WizDish + Rift - a first impression

blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Re: WizDish + Rift - a first impression

Post by blazespinnaker »

Anyone read the patent behind all this??

https://www.google.com/patents/US7470218

Woah. So, basically, the omni is actually an implementation of US7470218 but with something to hang onto. And the wizdish, hell, is it even covered by US7470218?

I mean, it seems to me you could create a flat version of the wizdish (the wizdish looks flat to me) and you wouldn't be infringing on any patents at all. Or release the wizdish + handle bars and you wouldn't be infringing.

Whoever wrote that patent, why did they say "A portable locomotion platform device lacking handles or anything for a user to grab onto with hands," You basically just said that if anyone builds the same thing but WITH handles or something to grab onto, you're not infringing.

Also, the omni has prior art up the wazoo. There is absolutely no way they can patent that.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
Flassan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Flassan »

Hi Blazepinnaker, thanks for raising a very important issue.
Moving in a VR world either with WizDish or any other omni directional treadmill is to accept a level of risk in the same fashion as those who purchase Heely's, or roller blades accept a risk. So long as we continue to provide advice on safety precautions and clear instructions on safe use then there is no question of gross negligence.

In our instance the centre of mass of users is always over the legs and so if an unstable state did occur a user would crumple to the floor local to the Dish.

In the instance of wearing a harness around the base of the pelvis, where for the majority of people the centre of mass is at a higher position, there is real potential for loss of balance, especially where harness adjustment is subjective to the user. Now consider the high forces that would be generated if a very large guy was to slip in the same way as the lady at 7'40" in the video below.

[quote="Marulu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzUsBto9bB0

It means that having provided a harness to reduce the users mass so as to reduce friction and a ring for safety, were a user to fall then there is substantial torque applied to the whole structure, which may succumb and topple and perhaps even fracture at a weakest point. A great deal of faith is also placed in pledgers ability to meet stringent materials and joining technologies necessary to build their own safety device.
Even though gross negligence is a pretty strong term I'm still glad you wanted to ask about it, so thanks! :)
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

I wasn't asking!

People who sell roller blades *STRONGLY* encourage their customers to purchase helmets and knee pads. The pictures they have on the product art, has people wearing helmets and kneepads.

To do anything else, would definitely be gross negligence.

If you advertise this in a kickstarter with someone rifting without protection (airbags, harness, whatever), you are encouraging your users to put themselves at risk.

The simple fact is when you sell in the US, you have a legal and moral duty to make sure your customers are safe at all times when using your product (within reasonable limits of course, you can't FORCE them to buy protective gear, you can only tell them to)

Now, as to whether WizDish is performing gross negligence, I can't say. I haven't studied their product / marketing materials in detail. Hopefully they encourage their users to buy safety gear such as harnesses or air bags.

Anyways, seriously, the last thing the VR movement needs right now is a story about someone hurting themselves critically using the rift.
Flassan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Flassan »

blazespinnaker wrote:If it is so safe, why do all the wizdish videos have a large airbag around their product demos?
blazespinnaker wrote:If you advertise this in a kickstarter with someone rifting without protection (airbags, harness, whatever), you are encouraging your users to put themselves at risk.
The simple fact is when you sell in the US, you have a legal and moral duty to make sure your customers are safe at all times when using your product (within reasonable limits of course, you can't FORCE them to buy protective gear, you can only tell them to)
We take safety extremely seriously and have drawn attention to this in our Kickstarter submission. As you have pointed out we do take safety precautions and are not afraid of showing it. Another idea is to use a Bariatric harness, which has the advantage of allowing handicapped people to use it. You could slide the WizDish under them once they are safely in the harness and even allow them to bear as much of their own weight as they feel comfortable with. It's this kind of flexibity that has caused a number of Universities to approach us.
blazespinnaker wrote:Anyways, when you're twisting and jumping around quickly to dodge and blast your enemies with a gun in a fast paced FPS game, there's no way you're going to be able to maintain perfect balance without a harness of some kind. The immersion is intense and the disconnect between the virtual world and the real is going to
be very unbalancing at times.
That's a good point. The lateral forces are easily as important as the vertical loading, and I mentioned that torque (and angluar velocity) are also part of the equation.
I've seen a few people hurl themselves into wall while wearing a Rift so you could suggest safety gear is always worn in VR.
What we've found is that it's a very bad idea to make people feel they are invulnerable because they will naturally self-regulate their actions according to the perceived risk (e.g. kids have been injured playing american football because they didn't realise that will all the padding their necks were no more protected than normally).

This is why if you are providing a safety device it absolutely has to be able to cope with all repeated or sustained forces that may apply. We recommend people employ any safety measures they need to for their particular circumstances.
BTW, we also recommend Tuscany villa demo, which provides an excellent experience for beginners.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

blazespinnaker wrote:
TheHolyChicken wrote:
blazespinnaker wrote:You DO need a safety solution though. I think it's gross negligence to expect your users to blindly walk/flail around in the real without a harness or substantial airbag.
I tried the Wizdish - I got used to it in just a few minutes, and never felt at any time that I was at risk of falling over. I'm sure there are those with worse balance than me, but I still don't see it as a huge risk.
Yeah. I've never been in a car accident either, and yet they keep making me buy car insurance.
The reason you have to buy car insurance is because you have an obligation to OTHERS that you can financially cover them should you cause an accident. You are not putting other people's lives or property at risk by using a WizDish.
If it is so safe, why do all the wizdish videos have a large airbag around their product demos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... O8mfcvO8_E
You appear to have made your mind up about this already, and are not trying to have a discussion anymore, but instead just trying to convince us you are right.
"ALL the WizDish videos"? The event at Inition is the first time I've ever seen a WizDish video where airbags were used, and it may have just been the event organisers deciding to lean on the safe side. You can't just make things up to support your argument.

Essentially, you have never tried it and are telling me it's unsafe. I HAVE tried it, and am telling you I never once felt at any risk of falling. I think I'll trust in my own experience instead of the opinion of someone who has none.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
NegativeCamber
Cross Eyed!

Post by NegativeCamber »

blazespinnaker wrote:
TheHolyChicken wrote:
blazespinnaker wrote:You DO need a safety solution though. I think it's gross negligence to expect your users to blindly walk/flail around in the real without a harness or substantial airbag.
I tried the Wizdish - I got used to it in just a few minutes, and never felt at any time that I was at risk of falling over. I'm sure there are those with worse balance than me, but I still don't see it as a huge risk.
Yeah. I've never been in a car accident either, and yet they keep making me buy car insurance.

If it is so safe, why do all the wizdish videos have a large airbag around their product demos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... O8mfcvO8_E

Anyways, when you're twisting and jumping around quickly to dodge and blast your enemies with a gun in a fast paced FPS game, there's no way you're going to be able to maintain perfect balance without a harness of some kind. The immersion is intense and the disconnect between the virtual world and the real is going to
be very unbalancing at times.

And it's in these type of games were this stuff really shines.
Would you sue a bike manufacturer for falling off your cycle?

Would you sue your gym for falling off a treadmill?
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

NegativeCamber wrote: Would you sue a bike manufacturer for falling off your cycle?

Would you sue your gym for falling off a treadmill?
In the US? Sure.

In Europe? Are you freaking kidding me? Get outta here!
www.AwesomeBlade.com
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Let me give you an example: I was playing tf2 where an enemy came in front of me suddenly. I was so caught up, because the immersion was so effective(what we want, right?) in the real I tried to jump away. Fortunately, I had a harness that stopped me from smashing into anything.

I did rip out my cord on my computer, but that's another thing.

Perhaps if the wiz dish breaks the immersion enough, this wont be an issue.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

The more immersive the experience, the more likely someone is to react fully to what happens, which means they are more likely to fall/slam into something, which means saftey measures are more important. So, telling me that the wizdish doesn't need such saftey measures is telling me its either A. not actually immersive, and hence I am uninterested or B. unsafe, in which case I wouldn't risk it. I wouldn't even try playing VR while standing in place without a safety measure, I've read about plenty of people falling over in VR just from standing.
usb247
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by usb247 »

to be honest, I don't understand why you would use this. It doesn't resemble real walking in any way and It seems like is would take away from the experience more than add to it by getting in the way.

can someone enlighten me?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Mystify wrote:The more immersive the experience, the more likely someone is to react fully to what happens, which means they are more likely to fall/slam into something, which means saftey measures are more important. So, telling me that the wizdish doesn't need such saftey measures is telling me its either A. not actually immersive, and hence I am uninterested or B. unsafe, in which case I wouldn't risk it. I wouldn't even try playing VR while standing in place without a safety measure, I've read about plenty of people falling over in VR just from standing.
But the lack of built-in safety equipment is what distinguishes the WizDish from prior art in its patent application!
Flassan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Flassan »

blazespinnaker wrote:Fortunately, I had a harness that stopped me from smashing into anything.
blazespinnaker, I noticed you joined the forum a few hours before JanVR announced the Omni.
Just so we know do you have a vested interest in this?
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Mystify wrote:The more immersive the experience, the more likely someone is to react fully to what happens, which means they are more likely to fall/slam into something, which means saftey measures are more important. So, telling me that the wizdish doesn't need such saftey measures is telling me its either A. not actually immersive, and hence I am uninterested or B. unsafe, in which case I wouldn't risk it. I wouldn't even try playing VR while standing in place without a safety measure, I've read about plenty of people falling over in VR just from standing.
Good point, and something I hadn't considered actually - I was just wandering around VR Tuscany on the WizDish, and felt completely safe, but I've not played anything that really got me involved as some games might. I'll be able to better judge when my Rift arrives and I can log a lot more VR time. I know that some are losing their balance riding VR rollercoasters and such, but that's not exactly the type of VR environment where I would be using a walking platform in the first place, so that doesn't really concern me.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Flassan wrote:
blazespinnaker wrote:Fortunately, I had a harness that stopped me from smashing into anything.
blazespinnaker, I noticed you joined the forum a few hours before JanVR announced the Omni.
Just so we know do you have a vested interest in this?
His posts in these DIY alternative threads make a "vested interest" seem unlikely:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17769
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17762

Circumstantial and coincidental evidence can be found all around you, for just about anything, if that is what seek...
langmyersknow
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by langmyersknow »

I think you guys should stop hating on the wizdish, I think it's a pretty awesome way, and can't wait to see when it's going to be available for consumers.

Here's how I see it.

The Wii Balance Board and other foot controllers, or for those who want to chill while playing their vr games.

Wizdish, is like a step above that, and your actually moving your feet.

Omni is like a bit different that you acutally move your feet up and down in a sort of walking like fashion.

I think both are immersive, just different.

The more competition, the better I think. VR is right now in the early stages, so there's gonna be a lot of experimentation, and we won't know what the standards of controls will be until a few years from now.
usb247
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by usb247 »

sadly I have yet to see any acceptable solution for walking around in VR.
I think Rift + Xbox controller may still be the most intuitive.

If using kinect then something like a virtual wizdish inside the VR. There's a video of someone
using a system like that and it doesn't look too bad.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I have not tried the WizDish, but I would love too. Not needing an upper support means that it can easily slide under the bed.

I have NO IDEA whatsoever WHERE I can even think about setting up my Omni when it comes, without serious "WAF" issues. At least I have a few more months to figure out a solution for that thorny problem. Time to build a "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_cave]man cave", I guess...

I can easily see the sleeker WizDish having a high WAF, when compared to the Omni. I may eventually end up with both ODT-like solutions in my collection of (rarely used) exercise equipment.
:roll:
crespo80
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by crespo80 »

Anyway, some sort of safety harness is absolutely needed for slippery devices such the Omni and the WizDish, expecially if they become successfull, go on the market and are adopted by non-enthusiast average gamers.
It's OK as long as they are limited to a kickstarter reward, but a consumer device without outstanding safety features is going to raise an almost immediate class action with the risk of bankrupting a startup company.
The same applies to the Rift itself, of course, but for different reasons (nausea-inducing, disorientation,depersonalization, etc.)
Last edited by crespo80 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

The only reason I joined this thread was because flassan was slagging the omni and its safety gear.
flassan wrote:Personally I doubt I would enjoy the “crotch crusher” as the guy called it, especially for the couple of hours I can easily use the WizDish for, but maybe I'm just too manly for an Omni :D . It’s possible that the baby walker harness and slightly mincing gait suggest deviation too.
never insult your competitors. It never helps..
Flassan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Flassan »

Fair point but I wasn't implying. Just wanted to know.
I would like to know more about the harness though. He may have been unfair but we can't tell.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

blazespinnaker wrote:... never insult your competitors. It never helps..
But flame wars can be highly entertaining. Although, before we begin this exercise in futility, let us first define the rules of engagement (and be sure to read the "fine print"):
https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Flame_Wars wrote:The Twelve Commandments of Flaming
1. Make things up about your opponent: It's important to make your lies sound true. Preface your argument with the word "clearly." "Clearly, Fred Flooney is a liar, and a dirtball to boot."
2. Be an armchair psychologist: You're a smart person. You've heard of Freud. You took a psychology course in college. Clearly, you're qualified to psychoanalyze your opponent. "Polly Purebread, by using the word 'zucchini' in her posting, shows she has a bad case of penis envy."
3. Cross-post your flames: Everyone on the net is just waiting for the next literary masterpiece to leave your terminal. From rec.arts.wobegon to alt.gourmand, they're all holding their breaths until your next flame. Therefore, post everywhere.
4. Conspiracies abound: If everyone's against you, the reason can't possibly be that you're a fuckhead. There's obviously a conspiracy against you, and you will be doing the entire net a favor by exposing it.
5, Lawsuit threats: This is the reverse of Rule #4 (sort of like the Yin & Yang of flaming). Threatening a lawsuit is always considered to be in good form. "By saying that I've posted to the wrong group, Bertha has libeled me, slandered me, and sodomized me. See you in court, Bertha."
6. Force them to document their claims: Even if Harry Hoinkus states outright that he likes tomato sauce on his pasta, you should demand documentation. If Newsweek hasn't written an article on Harry's pasta preferences, then Harry's obviously lying.
7. Use foreign phrases: French is good, but Latin is the lingua franca of flaming. You should use the words "ad hominem" at least three times per article. Other favorite Latin phrases are "ad nauseam," "veni, vidi, vici," and "Fettuccini Alfredo."
8. Tell 'em how smart you are: Why use intelligent arguments to convince them you're smart when all you have to do is tell them? State that you're a member of Mensa or Mega or Dorks of America. Tell them the scores you received on every exam since high school. "I got an 800 on my SATs, LSATs, GREs, MCATs, and I can also spell the word 'premeiotic'."
9. Accuse your opponent of censorship. It is your right as an American citizen to post whatever the hell you want to the net (as guaranteed by the 37th Amendment, I think). Anyone who tries to limit your cross-posting or move a flame war to email is either a communist, a fascist, or both.
10. Doubt their existence: You've never actually seen your opponent, have you? And since you're the center of the universe, you should have seen them by now, shouldn't you? Therefore, THEY DON'T EXIST! This is the beauty of flamers' logic.
11. Lie, cheat, steal, leave the toilet seat up.
12. When in doubt, insult: If you forget the other 11 rules, remember this one. At some point during your wonderful career as a flamer you will undoubtedly end up in a flame war with someone who is better than you. This person will expose your lies, tear apart your arguments, make you look generally like a bozo. At this point, there's only one thing to do: insult the dirtbag!!! "Oh yeah? Well, your mother does strange things with vegetables."
:lol: ;)
Flassan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Flassan »

:D
blazespinnaker does make a good point. It wasn't meant to sound insulting but if it did fair enough.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
Good point, and something I hadn't considered actually - I was just wandering around VR Tuscany on the WizDish, and felt completely safe, but I've not played anything that really got me involved as some games might. I'll be able to better judge when my Rift arrives and I can log a lot more VR time. I know that some are losing their balance riding VR rollercoasters and such, but that's not exactly the type of VR environment where I would be using a walking platform in the first place, so that doesn't really concern me.
I wouldn't be worried about doing tuscany on the wizdish. Its a very safe, calm environment to explore. However, other games are not so forgiving. Sure, doing a rollercoaster on a wizdish doesn't make sense, but a lot of action games still do things that could be problematic. Just looking at the beginning of HL2, you have parts where your character ends up laying on the ground, your are jumping over gaps, later on you will have monsters attacking you and rockets flying at you, and there are a ton of things which can cause you to fall or slip. Or what about the vehicle sections, if you are running around on a wizdish, are you going to stop and take a seat when you come across a vehicle? If your vehicle is flipped, will you keep your balance? What if you are playing far cry 3, I had a point in the game where I was riding along happily, then suddenly found myself plunging into a temple I hadn't noticed. That was very surprising and disorienting even on a monitor, I'm positive it would have caused me issues if I was on a wizdish.
Flassan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Flassan »

That could well be true. It's probably worth remembering that hardcore game VR gaming is quite a niche. Also, whatever you imagine a device will be like very likely won't turn out as you expected. Some you'll get on with and others not. Equally it may depend on the game, it's VR implementation and even the character you're playing. The broader the options the more take-up there will be and that will drive down the cost.
yoshithedog
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yoshithedog »

About safety... They do not add airbags to skis or snowboards, you know. And somehow nobody complains about it.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

yoshithedog wrote:About safety... They do not add airbags to skis or snowboards, you know. And somehow nobody complains about it.
... because the snow IS a cushioning "aribag" (except perhaps after an avalanche, when it gets rather like concrete, when you need your own "avalanche airbag").

But for bicycling and rollerblading (and perhaps "WizDishing" too), a safety helmet and perhaps knee and elbow pads are good safety accessories.

Or, maybe a bungee cord hooked to the ceiling... :D
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

There is sort of an interesting question about whom is at fault for causing someone to fall. Surely if you have a contraption that by design can cause unsteadiness then a finger could be pointed at the device. But what about in a hypothetical scenario with something like mo-cap and near perfect body tracking. In theory, if you track and represent the body accurately and the world realistically then someone in VR should have no more reason to fall than someone standing in the real world. Their natural vestibular/visual feedback loop should operate the same. But if the software generates imagery that causes an unnatural disparity (ie. rolling the camera sideways) then wouldn't the software be to blame instead of the devices? I'm not trying to divert accountability or anything, just trying to generate discussion. Would it be fair to hold device manufacturer's accountable for reckless software? Could game companies be held accountable for accidents as well?

Edit: I'm thinking of something like Mirror's Edge. Even with perfectly functioning hardware, the game content itself could induce vertigo. Is that the fault of the devices? Is it the fault of the software? Or just the individual? Who would be held accountable for providing warning messages?
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

A huge part of it is how you advertise / market your product - the expectations you generate in your users before they buy.

If you advertise software without showing how it's being used, you are doing OK. The only expectation you are generating is good graphics. If you advertise software showing someone sitting down at a keyboard playing it, you're safe and so are they.

If you advertise software showing someone using it with an oculus rift, standing up, with no safety gear.....yeah, I think you're liable. You're creating the expectation in the mind of the consumer that they can safely use the software in this environment without a harness (or whatever).

I don't think in anyway are you ever actually liable for what the user does (that'd be crazy ... people are dumb), but rather liable for the expectations you generate in the mind of the user via your product marketing. Truth in advertising! It should be the law everywhere.

Of course, you should also have various warnings in your product docs, but nobody ever reads that.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

brantlew wrote:There is sort of an interesting question about whom is at fault for causing someone to fall. Surely if you have a contraption that by design can cause unsteadiness then a finger could be pointed at the device. But what about in a hypothetical scenario with something like mo-cap and near perfect body tracking. In theory, if you track and represent the body accurately and the world realistically then someone in VR should have no more reason to fall than someone standing in the real world. Their natural vestibular/visual feedback loop should operate the same. But if the software generates imagery that causes an unnatural disparity (ie. rolling the camera sideways) then wouldn't the software be to blame instead of the devices? I'm not trying to divert accountability or anything, just trying to generate discussion. Would it be fair to hold device manufacturer's accountable for reckless software? Could game companies be held accountable for accidents as well?

Edit: I'm thinking of something like Mirror's Edge. Even with perfectly functioning hardware, the game content itself could induce vertigo. Is that the fault of the devices? Is it the fault of the software? Or just the individual? Who would be held accountable for providing warning messages?
If your natural vestibular/visual feedback loop is still intact, then this shouldn't be an issue. However, than it a much higher bar than you may realize. Imagine someone who tries to lean against a wall or a counter, if their is no method of providing support, you will fall. True, this is an improper action on the part of the player, but all the effort of VR is going into making you feel like you are actually someplace else, that it is real, and someone being so taken with it that they try to rest their weight on it is practically the intended outcome. Plus, you have to be able to handle changes in elevation, stairs, hills, etc - anticipating a drop where one is not present, or visa-versa, is a really good way to get people to stumble. If you are being supported, thats not a problem, when you are standing on a slippery disc...
As far as assigning blame goes, lets look at what parts would be safe individually. If you are sitting down and playing the game, you are at no risk, and this is likely the assumption under which the game was designed. Hence, expecting the game designer to avoid such situations is not reasonable, as it is not how they anticipate the game being used.
Even the headset doesn't create a risk, as it can be used siting down in safety, and nothing about it implies you should be using it in a risky manner.
A omnidirectional treadmill or similar technology then takes that expectation and violates it. It creates the risk, and hence it needs to address it. It is intended for you to play games in it, and hence the existing content of games should not pose a problem. Content that could make you fall already exists and can be anticipated, so it should fall to the designer of the treadmill to account for that. They have both cause to expect it to happen, and the capability to address the issue, independent of the rest of the system. This seems clear to me, though I don't know the legal specifics.
Once we have this knowledge that a treadmill should be providing a safety feature, software written specifically for its use should be able to assume it is present, and if it is lacking then it is not their fault. They may wish to include warnings not to use it without such safety features to ensure they are no to blame, but that seems like it should still fall into a general rule for the treadmill creator.
Flassan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Flassan »

These comments are really helpful. The WizDish will undoubtedly come with safety instructions and legally written terms and conditions.
Be assured we would be devastated if someone got hurt and really want to avoid that. We also genuinely believe that falling off it is highly unlikely to result in injury, especially if they have followed precautions which could include surrounding yourself with common articles like soft furnishings.
To eliminate virtually any risk the only solutions I think will work are a crash mat or as suggested a harness properly mounted to the ceiling.
My real worry with frames is that although they may provide more freedom to throw your weight around, that in itself may mean they don't last forever, and when they do fail they could do so with terrible consequences. But maybe that's being alarmist too? Most health and safety law talks about reasonable precautions and then you have to argue about what reasonable means. Mostly it says that if the cost is prohibitive and the risk very minor then it's not reasonable.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I feel like most people won't have clear areas around their disk, and hence if they fall, it will likely be into or onto something they can't see.
hal10000
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hal10000 »

I'm 6'5" tall and the thought of slipping and having my back land on the rim of the Wiz-Dish is what makes me worry. I just don't see how being in a slippery dish, while blindfolded and being startled won't end up with me in the hospital.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Flassan wrote:These comments are really helpful. The WizDish will undoubtedly come with safety instructions and legally written terms and conditions.
Be assured we would be devastated if someone got hurt and really want to avoid that. We also genuinely believe that falling off it is highly unlikely to result in injury, especially if they have followed precautions which could include surrounding yourself with common articles like soft furnishings.
To eliminate virtually any risk the only solutions I think will work are a crash mat or as suggested a harness properly mounted to the ceiling.
My real worry with frames is that although they may provide more freedom to throw your weight around, that in itself may mean they don't last forever, and when they do fail they could do so with terrible consequences. But maybe that's being alarmist too? Most health and safety law talks about reasonable precautions and then you have to argue about what reasonable means. Mostly it says that if the cost is prohibitive and the risk very minor then it's not reasonable.
I think it's fair to expect your consumer to inspect the safety gear before using. I take a quick look at my ceiling hook every time I use the harness to make sure it's not coming out.

One reason a frame is actually superior to a ceiling hook, btw. Easier to inspect!
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

That cheapest way for safety would be to fence the device in and perhaps upholster it with something soft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flassan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Flassan »

A forum member once sent me this
WizDish in confined space graphic.jpg
He had a very clever idea to do with it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Hehe.

What's the dude in the box on the right for?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

blazespinnaker wrote:Hehe.

Thats his neighbour , he's just waiting for his furniture to be delivered...
It kind of looks like Ken got screwed out of the Dream house when he broke-up with Barbie...
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

That's a spare male RealDoll, for when you wear out your first one. :o

That thing that looks like a WizDish is just a RealDoll rotating display base. :lol:

[Just kidding guys!]
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

geekmaster wrote:

That's a spare male RealDoll, for when you wear out your first one. :lol:
Yes geekmaster is correct, Ken also lost his Kung Fu grip attachment in the Barbie settlment, so he will need to buy a RealDoll...It may be covered under our new health care plan.

Return to “Oculus VR”