra. This one works well enough.
Dan_Sixense
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dan_Sixense »

All of those performance variables like latency are dependent on the types and quality of components used in the controller/base. With higher performance (lower latency) comes higher cost of goods.

There are many many other factors in the equation as well, but my point is, nothing is set in stone performance-wise; it's all a matter of how much you want the product to cost.

I'm not confirming any of the theories in this thread, just contributing some information I thought you might find compelling.
Dan Paullus
Art Director
Sixense Entertainment, Inc.
www.Sixense.com
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Dan_Sixense wrote:I'm not confirming any of the theories in this thread, just contributing some information I thought you might find compelling.
iarehuuman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iarehuuman »

Dan_Sixense wrote:I'm not confirming any of the theories in this thread, just contributing some information I thought you might find compelling.
So.... Would $100 USD change your mind? ;)
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

iarehuuman wrote:
So.... Would $100 USD change your mind? ;)
$100 was what the Hydra cost when it first came out. Want an improvement with wireless?
I'd pay $180 for a good wireless hydra with extended range (and optional extra wireless trackers).
iarehuuman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iarehuuman »

zalo wrote: $100 was what the Hydra cost when it first came out. Want an improvement with wireless?
I'd pay $180 for a good wireless hydra with extended range (and optional extra wireless trackers).
You've mistaken what I said; the $100 was a bribe to leak information. Was a joke.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

I'll for sure get a wireless version if that's what comes out. At least VR controls are getting made now, purpose built for PC.

Thinking about that alone indicates new market creation is imminent.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

They've had wireless hydras for a while, they just aren't publicly available. Plus, they're bound to be more bulky with the batteries and ADCs. I do like that video with the joysticks more toward the middle. That resonates with me and my small hands.

I seriously doubt it's a battery issue as you could just make it use an induction charger, so you just set it down and it charges when you are not actively gaming.

New batteries charge fast too, usually 80+% charge in 30-40 min.

I think they were forced wired/base method to correct for drift, not an intentional design move. Honestly, all motion control technology really is trying to get 1:1 with no drift or lag despite vibrations etc, that's where all the difficulty is.

Lets hope they fixed these issues.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

It would be awesome if Razer released a peripheral for adding positional tracking to the Rift while coexisting with a Hydra.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

@ Direlight: since the dev kit Hydras were wireless, I doubt they were forced to use wired. I think it was just a cost decision, otherwise they would have had to make the Hydra over $200 and that would not fly in many places.

edit: corrected a word
Dan_Sixense
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dan_Sixense »

There's some people saying the wireless would be heavier than the Hydra. This would be a reasonable assumption considering the addition of a battery to the handsets, however, some of you may not be aware that Razer decided to include a 35 gram weight in each handset of the Hydra. (Some of us have taken these out to lighten them up.)
Dan Paullus
Art Director
Sixense Entertainment, Inc.
www.Sixense.com
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

I'd happily handle a few more grams to get rid of those %¬?&*$! wires.

Wires aren't that much of a problem when you use it sitting in front of a desk as a glorified mouse but for VR usage where you want to stand up, turn around and have 1:1 representation of your hands, they're a major PITA.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

still won't be wireless Hydras - I (and I bet many others) made that suggestion and they posted to their facebook that nobody got it right afterwards.
I even switched my development plans away from the Hydra because it's such an unsure thing.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

If nobody got the product right it means you're making the wrong product.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Oh well. Our boys at Oculus are working on this anyway!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

MrGreen wrote:Oh well. Our boys at Oculus are working on this anyway!
yeah - I guess if they decide to bundle something with the Rift, because they want to establish a standard, then developer will jump on that... otherwise I can see people staying stuck with what they are used to (and don't need to buy) for a long time. I decided to go with the gamepad, because it's the best established devices so far (and I love having no cables).
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Dan_Sixense wrote:There's some people saying the wireless would be heavier than the Hydra. This would be a reasonable assumption considering the addition of a battery to the handsets, however, some of you may not be aware that Razer decided to include a 35 gram weight in each handset of the Hydra. (Some of us have taken these out to lighten them up.)
mines been rattling around inside of it since I bought it
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

GeraldT wrote:
MrGreen wrote:Oh well. Our boys at Oculus are working on this anyway!
yeah - I guess if they decide to bundle something with the Rift, because they want to establish a standard, then developer will jump on that... otherwise I can see people staying stuck with what they are used to (and don't need to buy) for a long time. I decided to go with the gamepad, because it's the best established devices so far (and I love having no cables).
This will be crucial in my opinion because except for "cockpit" games, I'm afraid VR with a mouse and keyboard or even a gamepad will be little more than a gimmick to most people.
Pokey
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pokey »

GeraldT wrote:still won't be wireless Hydras - I (and I bet many others) made that suggestion and they posted to their facebook that nobody got it right afterwards.
I even switched my development plans away from the Hydra because it's such an unsure thing.
Maybe it's a new Hydra with some specific feature no one guessed

keep hope alive

Return to “Oculus VR”