Virtuix Omni Kickstarting June 4th!!!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Omozinox
One Eyed Hopeful

Virtuix Omni Kickstarting June 4th!!!

Post by Omozinox »

Just saw this awesome news arrive in my email. I can't wait to back it!!!

http://www.virtuix.com/

Now if only my Rift would get here. The wait is driving me bonkers.
t0pquark
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Virtuix Omni Kickstarting June 4th!!!

Post by t0pquark »

Great news!

Now answer me this: why does the woman in blue (shooting a lightning bolt) look like she only has one breast and it's right in the middle of her chest???
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

t0pquark wrote:Great news!

Now answer me this: why does the woman in blue (shooting a lightning bolt) look like she only has one breast and it's right in the middle of her chest???
Cause you're looking at her on your freakin iPhone. :lol:

The PC police will probably love this.
mgood
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mgood »

Sometimes when a woman shoots lightning, her breasts perform unexpectedly.
ss248
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ss248 »

People behind virtuix are very bad at marketing.
After all this embarrassing videos, like tf2 on low framerate or recent hf2 with shaking hands, I cannot take them serious anymore.
I don't think they kickstarter will succeed.
Tacklebait
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tacklebait »

Any guess on how much this will be for a unit from the kickstarter??

$200??

The shipping of this.. scares me....
ss248
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ss248 »

Tacklebait wrote:Any guess on how much this will be for a unit from the kickstarter??

$200??
I expect 500$+.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Can't wait for this.
LordJuanlo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by LordJuanlo »

Awesome! Can't wait to back this project. But I'm afraid the overseas shipping will be terribly expensive.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

MrGreen wrote:The PC police will probably love this.
Are you just trying to provoke an argument?
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
mickman

Post by mickman »

ss248: Are you F$%^& serious.... you throw words around like nobody cares what you are actually stating.... I believe in freedom of speech etc.. etc... but have a little F%^& respect dude ! Do you have any idea what marketing is about .... brand awareness etc... ??

JanVR has worked his ass off to get this far & has developed an amazing product that really requires some backing right now... & you roll in an slam the guy's work... WTF !

JanVR you should seriously not be taking what you read on this site to heart... Well at least not crap like that.... there are some real twisted jealous F%^&R. Ignore it & just know you're onto something very special & the intro vid reflects it well.

You have re-engineered what 90% of past attempts at Omni directional V.R treadmills failed at... most attempts are way over engineered. You've managed to develop a V.R device that 's robust & simple to setup yet fluid in its motion and delivers what V.R enthusiasts really require at this time in V.Rs re-emergence. I salute you JanVR ...
awesome video & I can't wait for the KickStart launch on 4th June.

As for the Omni's intro Video .... AWESOME ! you've managed to capture the true essence of the Omni...
If I were to critique the intro video .. I would say

1.) you have grabbed the viewers attention well and held their attention throughout the video.
2.) the intro video is not too long and not too short.... it keeps the viewer wanting more... great
3.) The video makes great use of lighting to subtly convey certain aspects of the Omni without revealing too much as I am sure the Kickstarter will go into detail how the Omni can be used and it benefits, features etc...
4.) I feel the video captures both a male and female target audience ... well done.
5.) Audio is great.. I especially like the intro.
6.) I like how the intro video makes great use of the "Wow factor " bringing strong brand awareness to the Omni.. well done

I for one..... CAN'T WAIT TO STEP INSIDE THE GAME.

ENJOY
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
MrGreen wrote:The PC police will probably love this.
Are you just trying to provoke an argument?
No. F*ck no.

Look! Puppies!

Oh, and also, can't wait for the Kickstarter! :)
t0pquark
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by t0pquark »

mgood wrote:

Sometimes when a woman shoots lightning, her breasts perform unexpectedly.
A well reasoned response. Thank you good sir :D
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

Great news and cant wait for the KickStarter. The key thing is cost. However I hope they are clear on how much international shipping will cost plus import duties. I don't want to think about the tax on a $500 import (probably around $100 here). Hopefully they can get a system like Oculus set up so whole of EU doesnt have import tax.

The other thing I am very interested in is their cable management. I like to play stood up but if I do too many left turns in a row I have imprisoned myself in a wirey cage. Funny enough though playing this way my brain automatically feels like it wants to walk forward, so my my opinion is this is going to rock!
realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by realyst2k »

The trailer video was great. Looking forward to seeing this :)

If I were to make some criticism about the marketing:

1) The site is nice. No complaints.
2) The pictures in the "About" with the models....I'd ditch those. Unless you're going for 1990's videogame magazine ad aesthetic :) [just need tiny 1 inch thumbnails of games]. I say this because: You have an MK reference. You are asking for lots of trouble, especially as there is no conceivable way to play a fighting game(as we know it) in something like an Omni, so it comes across as kinda misleading. Fighting game players are also very...opinionated folk. The rest of the pictures also just sort of look....odd. Granted this was likely done on a shoestring budget and quickly, but I'd go with a pro photo shoot with a person actually -in- a unit, perhaps with the same green screening, but at a more plausible angle(perhaps a guy decked out in Navy SEAL attire pointing a gun to the upper corner of the camera at some unseen target, all dramatically, you can overlay some foliage or something around him).
3) The trailer video is a fantastic hype generator. Keep it.

Again, looking forward to your launch, just figured I'd toss in my two cents :) Good luck!
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

I would have to see how high the price is before i get too excited about this kick starter
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I find those images more offputting than anything. It makes it feel fake and gimmicky.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Mystify wrote:I find those images more offputting than anything. It makes it feel fake and gimmicky.
This is a gaming device. It fits perfectly.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

colocolo wrote:
Mystify wrote:I find those images more offputting than anything. It makes it feel fake and gimmicky.
If I didn't know about this already, I would dismiss it after glancing at that site and not look back.
Teluan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teluan »

I for one don't care about the glossy feel of Kickstarter videos. I look for genuine, smart, hard working people that are passionate about what they do. I intent to support this Kickstarter and help good people rise.

June 4th is on my calendar!

VRMatthew
realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by realyst2k »

colocolo wrote:

Maybe in 90s.

Right now they sort of look like something you'd find in Chinatown for a product you're not sure is worth the already low price.

The photoshop just isn't working. Be honest, pop a model in the prototype, take some nice pictures laid out nicely, THEN add some flourish in the BG.
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

Now, an independent gun control, and we have ourselves some realistic uber awesome!

Will this work with the Hydra? I'm assuming it will work great with the wireless version.
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

mickman wrote:ss248: Are you F$%^& serious.... you throw words around like nobody cares what you are actually stating.... I believe in freedom of speech etc.. etc... but have a little F%^& respect dude ! Do you have any idea what marketing is about .... brand awareness etc... ??

JanVR has worked his ass off to get this far & has developed an amazing product that really requires some backing right now... & you roll in an slam the guy's work... WTF !

JanVR you should seriously not be taking what you read on this site to heart... Well at least not crap like that.... there are some real twisted jealous F%^&R. Ignore it & just know you're onto something very special & the intro vid reflects it well.

You have re-engineered what 90% of past attempts at Omni directional V.R treadmills failed at... most attempts are way over engineered. You've managed to develop a V.R device that 's robust & simple to setup yet fluid in its motion and delivers what V.R enthusiasts really require at this time in V.Rs re-emergence. I salute you JanVR ...
awesome video & I can't wait for the KickStart launch on 4th June.

As for the Omni's intro Video .... AWESOME ! you've managed to capture the true essence of the Omni...
If I were to critique the intro video .. I would say

1.) you have grabbed the viewers attention well and held their attention throughout the video.
2.) the intro video is not too long and not too short.... it keeps the viewer wanting more... great
3.) The video makes great use of lighting to subtly convey certain aspects of the Omni without revealing too much as I am sure the Kickstarter will go into detail how the Omni can be used and it benefits, features etc...
4.) I feel the video captures both a male and female target audience ... well done.
5.) Audio is great.. I especially like the intro.
6.) I like how the intro video makes great use of the "Wow factor " bringing strong brand awareness to the Omni.. well done

I for one..... CAN'T WAIT TO STEP INSIDE THE GAME.

ENJOY
I agree with every word of that mickman
At last its almost here.
Teluan wrote:I for one don't care about the glossy feel of Kickstarter videos. I look for genuine, smart, hard working people that are passionate about what they do. I intent to support this Kickstarter and help good people rise.

June 4th is on my calendar!
VRMatthew

Your too right June 4th is on the calendar
And dont forget to visit http://www.virtuix.com/ for the latest updaes
Or post in the forums http://www.virtuix.com/forum/index.php
Jalaman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jalaman »

realyst2k wrote:
colocolo wrote:
Maybe in 90s.

Right now they sort of look like something you'd find in Chinatown for a product you're not sure is worth the already low price.

The photoshop just isn't working. Be honest, pop a model in the prototype, take some nice pictures laid out nicely, THEN add some flourish in the BG.
I have to agree. If we want VR as a complete experience to really take off, we all need to be extremely conscious of how it's presented to the "mainstream". The images on the website are pretty poor and offputting, they need to re-think their presentation. If I didn't already know about this I'd likely dismiss it after glancing at the site. Just trying to be honest and constructive.
Bloump
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bloump »

Don't know too much about it.. but would hydra be fine with a usb wireless transmitter? it would be perfect for omni and rift usb connections.. or there will be latency problems?
http://www.tomshw.it/cont/articolo/olid ... 317/1.html (sorry it's in italian, use google translator)
add hdmi wireless and you're all set. I guess :mrgreen:
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

I also think the vid is a bit excessive. In a world that a Rift was a common household item, it would be great.
In this world you are selling to hackers and people who shouldn't have bought a Rift.
You should aim to sell to people who are going to want to buy.
The tech guys are going to want details, not flashy visuals. The others, do you really want to provide tech support?
The product looks awesome btw :)
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I do like the whole Lara Croft image, though I agree maybe it's ill-targeted. Certainly the lightning girl just doesn't fit much at all.

Also, the videos page doesn't work for me on Chrome.
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

I think the developer wanted to show that the device was for games, by using characters from videogames, since it's claiming VR experience, be the character you play as. The two most important things for me at this point is how well it performs, am I going to have back pain by using it for long periods of time, what the price range is going to be, if he goes to as high as even 1,500 to 2,000 dollars, I'm definitely out, I can get a Sims gear for that much. But a test run by normal people is required, it's like selling a sofa, if it's hard and uncomfortable people WILL let us know!
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Hi all, thanks for the feedback! The artwork seems quite controversial; I'll be sure not to publicize it much. The idea was to convey the message that the Omni puts you in a virtual world, a game. The immersion of being able to stand up and walk around in a game is a mind blowing experience. That said, I hope the artwork did not cause an opposite effect - been working non-stop on this project and really hope to get as many Omnis to VR and gaming enthusiasts as possible!

Thanks for all your support! I'll keep you posted on our progress.

Jan
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

JanVR:

One BIG question, I am 6' 2" and 250lbs, will I be able to use this? I am sure there are many of us "bigger" gamers out there that NEED something like the Virtuix Omni to get a bit of excercise but are concerned about the weight limit when looking to purchase this.

Also height will be another concern, what are the ranges for height? Particularly the height of the waist since this is where the ring seems to track the body.

-Steve
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

I wish you good luck with your kickstarter JanVR.
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

The video trailer is OK, it creates the right expectations without showing too much, I'm sure the kickstarter one will look very nice.
But regarding the artwork, altough I can understand the idea of showing the Omni bringing you into the game, the realization is (sorry for being too frank) quite embarassing. In order for it to work, it should be done with professional actors and costumes, otherwise they look like pics from a kids Halloween costume catalogue :(
ss248
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ss248 »

mickman wrote:ss248: Are you F$%^& serious.... you throw words around like nobody cares what you are actually stating.... I believe in freedom of speech etc.. etc... but have a little F%^& respect dude ! Do you have any idea what marketing is about .... brand awareness etc... ??

People judge his product by his videos.
Is it so hard to make a good video? Is it really so hard?
You think embarrassing videos, like this is acceptable?
Sorry, but I don't think so.
He can fix everything by simple run game on normal PC (tf2 video) or put hydra base closer (hl2 video).
If he cannot even do that, I think he just don't respect the viewer.
P.S. I don't want to insult anyone, just my opinion.
Hope it help.
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

The idea of the HL2 demo was to, for the first time ever, show someone being in virtual reality with the Rift, walking around naturally in a game in 360 degrees, crouching too, while at the same time being able to aim the gun manually, independent from the looking direction. We worked with Nathan Andrews to make his mod work with the Omni in 360 degrees, which is not an easy feat. Apologies if the gun is a bit jittery at times.

SteveTB, your weight and height are well within our limits. The Omni is designed to hold 285lbs with a factor 2 and can handle heights up to approximately 6'5". Thank you for your support!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Good thing it can hold the weight. I was getting worried for a second considering my large gut.

Hopefully the Omni can be used as an exercise device, I think this would be very cool.
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Thank you JanVR, that was the only concern u had about the product. Very excited now for June 4th. Thank you for making this happen! It's an amazing time for VR.
ido
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ido »

Cannot wait.

I will be supporting this as much as possible. Really want to be one of the firsts to get my hands on this.

Hoping the KS goes really well.
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

cybereality wrote:Hopefully the Omni can be used as an exercise device, I think this would be very cool.
I think it would be hard to use it and not be getting plenty of exercise. :D
mickman

Post by mickman »

Best Video description by JanVr to date...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3NbURH14ro
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

The video doesn't really help IMO. It's the first video that I've seen that shows it this noisey :?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”