DIY Virtuix Omni

Discussion of tools and products that add VR physicality. Samples include VR treadmills, special hand controllers, gesture technology and more.
Shannonb1
One Eyed Hopeful

DIY Virtuix Omni

Post by Shannonb1 »

Has anyone thought about taking a few of these plastic vert ramps, they have different sizes and they are about 20$ a piece. I could see cutting these into triangles and fixing them together. I have attached a link below to one that I was using as an example.

http://www.amazon.com/Razor-13430-Punk- ... d_sim_sg_4

Adding to the idea I could see using spray foam under the botton to give it more support, might be a better option but thats the first thing that comes to mind.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: DIY Virtuix Omni

Post by colocolo »

it would be cheaper and better if you cast a curved dish with concrete.
Make a wooden curvature stencil and draw/pull the curved negative form(like a pair of compasses) into claylike earth.
Then add the concrete and cover the whole thing up.
After it has set hard cover it with some low friction(teflon) foliage.
Last edited by colocolo on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shannonb1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shannonb1 »

Are you suggesting that concrete would be a good replacement or that it would be used to create a mold? 1. How would you move that 2. whose wife would allow that in the house?
museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by museumsteve »

lol..I was looking at these ramps online yesterday :lol:
I'm thinking I fancy making something myself, not just because the cost of Omni with shipping.VAT to UK but because if I wanted something I wouldn't want another 9-12 month wait.
Shannonb1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shannonb1 »

More info on making plastic as a consumer

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... 2-plastic/
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Shannonb1 wrote:Are you suggesting that concrete would be a good replacement or that it would be used to create a mold? 1. How would you move that 2. whose wife would allow that in the house?
No, you make the mold out of claylike earth or clay. The omni weighs 50 Kilos. The concrete dish would
weigh much more. Better you would leave it in the garden.
Now, this wife thing in general is making me sick. :?
EDIT: Perhaps in the future ODTs will be intergrated into the floor when the house is going to be build.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

I'm considering this now that I have the harness set up.

One possibility might be to get a floor mat like this:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/44881100/

And then cut it / warm it so it molds into a dish shape. Need a circular frame, however.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Shannonb1 wrote:More info on making plastic as a consumer

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... 2-plastic/
Just don't substitute hydrogen peroxide for that styrofoam, eh? ;)
OutatimeTV
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OutatimeTV »

When I was looking for an DIY Omni dish, I came across these 120cm metal firebowls for outside use.

But I am not sure how well you can walk in such things. :?
mickman

Post by mickman »

A simple 2 part mould that can easily be 3D Printed.

I think it won't be long and we'll be seeing omni moulds at Thingiverse.

Clip the pieces together and hey presto you got yourself an Omni V2.

Or perhaps 3D print the mould & then vacuum form each part...

Simple to Replicate ... I think many people were unaware exactly what secret weapon was under the shoe... now we know... Here come the Clones .. Sad but True

Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.... but one thing I am sure about is JanVR's Omni scooped up on KickStarter & he'll be grinning from ear to ear at any new variations that hit the streets :)
Last edited by mickman on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

That would be pretty large for a consumer-level 3D printer, no?
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yeah, I thought through the 3d printer thing. If you get a very large printing platform, you could probably build it in parts. About 25-50 of them. Need to make sure they all fit together snugly. Each part would likely take several hours. So, we're talking about something that would take about 10 days of printing straight. Likely you'd be able to get about 12 hours a day, so make that 20 days of printing. More than likely, your printer would probably die several times on a job like that (3d printers are notoriously unreliable).

It'd be a big job, but doable perhaps if you're patient enough.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

One possible approach might be to glue / nail three+ layers of MDF together with concentric circles cut out. And then sand, smooth them until you have something reasonable.

For bonus points, fill it with large ball bearings. :)

Need to figure out a better approach than Jan's for stopping all that sliding around the place though. :)

One possibility might be some kind of surface on the shoes and dish which is very high friction for lateral movement but not forward/back movement.
Last edited by blazespinnaker on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Sounds like it would take less time and effort to just go work evenings for a while and use the extra cash to simply buy an Omni, haha.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

TheHolyChicken wrote:Sounds like it would take less time and effort to just go work evenings for a while and use the extra cash to simply buy an Omni, haha.
Great contribution! Thanks!
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

blazespinnaker wrote:One possible approach might be to glue / nail three+ layers of MDF together with concentric circles cut out. And then sand, smooth them until you have something reasonable.

For bonus points, fill it with large ball bearings. :)

Need to figure out a better approach than Jan's for stopping all that sliding around the place though. :)

One possibility might be some kind of surface on the shoes and dish which is very high friction for lateral movement but not forward/back movement.
Place a strong electromagnet beneath the center surface that would attract the part metalic sole.
I am wondering if it would be possible to build a ODT with several linear motors pointing towards the center.
The linear motors would let your shoe, which is the actual counter part, glide back towards the center.
a bit like a floating MAGLEV although your shoe would more glide over a low friction surface. :lol:
The dish would not need to be curved anymore also.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

blazespinnaker wrote:
TheHolyChicken wrote:Sounds like it would take less time and effort to just go work evenings for a while and use the extra cash to simply buy an Omni, haha.
The irony of your retort is palpable.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
foisi
Cross Eyed!

Post by foisi »

blazespinnaker wrote: One possibility might be some kind of surface on the shoes and dish which is very high friction for lateral movement but not forward/back movement.
something like a roller skate on a standard surface ?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Lay an old BUD satellite dish on the ground and roller skate on it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCOvBd2HZss

Something like this, but smaller, and while wearing a Rift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evz0F2_c3Mg

:lol:
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

The problem with roller skates is that they don't stop rolling.

You need something that you can stand up straight with maximum stability.

One thing I came up with last night was a concave dish with manual treadmills pointing upwards and outwards at different angles. So instead of sliding, your feet would actually move like on a treadmill. Expensive and tricky though. Too many moving parts.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

blazespinnaker wrote:The problem with roller skates is that they don't stop rolling.

You need something that you can stand up straight with maximum stability.

One thing I came up with last night was a concave dish with manual treadmills pointing upwards and outwards at different angles. So instead of sliding, your feet would actually move like on a treadmill. Expensive and tricky though. Too many moving parts.
or, sth like this .with the only difference that the role band would be inclined and your foot would glide back.
you could even tune the roll resistance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yeah, that looks interesting. Maybe some kind of motorized levers to move each triangle up and down depending on the incline.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

blazespinnaker wrote:Yeah, that looks interesting. Maybe some kind of motorized levers to move each triangle up and down depending on the incline.
yes, or to control the gait.
What if you put in the middle of the center a round post at which you mount this bungee rope.
each time you walk onto the rolls your one foot glides back. the rope could turn 360°.
i think that would work. :idea:
Perhaps. :D
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

a slippery flat surface around a high friction center would be enough i guess.
the only problem i see is when you put one foot onto the slippery surface and put weight onto it you would be immediately pulled back. Perhaps one only has to find a good friction value.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Here's my current idea, basically 3 or 4 MDF boards nailed/glued together with circles cut out, and then I'll lower a plastic carpet cover over it which I'll soften with heat.

I'll do a bit of sanding, but not too crazy.

Any folds that develop will be fine as they should restrict lateral movement.
VRDishBig.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

but how would your foot glide off the steps?
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

The plastic cover is very low friction. I'll just wear socks.

I'll sand the steps a bit, just to get rid of the major edges, but I'll rely on the plastic cover to create a smooth transition.

It's a pretty thick plastic cover, btw.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/44881100/
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

Plastic layer has to be thin enough that with heat, you can mold it to the right shape.

Or you will have to cut shapes, and re attach it.

One flat square will not mold to a dome easily without buckling.

How about finding a lid to a really big trash can or something? If you get something the right shape (or almost) you might be able to use expansion foam and a bit of framing to fill the bits.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

There is a young gentleman in another thread who is way ahead of the pack http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=17269

If I DIY it will be similar to this.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
mickman

Post by mickman »

Looks like good ole wood and nails is the way forwards.

As high-tech as V.R is...... there's still room for good ole wood.

Me thinks its time to get out the rusty axe & chop me up a good ole holodeck.
Image Image

MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

blazespinnaker wrote:
By far the best idea I've read in this thread though. ;)
Shannonb1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shannonb1 »

MrGreen wrote:
blazespinnaker wrote:
By far the best idea I've read in this thread though. ;)
And no, not a great contribution

I think you all are missing the point. I can build something to work with in a weekend....you guys are talking about waiting till at least JANUARY of 2014, so if you don't have something productive to say as far as ideas, post your trolling somewhere else. Its not about money, its about time. I have plenty of money which is why I can build one now and buy one if its really better later.

I'm rather serious about this topic and looking for others who are as well to contribute to the idea.
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

blazespinnaker wrote:Here's my current idea, basically 3 or 4 MDF boards nailed/glued together with circles cut out, and then I'll lower a plastic carpet cover over it which I'll soften with heat.

I'll do a bit of sanding, but not too crazy.

Any folds that develop will be fine as they should restrict lateral movement.
VRDishBig.png
This is cool, but what about using some wood filler or similar with a filling knife to smooth over the transitions from one layer to the next? You could make a reasonable DIY ramp like that. Any imperfections will be covered by the next layer, ie carpet. Only problem I can see if whether it'll stand up to being run on, or whether it would crack and fall apart? If you're gluing the carpet layer on then that may well hold it in place anyway. I think there must be a decent way of doing this.

Something that just came to mind while typing, how about cutting the edges using a circular saw at a 45 degree angle? Then you'd have quite a nice ramp that wouldn't fall apart. Wouldn't need to be perfect and the next layer will cover it.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Lilwolf wrote:Plastic layer has to be thin enough that with heat, you can mold it to the right shape.

How about finding a lid to a really big trash can or something? If you get something the right shape (or almost) you might be able to use expansion foam and a bit of framing to fill the bits.
It depends on how much heat you apply. Plastic is very moldable when you warm it up enough.
This is cool, but what about using some wood filler or similar with a filling knife to smooth over the transitions from one layer to the next? You could make a reasonable DIY ramp like that. Any imperfections will be covered by the next layer, ie carpet. Only problem I can see if whether it'll stand up to being run on, or whether it would crack and fall apart? If you're gluing the carpet layer on then that may well hold it in place anyway. I think there must be a decent way of doing this.

Something that just came to mind while typing, how about cutting the edges using a circular saw at a 45 degree angle? Then you'd have quite a nice ramp that wouldn't fall apart. Wouldn't need to be perfect and the next layer will cover it.
I was planning on sanding/smoothing the edges down with a belt sander. Wood filler is an interesting idea though. Thanks for the tip.

Another possibility is a thin layer of tile mortar.
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

blazespinnaker wrote:
Lilwolf wrote:Plastic layer has to be thin enough that with heat, you can mold it to the right shape.

It depends on how much heat you apply. Plastic is very moldable when you warm it up enough.

I was planning on sanding/smoothing the edges down with a belt sander. Wood filler is an interesting idea though. Thanks for the tip.

Another possibility is a thin layer of tile mortar.
Yeah, there are probably lots of DIY products that could do it. Do you not like the circular saw idea? I thought that would be much betteR?
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

It's not a bad idea, should save a bit of time, though sometimes tricky to cut that way.

My belt sander is pretty powerful though and this is MDF we're talking about.

Another idea on the other thread is to use cut pieces of laminate. I think I'll go that route instead of the plastic cover.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Today, i had another idea about a ODT.
Mainly like the Omni, but flat and no grooves.
Your shoes would have cleats like football shoes that can extrude out if no pressure is applied.
So, if your shoe glides over the low friction surface the low friction cleats retract and would glide backwards until they drift over the center of the device. There the platform has many holes like a grid. The pins extrude out and give you halt when stepping again forward.
I had this idea also with steel pins that would be attracted by a electromagnetic shoe sole, but think
this way its much simpler.
I think retractable cleats at the shoes and small holes in the center of the Omni could eventually improve it.
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

How about doing it like you say then putting a layer of hardboard over it? You could even wet it to get it to take the shape better?
mickman

Post by mickman »

So i started my creation...

here's a quick pre-vis image.

Dish Skirting: The inset box holes beneath the dish will house LEDs ( gotta have a bit o bling )
If I add grooves to the dish I will have slits in each groove... so the light will fliter through and around the dish.

Stowage: I'll upload an animation shortly depicting how it will stow away. Basically each arms pivots from the base.. as they rotate inwards the attached spring cord will allow the ring to lower until it rests on the dish itself...

This system will allow the user to simply walk onto the dish.. push a button, the ring then lifts automatically up around them as the support bars fold outwards.

Regarding the Original Omni - I believe by Jan.2014 there'll be so many adaptations of the Omni that the original will be obsolete.
Last edited by mickman on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Image Image

Return to “Physical VR Tools”