512MB or 1GB video memory...big difference for S3D?

Tridens92
One Eyed Hopeful

512MB or 1GB video memory...big difference for S3D?

Post by Tridens92 »

I have a question, but it requires some background first...

I've been doing my homework re: upgrading my video card in anticipation of shutter support in Iz3D driver 1.09. I'm wondering about buying an GeForce 8800 or 9800 series card with either 512 MB or 1GB memory. Reviews I've read indicate that for most current games, the cards in these two series see virtually no frame rate improvement moving from the 512mb to the 1GB, and they recommend spending the extra $ on a superclocked card instead of the extra memory.

Here's my question: what about when you're playing with stereo 3D via shutterglasses? Wouldn't doubling the memory significantly improve S3D performance, since the card is flipping pages? Wouldn't the extra memory be the wiser place to put your $ vs. a overclocked card?

What about with an Iz3D monitor...would the same be true?

Thanks for any help.

Tridens92
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Thats an interesting question, I'm not sure if anyone has covered that before. Judging from the 2D benchmarks the 1GB cards don't seem to offer much (if any) benefit. I'm not sure if the stereo3d changes the situation. Most of the VRAM usage is going to be going toward textures which would not be effected either way. So my opinion is that it won't be of much help. But honestly I'm not sure, maybe someone with a 1GB card could test this.
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Vadim

Post by yomer »

Maybe Vadim can answer that question for us.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

I can't find any 9 series cards with 1GB (except the weaker 9600 card and the "dual card" GX2), so you may be barking up the wrong tree.

The 8800 series only offers a GT 1GB card (at least in a reasonable price range, the GTS is pretty expensive).

Given any thought to the AMD/ATi 4850? Sapphire has a 1GB model, and it may be much faster than an 8/9 series card for the games you play, just something to keep in mind.

That said, what resolution display(s) are you planning to run, and at what anti-aliasing settings?

Did something new happen around here? Last I knew there wasn't any support for shutterglasses on the nVidia cards due to lack of access to the on-chip nvidia encoders since the 8 series. Even Powerstrip can't break in and do low-level stuff on them.
Tridens92
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tridens92 »

No, I'd not considered an ATI card (I've been an Nvidia fan due to their history of supporting S3D right in their driver, but since they've abandoned shutter glasses and WinXP, maybe it's time to look at ATI.

As far as resolution and AA, as good as I can run for what I can afford (don't want to spend more than $175).

Some useful information on this post over at Iz3D... http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=2665#2665

Re: "missing something," I don't think you've missed anything re: Nvidia. I'm planning on using the Iz3D driver (v1.09 promises shutter glasses support).

Thanks,

Tridens92
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

I would not think the 1gb ram will help because (i think) each texture will only be loaded into ram once regardless of how many time it is displayed in a scene. So i would think s3d puts more of a strain on processing and bandwidth. Also the best bang for your buck is the ati 4870 right now plus its always a good idea to boycott nvidia wherever possible.
Okta

Post by Okta »

nubie wrote:Did something new happen around here? Last I knew there wasn't any support for shutterglasses on the nVidia cards due to lack of access to the on-chip nvidia encoders since the 8 series. Even Powerstrip can't break in and do low-level stuff on them.
Afaik the only reason for the lack of s3d support on the 8800 series is nvidia marketing strategy.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

I meant that we don't know what registers control the pin that handles the shutter flipping. either in nVidia's driver, powerstrip, or custom drivers like iZ3D.

If you want to go crazy here is a review of a $249 card with 2GB DDR3! http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd ... r3-review/

I haven't read it, but it should be interesting.
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

Yeah, I would like a clearer explanation of this issue. BlackQ is mentioning this constraint on NVIDIA pageflipping mode everytime someone asks him whether shutterglasses are going to be supported. I think he says it will only work with self timed shutterglasses or something... hmmm its not clear.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

All I know is that up until the 8 series card nVidia used a backward compatible scheme to control the pin that make Shutterglasses work. Meaning GeForce 3 through 7 series had a similar design and code that worked on one worked on all of them.

The Geforce 8 and up series are completely new design and nVidia is not releasing any information on how to set things like resolution, refresh rate, or control of the pin that gives the shutterglasses their signal. This wouldn't be a huge deal if they had their own support, but they have dropped proper support for TVs, digital screens, custom resolutions, and of course Shutterglasses.

Powerstrip mentions in their forums to check the release notes for information on geforce 8 series cards.

With the $175 HD 4850 spanking the 9800GTX+ in some games I don't see a need to worry about nVidia support. I have already bought and sold 2 8800 cards, so I just won't be looking at an nVidia card again unless there is a major change in the way they are doing business.
Tridens92
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tridens92 »

@nubie -- are you saying that the ATI cards (like the 4850) do not have this problem with sync to shutterglasses via the DDC pin? In other words, are you saying that, once Iz3d supports shutterglasses (driver version 1.09) I will be able to use an ATI card with shutter glasses, but I still won't be able to use an Nvidia card because of the pin control issue?

Thanks,

tridens92
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Usually IZ3D drivers work similar on both ATI and NV boards. But sometimes NV has more problems, but I would wait until the driver is released. It's not clear how they managed the sync, or if at all :?
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!

Return to “iZ3D Legacy Drivers”